Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2015 A6 front grill crack?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 07:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 A6 front grill crack?

Today I noticed a malfunction indicator that the brake guard, etc. were not working (no sensor vision). I checked the front of the car (where the sensors are) and was surprised to find a crack in the grill and a vent(?) on top of the sensor coming off (pics attached).

I am pretty sure I didn't hit anything (there are no scratches, etc. anywhere) and I would be surprised if someone hit the car (and left no scratches, etc.). Will be taking it to the dealer tomorrow, but wanted to check on this forum if someone else has experienced this before?

Thanks for any input.
Attached Images   
Old 08-12-2015, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably hit a deep pothole for that to happen.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Just a guess:
Maybe you hit an unusually high parking lot curb stop at some speed. Perhaps you pulled in at the mall with just the driver, loaded the vehicle with passengers and purchases, then backed out with the car sitting lower?
It seems pretty clear something like contact pushed the components up and broke the plastic/breakable stuff. There may well be scratches and such visible under the car.
Attached Images   
Old 08-12-2015, 10:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thats what the dealer is saying - there is a crack in the bumper at the bottom and suspects that the car went over a parking curb and then when it backed up it broke the plastic stuff. Suggested I take it to a body shop to have the bumper and grill replaced ($$$)...

Fragile beasts these cars are, I don't even recall or heard anything scratching or otherwise when parking, so the impact must have been real subtle and am surprised how much damage it caused. I guess the honeymoon phase is over.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The front camera is great for parking close to the concrete bumpers, I use mine every time I park. I stop a foot back, enable the camera and then inch forward while looking at the display. With the sport suspension the bumper becomes a target for destruction.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
The front camera is great for parking close to the concrete bumpers, I use mine every time I park. I stop a foot back, enable the camera and then inch forward while looking at the display. With the sport suspension the bumper becomes a target for destruction.
I do exactly the same thing!
Old 08-13-2015, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

A similar thing happened to me, but it was a different car. I used to have a Lexus ISF and while parking forward, my wife went too far and hit the curb at a parking lot. Cracked and bend the bottom bumper part. Now we both park pulling backwards. The rearview camera is great. Unfortunately, the Audi's rear cameras viewing quality is sub par during the night. If you don't remember doing it, could you have used a valet service that might have done that?
Old 08-13-2015, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by arbees
Fragile beasts these cars are, I don't even recall or heard anything scratching or otherwise when parking, so the impact must have been real subtle and am surprised how much damage it caused. I guess the honeymoon phase is over.
I am very old school and out of synch with a lot of the preferences on this board. I am very wary of sport suspensions and suggestions that cars be lowered since I have only this one car (2013 A6) as my daily driver and everything car. In the real world where I live there are many bad roads, potholes, rutted driveways and such that I have to deal with virtually every day. As an example, the library in my village has a dirt parking lot and the entry driveway has holes and ruts that can be 8” or more deep. I literally crawl in, dodging from side to side to keep from getting hung up. When I vacation in places like Vegas and LA I envy the smooth roads and parking lots.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
When I vacation in places like Vegas and LA I envy the smooth roads and parking lots.
Interesting, your description of the library entrance reminded me of LA roads. I frequently change lanes to choose the least of the "speed bumps" that Caltrans seems to specialize in building into their freeways.
I have also noticed lately that there is a lot more "repair" work going on with the freeways and surface streets lately whereas they used to completely resurface.
LA has gone from being "LA's just a great big freeway" to LA's just a great big bump. We don't have pot holes on the freeways but numerous ghost lanes, concrete joint mismatches, seam mismatches and bridges that represent launch ramps are fairly common. The more modern the "repair" or construction the worse the bump is.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

For folks in the Seattle area, wanted some advice: the dealer (and Audi) mention Queen City Auto in Redmond as the authorized shop for body work - has anyone gotten repairs done there? Any feedback and/or better place to take the car?

Appreciate any input.

Quick Reply: 2015 A6 front grill crack?