Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2012 A6 Prestige - Akebono Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 11:34 AM
CFO
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2012 A6 Prestige - Akebono Brakes?

After 64,000 miles, the “Brake Pad” error light came up. I knew immediately it was for the rear brakes because the Audi Service shop had been flagging it for replacement for almost 2 years. I called a couple of Audi dealers and got similar quotes that I considered a bit high for replacing the rear pads, rotors and sensors. Went to see a highly recommended local independent guy that quoted 25% lower than the Audi dealers. I’ll go with him since this is a simple job.

However, he said he will be using Akebono brake pads. Has anyone used this? What’s been your experience with the brand?
Old 08-08-2016, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,168 Likes on 912 Posts

Akebono makes a good pad, lots of people like them. IIRC they are a ceramic compound vs. semi-metallic. A tiny less initial bite, but low noise, low dust, and long life.

I believe you may need a vag-com reset to do the rears, due to integrated parking brake or something of that nature, but I will let an expert chime in on that...
Old 08-08-2016, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are good pads with low dust and no noise. See three below on "Brake pad recommendations". Yes, the mechanic guy needs a VAG-COM to open and close the electronic parking brakes....he should know it.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:34 PM
CFO
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. This is helpful.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by CFO
Thanks guys. This is helpful.
No problem!

You mentioned sensors, and that's a good thing! But just FYI for anyone else... the senors ARE CHEAP. There is absolutely no reason not to do them with pads.

It's kind of like doing a clutch and ignoring the TOB (throw out bearing). It's another $50 (in parts) but will save you $400+ in labor when the bearing starts making funny noises 10k miles after doing a new clutch; and you need to essentially do the whole thing over again. Parts like this are cheap insurance to avoid tons of frustration down the road...
Old 08-09-2016, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I didn't read where the OP stated he would forgo the wear sensors, in fact he stated he was quoted for rotors, pads and sensors. FWIW, most companies include the wear sensor wires with their pads but not all. For example, Audi includes the rear sensor with the OEM rear pads but curiously, not the one for the front. (There is only one sensor for each axle on the left sides, not for each wheel). I just ordered OEM pads and added a third party replacement sensor wire for the front left side for $15.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currently running Akebono's on my '14 TDI; can confirm they bite well, no noise and most definitely no dust!
Old 08-09-2016, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I didn't read where the OP stated he would forgo the wear sensors, in fact he stated he was quoted for rotors, pads and sensors. FWIW, most companies include the wear sensor wires with their pads but not all. For example, Audi includes the rear sensor with the OEM rear pads but curiously, not the one for the front. (There is only one sensor for each axle on the left sides, not for each wheel). I just ordered OEM pads and added a third party replacement sensor wire for the front left side for $15.
Sorry, I never meant to say he would skip sensors. He did mention sensors and that's a good thing. Last thing I want to hear is someone forgot / skipped out and pays to put them in later which is a waste of time and money after the fact.

I didn't mean to cause confusion.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
Sorry, I never meant to say he would skip sensors. He did mention sensors and that's a good thing. Last thing I want to hear is someone forgot / skipped out and pays to put them in later which is a waste of time and money after the fact.
No problem. Actually, I don't believe you can reuse the sensor wires as they are designed to break when the pads wear down to 3mm. If they break and are not replaced with the new pads, the brake warning light will always be on.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am thinking of going with Akebono and Adam Rotors when my time comes which should be in about a year and some change from now. I have used akebono with my previous cars (C5 & C6) and been very happy with them. Initial bite performance vs OEM is so minimal that it can go unnoticed by some. BTW, Akebonos do come with sensors for those that are unsure.

Last edited by jujuC6; 08-15-2016 at 12:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 2012 A6 Prestige - Akebono Brakes?