Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2013 A6 LED Headlights v HID Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grapeking
You guys are makeing me regret not ordering them....and my car is due in two weeks so it is too late! Oh well.
If you really want to add the LED's I'm pretty sure, your dealer would put in a new order for you. They would just sell your original car to someone else once it comes in. Of course, it would also mean an extra 2 month or so wait. Just something to consider.

My A6 was scheduled for delivery early Nov but I decided to add an option a couple weeks ago so my sales guy just put in a new order. My A6 delivery is now scheduled for end of Dec/early Jan instead. It's a pain adding to the wait but not bad if you consider the big picture ($65k price and owning for 5+ years).
Old 10-28-2012, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hmmm...that's a thought. I'll have to mull that one over. Thanks. What did you add?
Old 10-28-2012, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best option for the money don't get car without it
Old 10-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hmmm...that's a thought. I'll have to mull that one over. Thanks. What did you add?
Long story but basically switched the 20" wheels for the 20" Sports Package. The ride was nice but just couldn't live with the slightly higher stance of the standard suspension.

For what it's worth, the full LED's was one of the first things that caught my eye when I first looked at the A6. Along with the other comments, I think it really adds that extra level of luxury and distinction.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DKYC
For what it's worth, the full LED's was one of the first things that caught my eye when I first looked at the A6. Along with the other comments, I think it really adds that extra level of luxury and distinction.
And Audi claims they keep the vampires away.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DKYC
If you really want to add the LED's I'm pretty sure, your dealer would put in a new order for you. They would just sell your original car to someone else once it comes in. Of course, it would also mean an extra 2 month or so wait. Just something to consider.

My A6 was scheduled for delivery early Nov but I decided to add an option a couple weeks ago so my sales guy just put in a new order. My A6 delivery is now scheduled for end of Dec/early Jan instead. It's a pain adding to the wait but not bad if you consider the big picture ($65k price and owning for 5+ years).
+1

Grapeking: When I went in for my car, I did not have the LED lights anywhere near my must have options. If you look at my spec in my signature, I had all the rest of those options on my list.

When I went to the dealer, my sales guy did a search, and my A6 was on a boat 2 weeks out w/LED headlights. Talked it over with my dad on whether I should wait or take it w/the $1400 LED headlights. We did the math and what it added to the monthly payment was negligible, so I took it.

I have to say that I am glad I got them though, I really like the look. Also, the regular Xenon's have that Winking thing that I don't like (which is correctable via VAG-COM mod that I have performed on many other owners cars).
Old 10-29-2012, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

What is "the winking thing"?
Old 10-29-2012, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Diogenes
What is "the winking thing"?
Audis with the LED DRLs (non-LED headlight cars) typically will turn off when the directional signals are engaged. That causes a one-sided "winking" effect as the side with turn signal flashing has the DRL turn off on that side. Wth the Vag-Com software and cable, you can change this behavior so that the DRL on that side stays on when the directional signal light is flashing.

A6's that have LED headlights, however, use the DRL itself as orange turn signals, therefore, since the normally white DRL LED lamps can't be two colors at the same time, the "winking" cannot be changed with Vag-Com. It's not annoying like the non-LED headlight DRLs though, as the orange turn signal lights are in the same DRL location and configuration. Looks kinda cool to me.

Last edited by snagitseven; 10-29-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GermanGarage
The LED lights have a much, much better appearance when the lights are on and when they are off. Audi designs the lights as a big part of the lines of the car. Trust me, not your normal headlight upgrade. Highly recommended.
Thanks.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bobinwa
+1

I asked the same question about a month ago before I bought my A6 and based on all the positive replies, I went with the LED and I am so happy that I did. I haven't driven an A6 with the HID lights but I can't imagine that they could compare to the LED's at night. They really light up the road. It's not just the area they cover, but the quality of the light. Truly impressive. I would get them again in a heartbeat.
Great insight! Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2013 A6 LED Headlights v HID Headlights