Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2.0t CVT ATF Fluid Change. Maintenance Schedule and Service Manual are Conflicting.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2.0t CVT ATF Fluid Change. Maintenance Schedule and Service Manual are Conflicting.

Hello all,

I have a 2.0t A6 with the CVT. The maintenance schedule says "Change ATF" at 35/75/115k. However the service manual specifically says that the fluid should only be changed if the transmission is serviced/repaired etc. In fact, all I could find in the service manual was instructions for checking/topping off the fluid, and purging all the fluid after a service or repair on the transmission.

I know the 3.0t transmissions are supposed to be maintenance free, but does anyone have any experience regarding the dilemma above?

Any help appreciated,
Zack
Old 10-26-2016, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had mine changed at 35k miles under Audi Care (and the spark plugs too for the 2.0T).

Are you sure this service manual is for the CVT?
Old 10-28-2016, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just checked and I am looking at the correct service manual. The CVT is listed as Gearbox "NDM" in my warranty voucher, and that is what I have selected on the service manual.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, the dealer changed mine according to the maintenance schedule without me having to ask them to do it. You would think that they would only do what's necessary, or what the computer tells them to do, and nothing more.

The CVT and DSG don't have a lifetime fluid fill like a conventional torque converter auto because they use clutches that will wear out and deposit clutch material into the ATF. So a 35-40k mile ATF change interval is probably about right.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our 12 is about to hit 35k or 36k. Debating if I should do this service or not? At the end of the day I think it should be done but why does the manual say no?? Also newmoon why did you replace your plugs do you think I should do that too? I imagine you are out of warranty too....did you get an extended one?

I wonder how much this service is through Audi. I just did this same service on my C63 and Mercedes charge $500.

Last edited by 335i; 11-05-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 335i
Our 12 is about to hit 35k or 36k. Debating if I should do this service or not? At the end of the day I think it should be done but why does the manual say no?? Also newmoon why did you replace your plugs do you think I should do that too? I imagine you are out of warranty too....did you get an extended one?

I wonder how much this service is through Audi. I just did this same service on my C63 and Mercedes charge $500.
The maintenance schedule definitely says that the CVT ATF and the spark plugs for the 2.0L TFSI engine should be changed at 35k, 75k, 115k miles.

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...-Year-2012.pdf

The maintenance schedule for each model year can be found here:
https://www.audiusa.com/myaudi/service

I think a lot of mechanics and even some dealers or service writers are unfamiliar with the CVT because it is a bit uncommon and unconventional, so they don't know about the relatively short ATF change interval. But like I said, I do think it is necessary because of the clutch wear.

Similarly, changing the spark plugs at 35k miles is relatively short, but it's definitely listed on the maintenance schedule. I think it's because of the way the TFSI (fuel stratified injection) makes more soot and exhaust particles which can build up on the spark plugs.

Another member PM'ed me and said the dealer wanted to charge $700 for the CVT fluid change and $300 for the spark plugs. That's why I got Audi Care for ~$800 because I knew it included these items.

I am out of warranty, and didn't get an extended warranty. But I have paid off my car, so now I'm banking the $600+/mo to pay for repairs and maintenance. I think I will easily come out ahead.

So far, my car has been solid with only one problem of a faulty A/C pressure sensor leaking out the refrigerant, which was replaced under warranty. Original tires and brakes are still good after 50k miles. For service, I think I will do the 55k mile myself, or get an independent mechanic because it is just oil and air filter change and brake fluid change. But I may buy Audi Care Select for $819 for the 65k and 75k services because the 75k once again includes a CVT fluid and spark plug change.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 335i
Also newmoon why did you replace your plugs do you think I should do that too? I imagine you are out of warranty too....did you get an extended one?

Don't confuse Audi Care with an extended warranty. Only Audi Care would cover scheduled maintenance - an extended warranty would not. Just as a warranty would cover repairs and Audi Care would not. They are two separate things.