Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2015 A6 - few newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 07:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 A6 - few newbie questions

I am going to pick up my 2015 A6 Prestige (first Audi) from the dealer in the next few days (had ordered it and arrived yesterday), and had a quick question on the default Apple AMI cable that comes with it - is the 30-pin version or the newer lightning version? If the former, then I will see if the dealer can replace it with the latter.

I found the following contained good information also:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...rized-2840907/

However, at:

Audi Parts - Audi Genuine Parts & Accessories eStore

I see other variations of the lighting cables model numbers that end with K and M, etc. so was wondering how they are different from the A and C ones.

Also, I noticed that there are no splash (mud) guards for it (since its the sports line), I am curious why it's not needed for them?

Thanks for any input on these.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

You will likely get the older 30 pin/AMI "K" cable with the car although you might get the newer 30 pin red grommet "R" cable (reread my MMI Entertainment Summary for detailed descriptions and compatibility). The others you see are for basic non-Apple use with usb or headphone jack cables. The AC (audio only) and AD (audio and video) Lightning/AMI cables have been replaced by an AL version although some have found issues with it including no video.

Most dealers will not switch out the AMI cable that comes with the car as it would have to come from the parts dept. Most don't seem to carry the Lightning cable in stock.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Welcome - and glad to see a fellow Seattlite

Re your post: I rarely use my AMI cable (read: never), and you won't either - you'll be BT'ing 99.9% of the time I'd bet. I just have a regular charger in the center console and plug my phone in, if the battery's ever low.

Post some pics of the new machine asap!
Old 12-01-2014, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I bought my new one last week and it came with the old 30pin connector, plus connectors for other devices/usb/1/2.5mm/etc

I tried to use the USB one with my iPhone 6 cable but it didn't recognize the device. I then bought a 30pin to Lightning adapter from Apple and so far that has mostly worked... album art not showing up however (don't have the red cable version).

I have now bought an SD card and have copied music onto that, which is actually pretty convenient as I don't have to plug phone in now. I also have artwork showing up.

While bluetooth worked to stream music, I couldn't change the artist/folder from my wheel controls which really sucked. So I disabled that for MMI use because you also can't have bluetooth enabled and plug it into the console - it gets confused and plays neither.

I have pondered getting the proper Lightning cable from Audi but it's $81 just to get album art as far as I can tell (plus video I hear but I don't care about that).

That's been my experience so far - hope it helps.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Seattlite_A6C7
Welcome - and glad to see a fellow Seattlite

Re your post: I rarely use my AMI cable (read: never), and you won't either - you'll be BT'ing 99.9% of the time I'd bet. I just have a regular charger in the center console and plug my phone in, if the battery's ever low.

Post some pics of the new machine asap!
While Bluetooth Audio has many advantages, it is limited in it's function and display with the MMI as compared to using an AMI cable (or SD card/Jukebox).

My A6 setup for external media is as follows (in order of preferred sound quality and my usage)

- SD cards or Jukebox for music and video (Jukebox while limited in capacity, has the album browser and global random song play. SD card randomizes only on an album although the card can be a much larger capacity). All files AAC 256kbps.
- iPhone 5s using Bluetooth Audio for Pandora, other streaming apps and iTunes for audio (limited MMI control and info display)
- Old iPhone 3gs (no longer a phone) used as iPod in center console with red grommet AMI cable for audio and video
Old 12-03-2014, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, I also got the 30-pin connector with my 2015.

c3picco -- I didn't receive the other AMI adapters that you mention (usb, etc). Are you located in the US? Did you order those separately, or did they just show up with the car?
Old 12-03-2014, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by joebird
Yes, I also got the 30-pin connector with my 2015.

c3picco -- I didn't receive the other AMI adapters that you mention (usb, etc). Are you located in the US? Did you order those separately, or did they just show up with the car?
In NA, the AMI kit with the extra cables is a separate ordered accessory item. Otherwise, you get just the one 30 pin AMI cable included with a new Audi.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

[QUOTE=joebird;24630639]Yes, I also got the 30-pin connector with my 2015.

c3picco -- I didn't receive the other AMI adapters that you mention (usb, etc). Are you located in the US? QUOTE]

It's ironic that you ask for "location" but you didn't post yours either.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for sharing experiences, really appreciate it. I

Picked up the car yesterday, still getting used to the various MMI stuff, but I really like the heads up display so far.

For the adapter, it did only come with the 30-pin adapter.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

You got me there. Just added.

Quick Reply: 2015 A6 - few newbie questions