Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2012 A6 MMI Audi Connect upgrade to support 4G LTE

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 A6 MMI Audi Connect upgrade to support 4G LTE

Hello, I have a 2012 A6 Quattro Prestige where I have T-Mobile 3G service via Audi Connect. Does anyone know if the MMI in my A6 can support a 4G update? If not in it's current configuration, does anyone know if it is up-gradable (via hardware) that will support 4G LTE? If so, does anyone know the extent of the upgrade and ball park cost?
Thanks!!
Old 03-24-2017, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I asked that question at the dealership, and they said that the whole unit, with the processor is different, and that is not available.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

No there is no upgrade to LTE, however there is technically an upgrade to HSPA (3.5G) and HSPA+ (3.75G). Your modem is limited to the slowest version of 3G called UMTS. Starting with MY2014, Audi added support for the faster 3.5G and 3.75G networks.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We recently bought a used 2013 allroad Prestige with the full MMI+ package, and found the original owner had never even activated the Connect feature, and that the 6-month free subscription had not been used. While it was great that they honored that and activated it for us, we have now learned about the T-Mobile network changes, as we're experiencing the degradation to 2-G speeds in many areas (which makes it all but worthless).

So upon inquiring of Audi where/how we might get the modem upgrade discussed in this thread, I was told that 1) it was not available to 2nd owners, and 2 & 3 - it was only available to those original owners who had activated and continued to subscribe to the service, AND lived in an area where the T-Mobile tower change-overs have taken place. While this - for a FREE upgrade, was not unexpected (though - I would assert that it should have been treated as a recall, and made available to any and all owners, regardless) - I couldn't believe I was told it was not available at all, for purchase!

It occurs to me that there must be some of this hardware (just a chip? or a modem...which these days isn't much more than a chip!) floating around somewhere. I would be most appreciative if anyone has any information as to where/how this might be found.

Also, in searching online I came across a story on a system upgrade to 4G LTE capability offered with a company called Gemalto (see: http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/au...-chip/)....but haven't found any further info about if/when/how this might be available (or for what models). Again - I'd appreciate any info anyone might have....
Old 03-31-2017, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wcapital
We recently bought a used 2013 allroad Prestige with the full MMI+ package, and found the original owner had never even activated the Connect feature, and that the 6-month free subscription had not been used. While it was great that they honored that and activated it for us, we have now learned about the T-Mobile network changes, as we're experiencing the degradation to 2-G speeds in many areas (which makes it all but worthless).

So upon inquiring of Audi where/how we might get the modem upgrade discussed in this thread, I was told that 1) it was not available to 2nd owners, and 2 & 3 - it was only available to those original owners who had activated and continued to subscribe to the service, AND lived in an area where the T-Mobile tower change-overs have taken place. While this - for a FREE upgrade, was not unexpected (though - I would assert that it should have been treated as a recall, and made available to any and all owners, regardless) - I couldn't believe I was told it was not available at all, for purchase!

It occurs to me that there must be some of this hardware (just a chip? or a modem...which these days isn't much more than a chip!) floating around somewhere. I would be most appreciative if anyone has any information as to where/how this might be found.

Also, in searching online I came across a story on a system upgrade to 4G LTE capability offered with a company called Gemalto (see: http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/au...-chip/)....but haven't found any further info about if/when/how this might be available (or for what models). Again - I'd appreciate any info anyone might have....
Can't you just pop in an AT&T or Verizon 3G sim?
Old 03-31-2017, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Hockenheim
Can't you just pop in an AT&T or Verizon 3G sim?
MY2013 with the original modem cannot support the AT&T or new T-Mo 3G band.

Originally Posted by wcapital
While this - for a FREE upgrade, was not unexpected (though - I would assert that it should have been treated as a recall, and made available to any and all owners, regardless) - I couldn't believe I was told it was not available at all, for purchase!

If you live in in one of the updated T-Mo locations, dealers should be able to supply the part and do the upgrade with you paying for it. If not, Superswiss, one of our Audi Connect experts, had a link to the module available for purchase online. I can't locate the post right now but perhaps he will show up and repost it.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
MY2013 with the original modem cannot support the AT&T or new T-Mo 3G band.

If you live in in one of the updated T-Mo locations, dealers should be able to supply the part and do the upgrade with you paying for it. If not, Superswiss, one of our Audi Connect experts, had a link to the module available for purchase online. I can't locate the post right now but perhaps he will show up and repost it.
The part # is 8T0-051-431. ECS sells it. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...kit/8t0051431/.

However, the part alone won't do you any good without a dealer willing to install and code it. Finding a dealer who is willing to do the work seems to be a challenge. One person so far has successfully convinced their service advisor to do the work. See https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post24945112
Old 03-31-2017, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
The part # is 8T0-051-431. ECS sells it. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...kit/8t0051431/.

However, the part alone won't do you any good without a dealer willing to install and code it. Finding a dealer who is willing to do the work seems to be a challenge. One person so far has successfully convinced their service advisor to do the work. See https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post24945112
Also here for less:
Converter Kit | Genuine Audi | 8T0-051-431 : Audi Parts | audionlineparts.com
Old 04-04-2017, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, snagitseven and superswiss.

My first inquiries at my local dealer's service and parts department found a distinct lack of knowledge/information (much less than I now have from this and a few other threads!) on this topic - as well as on how the "system update" function of the MMI+ works) - though I haven't yet made an effort to work my way thru the personnel to find someone who really can help.

I'm quite disappointed in Audi, generally...in the user interface, capabilities, upgradeability etc. - of this supposedly premium, state-of-the-art system. Even my first generation Samsung Note 1, still in backup use while years older than this allroad, is far superior for data, music, WiFi, maps etc. (examples - apps update constantly, Google Maps runs efficiently....uses micro-SD without limitation of FAT32 formatting...and on and on!).

My better half, whose allroad this is, will probably be happier sticking with her phone, other than connecting via bluetooth for speaker and other phone functions (these do seem to work well). I certainly can't see spending several $ hundred paying for parts and Audi service labor - to end up with a STILL obsolete 3.5G system!

What really would be useful IMHO would be an interface that allowed the smart phone to do all the work, with the Audi MMI simply controlling it and using the car's screen like an external monitor for the phone. Or even an elegant, built-in dashboard mount for a smartphone, or docking station for a tablet! Then the technology could advance at the speed of the telecom industry, while Audi sticks with all the other things it does so well.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I was just at the dealer with my 2012 Prestige. The service manager says they no longer sell or install the modem upgrade because it was not working properly. He said I'm basically SOL and will have to deal with the useless 2G in my area. They also want $500 for a map update....yikes!

Quick Reply: 2012 A6 MMI Audi Connect upgrade to support 4G LTE