Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 10:47 PM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 220741

Default 18 hours to first damage

A new record?

Just picked up my brand new 2014 A6 3.0 on Friday night.
My 2 year old was stomping around the back seat the next day and stepped on and snapped off the power outlet pull down. It's now just dangling by the wires.

I've been trying to figure out the name of the part and where I can get it and hopefully it's something I can fix myself.

I suspect the dealer will charge me a few hundred to fix it if I have to go that route.
thedjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:42 AM   #2
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 268349

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjm View Post
A new record?

Just picked up my brand new 2014 A6 3.0 on Friday night.
My 2 year old was stomping around the back seat the next day and stepped on and snapped off the power outlet pull down. It's now just dangling by the wires.

I've been trying to figure out the name of the part and where I can get it and hopefully it's something I can fix myself.

I suspect the dealer will charge me a few hundred to fix it if I have to go that route.
Check to see if its actually broken. The place that installed my tint must have stepped on the outlet cover and the same thing happened-the cover was hanging out by the wires. I just snapped it back in place.
Innovation Package
LED Headlights
Cold Weather Package
Formula One 35% Tint
atlanta A6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:03 AM   #3
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 105870

I have a strict no climbing/walking/moving in dada's car rule. They can scramble around in the minivan, but in the A6 I lift them in and out of the seats.
u2jrmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:59 AM   #4
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 213809

Our fix is to just not have kids
forza1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 245076

Check with the dealer, anyway. They may fix it under warranty despite Momentary Tasmanian Devils not being specifically mentioned in the warranty materials. Doesn't cost anything to check.

2012 3.0T A6 Quartz Gray Premium Plus
1999 A6
1973 Audi Fox (80)
rf5b.com
James517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:08 AM   #6
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 22753

Quote:
Originally Posted by James517 View Post
Check with the dealer, anyway. They may fix it under warranty despite Momentary Tasmanian Devils not being specifically mentioned in the warranty materials. Doesn't cost anything to check.
I broke the very same piece with my foot when cleaning the inside of the back window (cleaning that window requires gymnastics skill). When I went in for service, I mentioned the access door was flopping around and they replaced it under warranty. Stuff the door back in as best you can and when in for your 5K service, just look at the service rep with sad, innocent eyes that the thing doesn't seem to be working properly and you should be good to go.

- 2013 A6 3.0T Prestige, Quartz Gray/Black, 19" Sport, Driver Assist, LED headlights,Cold Weather and B&O;
Bridgestone RE970AS tires; XPel Ultimate full front, mirrors and rocker panels, Opti-coat Pro
- 2002 allroad 2.7t - 13y/50K mi and still like new
- 2009 A4 3.2 Prestige w/Nav (sold at 4y/48K mi)
- 2001 A6 2.7t (sold at 8y/98K mi)
snagitseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:15 AM   #7
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 273391

I think that it's legal if you securely mount the child seats in the trunk!
Old 07-01-2014, 04:11 PM   #8
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 259731

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
Our fix is to just not have kids
Exactly ;-) I don't like sharing my toys and essentially I look at my A6 as my non-existent kids college fund money.
Hartmann HS5-209-GA:M wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires

Most recent rides:
2011 Infiniti M37 Sport, 2009 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech
2008 Acura TL Type-S (#2), 2008 Acura TL Type-S (#1), 2007 Acura TL Tech
2007 Camry Hybrid (don't ask)
2006 Acura TL Tech, 2004 Acura TL
2002 Infiniti I35, 2000 Infiniti I30
and over a dozen more before these.
keithl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:17 PM   #9
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 220741

I think I'll try the play-dumb @5K and see what happens. I'll report back, but it'll probably be in 6+ months. It'll take that long for me to get to 5k.
thedjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #10
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 525

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjm View Post
I think I'll try the play-dumb @5K and see what happens. I'll report back, but it'll probably be in 6+ months. It'll take that long for me to get to 5k.
Why wait? You have a warranty - stop in one day and ask one of the SAs about it. The trim on my push-to-open C5 ashtray broke very early in life (maybe not 18hrs) and I just told them that it broke. They didn't ask if I beat on it (which I hadn't) just ordered the replacement part and replaced it. IMO, sooner is better than later, because it may fall under something they fix pre-delivery vs something they fix under "warranty". Plus you've got the emotional pull of "brand new car is broken"....

Quote:
"I went to open it and it was hanging there like that."
I personally wouldn't stand there and insist it must have broken itself, but nor would I bring up anything beyond that. If they go with "normal wear and tear" or "you must have broken it" then:

Quote:
"Sure, I guess the kids could have bumped it - I would have thought it could hold up to casual contact, but what are we talking about dollar-wise just to get it fixed."
Maybe you buy the parts and they put it in for you out of goodwill, maybe worst case you pay the half-hour labor or whatever they charge and you go on with enjoying your new car instead of being grumpy (as I would be!) about it being broken.

Best of luck!
"Turbos make torque, and torque makes fun." -Corky Bell

Please help get PDF manuals from AoA by supporting http://www.audipdfpetition.org
Richard Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement