Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

12V to USB Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 12V to USB Questions

I'm looking forward to my upcoming '14 S6, and I wondered a couple of things:
  1. Is there a cable that will charge an iPhone 6 Plus (basically needs to be a a couple amps) for AMI?
  2. In the 4 zone climage option rear ports behind the "door" is there clearance room to drop a couple of
    these DC dual high power chargers these DC dual high power chargers
    into the dual DC ports and still allow the door to close? If not, does anyone know of a slimmer high output dual charger that could drop back there?

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2015, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't know if you can close the door with the charger in place but if it does, here a listing for it - $13.50 shipped from NY. If you search eBay using "car charger 2.4" there's hundreds of choices.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Scosche-reVOLT-USB242M-Dual-12-Watt-2-4A-USB-Rapid-Car-Charger-2-Port-Charge-/380955588649?hash=item58b2b8f829
Old 09-22-2015, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks! Anyone use something similar that allows the door to close?
Old 09-22-2015, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Griffin micro 12V USB charger. I have two of them in the back and they are very small and fit nicely. These were the only ones I found that fit and the door can close. They also have a strap built into it so you can pull it out if you want. The straps will not hang out either.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by schalliol
Thanks! Anyone use something similar that allows the door to close?
Yes I use similar and door closes with the one installed on passenger side. However the driver side USB charger hits and keeps door from closing so can only use the one and close the door.

Not sure if it's just bad tolerance in the car's outlet door or the charger itself.
Attached Images  

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 09-22-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the great thoughts! I guess it's only a matter of time until there are dual 4+ amp 12V chargers that will fit.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great thoughts! I guess it's only a matter of time until there are dual 4+ amp 12V chargers that will fit.
I'm a bit confused as to what you want...

First of all, your IPhone 6+ won't charge any faster with a 4+ amp charger than with a 12W or 2.1 amp charger. So the griffin USB charger will charge your phone in about 1.5 hours. In the front you can get a MMI cord with a 30 pin to 8 pin lightening adapter. But that might be an expensive way to charge your phone. I'm not aware of a MMI cord that has the 8 pin lightening. My experience with a previous 2012 A6 only came with a 30 pin MMI cord (blue or red).

I have the 2016 A6 and Audi did away with the MMI slot and put two USB slots and a 12V plug in the front arm rest and two 12V cig plugs in the back under the climate controls. I filled the two rear cig plugs with the griffin USB so when my kiddos are watching their iPads they can have them plugged in. Also my 2 year old was actually putting her fingers in the holes, which made me nervous (another reason to fill them in with something). [The 2012 A6 I owned in Seoul, had both cig slots filled with, one with a cig burner and other with a cap. But the 2016 A6 I have now in the US leave them empty...] As for the two USB slots in the front both charge at 2.1 amps. Both my wife and I have iPhone 6 and they charge as quickly as our 12W wall charger (2.1 amps) as well as wall plug USB outlets built into our home at 2.4 amps. The difference in charge time from the 2.1 amp and 2.4 amps for the iPhone's is none since all iPhones and iPads can't charge faster using over 2.1 amps. The 5W charger the iPhones comes with are 1 amp. Both of our iPhones came with the 12W (2.1) chargers since they are true unlocked global iPhones.

I'm still waiting for Apple to make wireless charging phones and Audi to have wireless chargers built in. Some day...
Old 09-22-2015, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There are 8 pin lightning AMI cables out there, but I don't know if they charge at 12W. It was smart for Audi to do away with the AMI, though I'm not 100% sure if all of the options still work that AMI allowed.

Indeed, the 4+ amp charger is to power both ports with full 12W power. I have one of those in my C6 I end up using both ports in occasionally and just a single 12W for the rear.

I just figured since dual 4+ amp chargers (~2.1 to each port) are pretty cheap, if there's one that fits and allows the doors to close, that would be good. That way if I have guests who have an iPad and iPhone (or similar) they can charge both at full speed. Now, I do think it's unlikely that I'd have two people in back with 4 devices (or I suppose 3 people if one's a kid), but why not go with those if the price is negligible?
Old 09-23-2015, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm interested in hearing what works best for folks. I ended up picking up the MMI/AMI cable for the iPhone on eBay at solid discount (part number ending in AL) but intend to use my old iPhone as an iPod and just leave it in the car. Would be nice to have a dedicated charging solution in place for passengers or myself that isn't the AMI cable.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I just figured since dual 4+ amp chargers (~2.1 to each port) are pretty cheap, if there's one that fits and allows the doors to close, that would be good.
If you're handy, you could cut the two power outlets out and install this charger in place of them. You have the 12 VDC power to hard wire to the charger.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC12-24V-2-4A-5-Port-Car-Charger-USB-Hub-Charger-Power-for-iPhone-Samsung-Phone-/181879087860?hash=item2a58d6a2f4

Quick Reply: 12V to USB Questions