Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Cross Shopping

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross Shopping

I've ordered and put down a deposit on a '14 A6, but I've been trying to keep an open mind around the competitors in this segment. I've driven everything but the Benz and the Infiniti which I'll do next week, so my question is this:

If you legitimately researched and cross-shopped at least a couple of the A6 competitors, and still ended up with an A6, I'd like to know why. What did you look for in a car of this type? What didn't you like about the competition, and what did you 'settle' for in the A6? (Things you don't like, but looked the other way - like the too light steering)

Thanks,
David
Old 10-18-2013, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

You have put a deposit down on a car and are still shopping for a car?

Last edited by Omeletpants; 10-18-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I came out of an Infiniti M37 Sport that I had for 38 months and got into a 14 A6. I don't like the MB E class interior, also not a fan of the BMW 5 interior. I seriously considered the Lexus GS 350, but did not like that dumb mouse controller or the disjointed look of the dash. I loved the interior of my M37 as well as the exterior. The A6 is so much more refined ride and power train than the Infiniti and to a lesser degree the Lexus. The Infiniti was a great cruiser with some handling, but even my non sport A6 will dance circles around the Infiniti or Lexus in handling. I loved the old school hydraulic power steering in the Infiniti and hate the numb arcade game like steering in the Audi. I am not a big fan of the cheap leather in the A6 or the firm somewhat uncomfortable seats in the A6. I loved the luxurious materials in the Infiniti and Lexus and feel that is where Audi falls short. The tech in the Audi is awesome, the MMI and navi and Google integration are by far the best navi head unit I have had or seen in any car I have owned or shopped. The engine in the Audi is super smooth and silky and combined with the 8AT is an amazing linear delivery of gobs of torque. The Infiniti 3.7 is dated and raspy, and the 7AT will hesitate and hunt for gears once in a while. The Infiniti resale will drop like a rock, if you go that route lease it. My M37S was virtually flawless in 38 months and 45K miles. I enjoyed my Infiniti, but the Audi is really in a better class. Also keep in mind the Infiniti is still a 2013 and the 14 will not be out for another 2-3 months, if is also in year 4 of its run and the tech is dated, actually archaic compared to the Audi. I would wait to see when Infiniti refreshes the M with the same tech in the Q50 which won't likely happen for another 2 years.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Banned

I'm coming from a 2008 E320 Bluetec. I briefly drove the new E-class but I'm specifically interested in the diesels. I'm not thrilled about the 4-banger diesel in the new E-class. I looked at the BMW 535d but it's very, very expensive. The Audi A6 won because I have experience with a 2010 VW Jetta TDI and I never had any problems with it all the way to 115k miles. Conversely, my E320 has needed some TLC at 50k and 75k miles which is absurd. Things like a $245 charge to readapt the air cleaners on the bluetec Merc really put DIY into perspective for me... I was fine with DIY on my TDI Jetta.

But the A6 won because a fully loaded A6 Prestige costs less than a fully loaded E250 and way, way less than a 535d fully loaded.

Plus, the A6 is 1,000Lbs lighter than the BMW. And the Quattro system is mechanical vs the Merc's 4matic which uses the brakes.

I also like the adaptive cruise on the Audi and the navigation functions on the A6, especially the ability to hide the screen - really helps too.

Go prestige... it's worth it.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

"If you legitimately researched and cross-shopped at least a couple of the A6 competitors, and still ended up with an A6, I'd like to know why. What did you look for in a car of this type? What didn't you like about the competition, and what did you 'settle' for in the A6? (Things you don't like, but looked the other way - like the too light steering)"

Shopped:
X3, X5
535i
IS350
RX350
TL
C250

came from 2011 Audi A4 Quattro Premium

"Settled" on Prestige TDI A6

Wanted: More space, less jerking around with acceleration and braking, better fuel economy, adaptive cruise control, LED lighting for headlights and interior, 8 speed automatic (fuel economy), better driving range (less stops between fill ups), quattro or all wheel drive,

Competition: BMW's steering wheel with m sport package is super nice, but fully loaded... wayy too pricey. No direct diesel competitor other than 535d.
IS350 too small
X5 too pricey
RX350 ALMOST bought it but gas mileage not good enough and hybrid too pricey
TL didn't look right
C250 too small and too low, E class too pricey.

Settled: $1500 loyalty rebate helped to settle
No adaptive suspension
No iphone app to start car (that I know of)
No panoramic sunroof
no power close trunk (but pops open great!)
trunk space could be every so slightly bigger... but its still adequate
t-mobile is the only carrier for the wifi hotspot and audi connect
Way too easy to get a speeding ticket...

Not sure if that helps.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks guys. This helps. BTW, I did order a Prestige - although lightly optioned (18" wheels, no LEDs). Early on, I discounted the Benz and Infiniti without driving them, so I guess I"m spending too much time second guessing myself now. I don't have an intention of canceling my order. Since this is a pretty large purchase for me, and I can only have one, I've asked myself 'Which car would I most regret NOT buying?" and it always comes up the A6.

I guess I was just looking for a bit of confirmation I've made the right choice. First time actually ordering (and waiting for) a new car.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I briefly considered every car in its class, but really it was down to the A6 3.0 or a BMW 535i. I previously had a BMW 530i. Part of my decision was definitely I just wanted to try something different - had never owned an Audi before.

The ultimate decision came down to I really liked the technology on the Audi better, the Audi was a hair faster than the BMW, and I really like how it looks. On the BMW plus side, I thought the BMW seats were more comfortable and interior looked a little more luxury. The prices were close enough that wasn't a factor.

I am super happy with my Audi decision - love my car.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 188 Likes on 130 Posts

I cross shopped an M37 that they offered me a 14% discount on, a GS, and a Cayman S. I absolutely loved the Cayman but it has so many shortcomings that it really is best suited as a second or 3rd car. The GS had a great level of refinement but was boring to drive.
I am loyal to Nissan but as mentioned here, its getting dated and it just felt cheap and unrefined compared to the A6.
I have test driven almost every BMW and Mercedes sedan and didn't love them. Plus you see them everywhere and I like something a bit different. The A6 is just so refined and quiet plus its stunning with the right packages and wheels. So many compliments on my car that I never recevied on previous cars.

The settling part really is around the seats as they arent as comfortable as some other car brands out there. The only suggestion I have is to look at the S6-it can be fairly close in price (10k) to a fully loaded prestige model A6 and has some great features including the option for better seats and a lot more power.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Banned

IMO, your choice is a no-rainer. The A6 is the better car all-around. The BMW 5-series does have awesome seats, but it's very expensive. The Mercedes is apparently going downmarket and that's not for me. In fact, Audi is on pace to out-sell BMW for the ump-teenth straight month again. I can believe the sales manager who told me because my A6 TDI order was placed Sep 19 and as of today, there's still no build date or ETA. I've been told early January... maybe.

Originally Posted by david55838
Thanks guys. This helps. BTW, I did order a Prestige - although lightly optioned (18" wheels, no LEDs). Early on, I discounted the Benz and Infiniti without driving them, so I guess I"m spending too much time second guessing myself now. I don't have an intention of canceling my order. Since this is a pretty large purchase for me, and I can only have one, I've asked myself 'Which car would I most regret NOT buying?" and it always comes up the A6.

I guess I was just looking for a bit of confirmation I've made the right choice. First time actually ordering (and waiting for) a new car.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:29 PM
DBV
AudiWorld Member

I have driven the A6 TDI, BMW 535d and Mercedes E250 and liked all of them and would be happy with any of them. I like the power of the A6 and BMW, but like the fuel economy of the E250.

Quick Reply: Cross Shopping