Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

19" or 20" OE Rims?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Acuransx
If I recall Goldilocks correctly the 19s are the Mama bear variant.........unless of course roads where you live are total sh*t. Stick with your 19s assuming your roads are less than excellent. You will be glad you didn't switch to 20s.

Nakedhoof totally correct regarding ride compliance. Sportstick's car is on 18s and rides more compliant than mine on 19s w/sport suspension.
Thanks, yes, roads here are definitely less than excellent, but not total sh*t. I'll be sticking to the 19s..
Old 12-04-2016, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I need some advice on one last issue - I recently bought some 19" winter tires from TireRack as I had a gift certificate that I needed to use. As I presently have only one set of wheels, I had originally planned on just mounting/unmounting them every early winter/early spring - switching them out with the all seasons that came with my vehicle when I bought it (in 12/15). However, I just read that it's not good for either the rims or the tires to be doing this twice a year, and so for that reason was thinking of buying a new set of wheels, and having one set dedicated for summer/or all seasons, and the other for the winters. Is this true that it's not a good idea to be mounting/unmounting two different sets of tires on the same rims that frequently? I was going to have the dealer's service dept do it each time. Is there really that much of an increased risk that the rims or tires will be damaged in the process? Just not sure if I should be dropping a whole lot on a new set of wheels if it's not necessary..
Old 12-04-2016, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Moonlightblue
Is this true that it's not a good idea to be mounting/unmounting two different sets of tires on the same rims that frequently? I was going to have the dealer's service dept do it each time. Is there really that much of an increased risk that the rims or tires will be damaged in the process? Just not sure if I should be dropping a whole lot on a new set of wheels if it's not necessary..
I've always had a dedicated set of rims for my snow tires. It is:
1. less expensive in the long run - mounting and balancing twice a year is not free
2. reduces the chance of damage from salt, potholes and curbs
3. I can install a set in the drive way in less time than a round trip to the dealer. Any repair shop and switch your tires and sometimes offer it as a service during a oil change
4. any time you mount a tire, there is a chance of bead or rim damage
5. you can sell the set if they don't fit your next car

I usually have dark winter wheels so the dirt is not as obvious.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

+1 on all the above and it now gives you the option of going with 18 inch wheels!!!

Put mine on yesterday. Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails 19" or 20" OE Rims?-img_20161203_140212.jpg  

Last edited by DanfZX14; 12-04-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
+1 on all the above and it now gives you the option of going with 18 inch wheels!!!

Here's mine:

Old 12-04-2016, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DanfZX14

+1 again, and you should look for 18" wheels:

- narrower tire sizes will be easier to find in 18" and you want narrow for winter.
- not good to be driving around on 19" wheels/low aspect ratio tires just as potholes are being born.

The tirerack.com wheels are not that costly, and if you choose some low pressure cast wheels, they will be of better quality than the gravity cast and often lighter weight. Check the specs on their website.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportstick
The tirerack.com wheels are not that costly, and if you choose some low pressure cast wheels, they will be of better quality than the gravity cast and often lighter weight. Check the specs on their website.
Moonlightblue mine were $1495 delivered and did not require centering rings. As a mechanical designer by trade that was important too me. Less parts IS better!
Old 12-04-2016, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I chose the 17" wheels from Tire Rack. Graphite Rial Kodiak wheels - low pressure cast - 23 pounds - 20 lug bolts included. Total price shipped was $1000 plus change with the $130 in Goodyear rebates.

I bought them a week before buying the car since it was November and the car was on summer tires. I thought they looked bland so I added the red wheel rim tape.

Name:  101_0234_zpsmcuzfrmn.jpg
Views: 1247
Size:  135.8 KB
Old 12-05-2016, 01:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I chose the 17" wheels from Tire Rack. Graphite Rial Kodiak wheels - low pressure cast - 23 pounds - 20 lug bolts included. Total price shipped was $1000 plus change with the $130 in Goodyear rebates.

I bought them a week before buying the car since it was November and the car was on summer tires. I thought they looked bland so I added the red wheel rim tape.

wow, I didn't know 17" rims can clear the front brakes.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Inyoury
wow, I didn't know 17" rims can clear the front brakes.
Tire Rack said they would and I can confirm. There's not much more room and I put around 4000 miles on the set last winter.

Name:  101_0117_zpss1rkhifa.jpg
Views: 2712
Size:  148.2 KB