Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

20 inch Rims and 2 Flats

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61
Yes, I learned my lesson with my previous vehicle (which only had 18" wheels but used low profile tires and had a number of blowouts) I eventually switched to 17" wheels in that car due to the blowouts and ride quality

When I looked at the A6, I calculated how much protection I would get from each tire with 18, 19 or 20 inch rims and immediately ruled out the 20" rims. The 19" (even though I did not like the Audi design and replaced them with nicer aftermarket wheels) were a good compromise and provided more protection than my old vehicle with 17" wheels

You do have to watch if you live in an area with not the best roads, especially those impacted by winter weather
20" for summer, 18" winter.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw an A7 with flat on RT24 last week. Guess he did not have 18" as an option but to run over the dang holes. Feel bad for you guys.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:17 AM
PCC
Audiworld Junior Member

My S8 is the first car I've owned with 20" tires. When I left the dealer in the summer the salesman tried twice to sell me "wheel and tire" insurance. I basically laughed and waved him off.

The wife has had two flats and a cracked rim this winter. He had the last laugh. I know have winter and summer rims. Expensive but necessary!
Old 03-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Banned

This is the first car I've had in ages that didn't have 19's or 20's. Last 5 were 20", 20", 19", 20", 20". This time, I purposely found a car without the Sport package so I could have the 18's. Even so, I've already replaced 1 tire this winter and the roads aren't getting any better, so more may be on the way.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Tip of the day for those of us in the wintery climes: Do NOT drive through standing pools water if at all possible. Many a deep pothole has found a nice, snug home hidden beneath those seemingly innocuous, small pools of water.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Tip of the day for those of us in the wintery climes: Do NOT drive through standing pools water if at all possible. Many a deep pothole has found a nice, snug home hidden beneath those seemingly innocuous, small pools of water.
^^^THIS^^^
Old 03-20-2014, 04:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

When I was researching the a6 I wanted one with the sport package and 20" rims but after considering the winters and potholes up here in New England I settled for one with the 19" wheel option. I hit a puddle with a hidden crater a few weeks ago so hard I was certain I did damage to either the wheel or tire. Ended up fine though so I am happy with my decision. Would like to have the three spoke steering wheel though.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PCC
My S8 is the first car I've owned with 20" tires. When I left the dealer in the summer the salesman tried twice to sell me "wheel and tire" insurance. I basically laughed and waved him off.

The wife has had two flats and a cracked rim this winter. He had the last laugh. I know have winter and summer rims. Expensive but necessary!
The salesman did warn me when I asked about the 20" option. He goes, "forget about 20" in NJ. I do not want to see you come here with flats and broken rim"

Guess he was right!
Old 03-20-2014, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mc52
I hit a puddle with a hidden crater a few weeks ago so hard I was certain I did damage to either the wheel or tire. Ended up fine though so I am happy with my decision. Would like to have the three spoke steering wheel though.
Be glad you didn't end up with a three spoke wheel from hitting the pothole.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Greetings, new member here and still trying to learn how to use this forum. I'm considering pulling the trigger on a 2015 A6 TDI. I like the looks of the Black Optics Package however I am concerned about the ride quality as that package forces you into 20" wheels and Sport Tuned Suspension. Has anyone been able to drive both the described version and the standard suspension with 18" wheels for coparison? Also, being as Audi's do not have much of a dealer holdback, how close to invoice might one expect to purchase one of these?
Thanks in advance for any feedback that can be provided.
Bill

Quick Reply: 20 inch Rims and 2 Flats