Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

100K+ club - Who's already there and how are they holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad to see that someone else drives the snot out of their C7. At this rate, I don't think there's anything that will keep these cars from going much farther, but time will tell.

For now, I'll just keep piling the miles on, with my commute plus outside of work driving, that's about 40K a year. If anything is going to give, I'd imagine I'll find it.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The only big thing I remember reading about (and getting a letter about from Audi) ws the carbon build up thing. But they cover the car to 100,000 miles in the US for that issue, and plus, if I remember right, they've come up with a less expensive/less time consuming fix for that even if it does happen. But I used good gas and push it hard often enough, so hopefully it's not an issue.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Carbon buildup will certainly be a long term issue for these motors. I'm going to look into water injection to potentially help with that. The SC being in the way presents and interesting problem since water doesn't compress.

The question is, is there a way to get the mist small enough to pass though the SC so that it doesn't kill it or will I have to find a way to tap into the intake runners after the SC. Which doesn't leave a lot of room an I think would require pulling the SC to get to. I have some research to do.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Calimus
The question is, is there a way to get the mist small enough to pass though the SC so that it doesn't kill it or will I have to find a way to tap into the intake runners after the SC. Which doesn't leave a lot of room an I think would require pulling the SC to get to. I have some research to do.
I have this shot of the bottom of the supercharger if it helps. Intercoolers are visible in the runners. Introducing a mist into the plastic tubing between the throttle body and filter may be the way to start. It's reversible and I would think, easier to adjust.

Name:  3.0%20V6%20SC%2001_zpsj9e7t47m.jpg
Views: 8308
Size:  84.2 KB
Old 04-16-2015, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

man, that's a lot shorter on the runners that I thought. Thanks for posting that pic up, it provides me with a great idea of how everything looks under the SC now.

I have been doing some research and found that it can be done at the TB. I'm looking at several different kits currently. Not sure when I'll pull the trigger, but this is looking like the best option as it will keep me from having to tear into the top end on a regular basis.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Flipped 111,111k on the clock yesterday. Still going strong. Time for another oil change and I performed tire rotation yesterday.

Anyone else slapping the miles on their A6?
The following users liked this post:
Joseph Kohler Jr. (01-02-2021)
Old 08-17-2015, 02:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had 146,000 on my 2004 3.0.
Bought it at 70,000 and put about $15k in repairs and maintenance (including tires, o2 sensors, timing belt service, oil pump repair, etc) in about 8 years of ownership.

Needed too many things now that I cared to pay for, so I traded it in for a brand new 2015 A6 2.0T quattro. The engine and transmission were still great, however.

Make sure you keep your sunroof channels clean (keep it closed when not using it). I must have had some acorns or something stuck and when I tried to close it, it broke the track. $1800 that I didn't care to pay for, so I just left it closed for the past 5 years.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

helps that you're putting highway miles on, for longevity

wonder what the "wear-down" ratio is...that is to say, if one has driven 50,000 of purely city miles, what's that equivalent to in highway miles for wear and tear? i haven't found any scientific attempts at this

my '13 a6 3.0t is ~22+k miles (6k miles in 9 months), running just fine

Originally Posted by Calimus
Glad to see that someone else drives the snot out of their C7. At this rate, I don't think there's anything that will keep these cars from going much farther, but time will tell.

For now, I'll just keep piling the miles on, with my commute plus outside of work driving, that's about 40K a year. If anything is going to give, I'd imagine I'll find it.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by LeftFrank
Just had 146,000 on my 2004 3.0.
Bought it at 70,000 and put about $15k in repairs and maintenance (including tires, o2 sensors, timing belt service, oil pump repair, etc) in about 8 years of ownership.

Needed too many things now that I cared to pay for, so I traded it in for a brand new 2015 A6 2.0T quattro. The engine and transmission were still great, however.

Make sure you keep your sunroof channels clean (keep it closed when not using it). I must have had some acorns or something stuck and when I tried to close it, it broke the track. $1800 that I didn't care to pay for, so I just left it closed for the past 5 years.

Ugh, that's a bit different from my /06 Acura TL experience over 139,000 miles -- not knocking Audi but in 9 years I had exactly 3 repairs up and above normal maintenance -- starter at 78K miles (Acura covered part and I paid labor), throttle position sensor at approx. 100K miles (under $400 at dealer) and seized right rear control arm (part and labor under $500 at dealer). The rest is maintenance along the lines of brakes, rotors, rear brake caliper rebuild, tires, oil/filter/timing belt and water pump replacement, valve adjustment, coolant, transmission, brake fluid replacements, tires and alignments. I'm selling the car to a friend and had a PPI done today -- three defects -- need 2 new motor mounts and slight oil seep not worth the labor to replace the $4 seal in opinion of tech that did the PPI. My tally is half of LeftFrank's and sounds like LeftFrank's expenses were for period from 70K-146K miles whereas mine are for 0-139,000 miles. Don't get me wrong, I love my new A6 and realize that it is a completely different animal from the Acura and maintenance/repair costs will be well in excess of the old TL. However, 15K for 76,000 miles is a big number IMHO. Here's hoping that all of our new A6s are a bit less spendy in the maintenance/repair department.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have 78k on my 2012 A6 3.0, took delivery with 12 miles...
Now on my 97 A4 1.8tqm, I have 285,000 miles on it, took delivery with 3 miles on it.......

Go Audi!
The following 2 users liked this post by mannya4:
BADANTH (08-29-2019), Joseph Kohler Jr. (01-02-2021)

Quick Reply: 100K+ club - Who's already there and how are they holding up?