Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2015 headlight style for 2016 model?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I feel the original design of the LED headlights is more distinctive, especially when on at night, but like many subjective things, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
100% agree...the pre-facelift LED headlights are still one of the most distinctive of any car on the road and look just as interesting when off as they do when lit. It is one of the reasons that attracted me to the car. Very surprised they did away with that LED formation for the main headlights. The refreshed lights are nice but the actual low beam headlight is no where near as interesting as the prefacelift unit. The new ones look like they would cost half as much as the older, more complex looking assemblies.
The refreshed rears, however, are a nice update. Just my 2 cents
Old 05-07-2015, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinbad
Everybody talks about the LEDs but there are still peeps out there without them! Strange isn't it?? so how about some pics of the non LEDs when one, again I believe the strips are on top of the headlight just like the A3s..

One thing I don't like about new LEDs is that 'empty' space in the housing below the strip, reminds me of those fake air intakes so many cars have today.
Hi Tinbad, the area below the daytime running light strip is not 'empty' and the photo I posted is admittedly a poor one as it was at dusk at North Scottsdale Audi so you cant see the nice effect of the wide flat and deep panel the forms the top and bottom of the running lights that itself is a multi strip circuit board and catches the eye very easily in person both in daylight and at night.

Below the running lights too, are the side lamps for dynamic illumination when turning into driveways or around a corner, and thus that small space that looks empty is not. I believe the fog light is there as well, below the running lights/dynamic directional turn signal double strip. Light that runs though the center of the headlight assembly. Having two DRL solid strip lights running across the middle like that, one in top of the other likes bright and bold on the road and really jumps out too...something that is hard to demo on 2D video.

If you go to that picture again I posted on page 1 of this thread and expand it with your fingers on your track pad you can get a better sense of that circuit strip there on top of the upper of the double layer daytime running LED strips. Although in sunlight it really jumps out and sparkles. It is a very attractive headlight in the refined understated Audi way with such things and works very well with the other front end esthetic enhancements. Particularly with the S-line Sports treatment

The original LEDs are nice and certainly a very distinctive signature but always had an organic growing structure as if the lights on a Klingon-like alien warship if that is your thing definitely cool looking in its own right but time to move on I suspect.

As Snagitseven noted, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I bet once you see the new model driving down the street in daytime and night you'll come to appreciate it more as well.

Last edited by Hulamau; 05-07-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The new 2016 LED headlights have new features that doesn't present on the 2015 A6 headlights. I like the 2016 design better since there are too many other headlights now copying the old Audi DRL design. Audi has been using their signature LED design for 6-7 years and it's about time to update them now. This is all I could find showing the new LED headlights on...

Old 07-18-2015, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by random512
Hi, I really like the headlight style (LED dots) of the 2015 Audi A6. However, I want to buy the 2016 model of A6. I think most people probably agree that the 2015 style has more bling than the 2016 style.

Therefore, I'm guessing that 2016 a6 owners have generated some demand for the 2015-style headlights. Has a different thread already been started about this?
Agree with you, the new LED system looks cheap by comparison to me. Why not find a low mileage loaded '15 CPO?
Old 07-19-2015, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This is not my car. It was posted by mxrz on that other forum.

Anyway, this shows the xenon headlights on an s-line facelift A6. Notice the eyebrow-like light strips. When I compare this to the new LEDs and the old LEDs I think I would rank them in attractiveness like this:

Old LED > New Xenons >/= New LEDs

I think Audi slipped a little with these new LEDs. They just look cheap compared to the prior ones. And speaking of cheap looking, I saw the front end of the new premium+ A7 (non S-line) with the new LEDs on the lot the other day and almost barfed. It's terrible.

Last edited by Silent Drone; 07-19-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I like the new style the old ones were getting old too much like my old b8 LEDs and those have been around for quite some time.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Silent Drone
This is not my car. It was posted by mxrz on that other forum.

Anyway, this shows the xenon headlights on an s-line facelift A6. Notice the eyebrow-like light strips. When I compare this to the new LEDs and the old LEDs I think I would rank them in attractiveness like this:

Old LED > New Xenons >/= New LEDs

I think Audi slipped a little with these new LEDs. They just look cheap compared to the prior ones. And speaking of cheap looking, I saw the front end of the new premium+ A7 (non S-line) with the new LEDs on the lot the other day and almost barfed. It's terrible.
I had the same thought. The new Q3 seems to have the same LED as the 2016 A6 LED. Are they going to use the same LED is other models? I thought they were trying to separate the designs a little from each model.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Bayman48
I like the new style the old ones were getting old too much like my old b8 LEDs and those have been around for quite some time.
Except that the B8 never had LED headlights. LED headlights were first available with the MY2012 (NA)/2011 (ROW) C7.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I too prefer the full LED lights in the 2014, etc. than the new ones. I agree with one of the posters the older ones are more distinctive and attractive.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I was drooling after these lights when I saw this commercial. Yes I know... the catchy theme music, flirtatious lovely lady and the protective undertones of video all hooked me. Marketing.. eh.

Quick Reply: 2015 headlight style for 2016 model?