Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

100K+ club - Who's already there and how are they holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 02:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 100K+ club - Who's already there and how are they holding up?

I'll be flipping 100K on the clock of my 12' prestige this week and I was wondering who else might already have this kind of mileage or more on theirs?

While I can't take the credit on this (I bought the car with 90K on it in mid Jan) I will have put 10k on it in less than 3 months. My daily commute is 110 miles, so I rack them up quick.

So I thought I'd see who else really drives the their A6/A7 as much or more than I do and see what things have and haven't held up so well so far and what you might change about the car.

I haven't had to do much in the way of Maint yet. I changed the spark plugs 2 weeks ago and I suspect the dealer the PO used never bothered. They were pretty toasted. I will be changing the oil this coming weekend, I expect no issues with that.

However, even after I changed the plugs, there is some vibration at engine idle. Is this normal for the 3.0t? It's not like shake your fillings out levels, it's just enough that it's noticeable and seems like for as smooth as the car is everywhere else, this should be less. I'm going to factor it to maybe be a warn engine/trans mount.

The only real complaint I have is that there's not much room between the break and the accelerator. I have large feet (not Shaq large) and I've recently found that there's more room in this area in an A3 than the A6. Seems odd. I need to get down in there and see if I can find a way to fix that. Maybe trim some metal out of the break pedal or something.

Other than that, the car has held up remarkably well. Everything works as it should and I look forward to flipping 200k on this car before I even think of retiring it. My hope also is that this shows that these cars can hold up very well and last for a long time if you take care of them. I see so many folks dumping them at 30-40k for fear that the will explode or become maint' ****** or something. Then again, some unload them to get the next generation and for that I'm a bit envious.

Anyway, let's here from the rest of you.
The following users liked this post:
Joseph Kohler Jr. (01-02-2021)
Old 04-07-2015, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pushing hard to reach 25k on my '12 Prestige (this week probably!). Good work on racking the miles to you and the previous owner!
Old 04-07-2015, 06:57 AM
wuk
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats...and I agree with the pedal's being too close together...I find myself lightly pressing the gas sometimes when I'm on the brake.
The following users liked this post:
Joseph Kohler Jr. (01-02-2021)
Old 04-07-2015, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Calimus
However, even after I changed the plugs, there is some vibration at engine idle. Is this normal for the 3.0t? It's not like shake your fillings out levels, it's just enough that it's noticeable and seems like for as smooth as the car is everywhere else, this should be less. I'm going to factor it to maybe be a warn engine/trans mount.
It could be worn engine mounts or a few other things at that mileage. You might think about replacing the O2 sensors. They have a life around 100K miles. They still work well enough to prevent the CEL but the older sensors don't work fast enough to give you the highest MPG's.

You can also try a fuel system cleaner. I heard a good brand was Red Line SI-1.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

The O2's are a thought, though like you mentioned, I would think my fuel mileage would suffer. My overall city/highway mixed is 27.4mpg and I routinely see 30-32mpg highway on my trips into work (that will stop once the temps come up to the point I have to turn the AC on).

I haven't run any fuel system cleaner just yet but I have contemplated that it could be carbon buildup on the intake valves. I don't know how the PO actually drive the car, but I'm going to say very gently since the car is in such awesome shape. That could lead to Carbon buildup faster than normal if he never flogged it a bit.

I'll have to look into both the O2 sensors and the carbon issue. O2's will be fairly easy to deal with, I'm trying to think of a good way to clean the intake valves that doesn't involve removing the damn SC. Also have to weigh out weather it's worth it to bother. Like I said, the vibration isn't really enough to care about, it just stands out because the rest of the time, the car is so super smooth.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't run any fuel system cleaner just yet but I have contemplated that it could be carbon buildup on the intake valves. I don't know how the PO actually drive the car, but I'm going to say very gently since the car is in such awesome shape. That could lead to Carbon buildup faster than normal if he never flogged it a bit.

I'll have to look into both the O2 sensors and the carbon issue. O2's will be fairly easy to deal with, I'm trying to think of a good way to clean the intake valves that doesn't involve removing the damn SC
Use of only Top Tier gas would severly limit the carbon buildup problem.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Top Tier is what I use (Quick Trip), but unfortunately I don't know what the PO put in the tank all that time.

However, I've resolved myself that it's really not a major deal as the car runs flawlessly otherwise.

Just over 100 miles till she flips 100K, which means that should happen on my way home from work tomorrow.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

2012 Prestige and only 18.8k miles.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Went right past 100k, now at 300m over.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Went right past 100k, now at 300m over.
I just hit 80,000 km on my 2013 and have been thinking about asking the same question. I bought this one with the intention of keeping it a long time. Nothing unusual to report outside of a few minor things you see posted on this C7 forum.

Quick Reply: 100K+ club - Who's already there and how are they holding up?