Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2016 A6

Old 07-13-2016, 06:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 A6

I have 15,000 miles on my 2016 Audi A6 just brought it in for the 15,000 mile service. They said my rotors are warped and I have to pay for it. Anyone having this issue? Anyone agree that it is crazy for a car only a year old.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

There are multiple threads on this topic. Spend so time going through them, and your questions should be answered.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Akhaines525
I have 15,000 miles on my 2016 Audi A6 just brought it in for the 15,000 mile service. They said my rotors are warped and I have to pay for it. Anyone having this issue? Anyone agree that it is crazy for a car only a year old.
Just curious what did the dealer quote you for a price?
Old 07-13-2016, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Akhaines525
I had the same issue, the previous 2 service maintenance I complained about the brakes. Each time I was told that they were normal and there was no issue. I told them high speed braking (over 60 MPH) there is a lot of noise and vibrations. During my 16K maintenance I complained again and this time I was told my rotors are warped as well. I didn't take that too well later the advisor came back and said as a courtesy all repairs would be covered. The quote I received was about $1,300.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

I too had this issue which seems to be fairly common to the C7 A6. I will describe my experience briefly and offer some thoughts.

1. Vibrations began around 9500 miles and I've been driving long enough to know where the vibes were coming from -- in my case warped rear rotors -- not the first time I have experienced this but certainly first time in a car less than 1 year old with under 10,000 miles.
2. Issue reported to dealer and appointment booked. When dropped off car SA politely mentioned Audi does not like warranty claims with respect to brakes. I did not respond to that gratuitous and rather stupid comment made to a man who bought a 60K sticker German luxury car.
3. End of day #1 at dealer got call that rear rotors warped (big surprise) but that dealer could not proceed further until Audi authorized repair under warranty -- fine, I rather enjoyed the brand new Q5 loaner.
4. Car ready end of day #2 and all covered under warranty and now fine. However the manner in which dealer wound its way around to checking run out of rear rotors was rather interesting. First they checked balance of front wheels despite fact I indicated no steering wheel shake or issues up front. Then they drove and determined still had an issue. Next checked road force on all 4 wheels, drove and still issue. Next perform multiple emergency stops to induce operation of ABS to "clear rotors". Issue not resolved. Finally checked run out of rear rotors, replace rotors and pads. Rather tortured way to get to the end if you ask me. Car came back with 23 miles more than when dropped off and I'm not all that happy some tech was driving my car and performing multiple emergency stops.

Upshot: Audi knows they have a problem with brakes on A6 and are denying claims improperly and unfairly. My SA told me that Audi covered mine because car was less than 1 year old and had less than 12K miles. So if I had 12,500 miles I take it they would have tried to soak me for this repair. Not to bash Audi (I do love my A6) but their approach to this particular issue is not consistent with a luxury car ownership experience. They need to take a page from the Lexus playbook (or Acura for that matter). The brake issue coupled with an issue I had upon delivery of my car and the manner in which both of these issues were handled is in my opinion less than impressive and does not instill the confidence I need to keep this car beyond warranty expiration. Word to the wise -- if you feel any brake vibration get to dealer ASAP and make sure you create the record, so to speak, so that when dealer later tells you that you need new rotors prematurely you can point to some history in support of your position that Audi should bear the cost of replacement. The simple fact is that unless car shows evidence of abuse, if one presents at service department with warped rotors (especially rears) with less than 30,000 miles Audi should take care of this without question or complaint. Trying to soak the customer for this is just bad business IMHO.

Best,
Jeff
Old 07-14-2016, 08:09 AM
cue
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Same issue here. 2015 A6 in for 15,000 mile service. Told them about the vibration while braking. SA said basically the same thing, "Its not covered under warranty, but the dealership will cover it as goodwill." I asked how a rotor warps so quickly? He went on to say "high performance vehicle, heat, yadda, yadda." I'm not taking the car on the track. . .

In my opinion, if a rotor warps within 15,000 miles, its defective, and Audi should pay for it, not the dealer.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by cue
Same issue here. 2015 A6 in for 15,000 mile service. Told them about the vibration while braking. SA said basically the same thing, "Its not covered under warranty, but the dealership will cover it as goodwill." I asked how a rotor warps so quickly? He went on to say "high performance vehicle, heat, yadda, yadda." I'm not taking the car on the track. . .

In my opinion, if a rotor warps within 15,000 miles, its defective, and Audi should pay for it, not the dealer.

I am not a fan of litigation. I am a lawyer originally from Toronto but here in MI past 25 years or so and practice mainly real estate and banking law. However, why do I get the feeling that VAG behavior is like asking to be on the receiving end of a class action lawsuit? 4 cylinder sludge issues, 4 cylinder oil burning issues immediately come to mind and now this business with premature brake issues. Why play this game of denial of responsibility until the company is on the wrong end of a lawsuit? I honestly don't understand this at all. Bad for business, bad for reputation, pisses off customers but I guess good for bottom line until the mandatory recalls/settlements arising from such litigation costs are incurred.

I chose the A6 after driving the Merc E350, the BMW 535i, the Acura TLX and the Lexus GS350 F Sport. The A6 checked more boxes for me than the others. I went in with my eyes open as regards VAG reputation and manner in which they "care for their customers" but I hoped that things had changed for the better. So far I'm not seeing it. Time will tell.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by cue

In my opinion, if a brake rotor warps within 15,000 miles of a car being new, its defective, and Audi should pay for it, not the dealer.
Sorry Audi but I call "BS" on the brake discs warping at 15k or less miles, due to hi perf, heat, etc, whatever... Inferior rotor design, material selection and or poor manufacturing practices while producing the parts is more likely. None of these cars are being tracked so you can only push them so hard on the street.

Makes me question why none of the high performance sport motorcycles I have been riding for the past 32 years NEVER suffer this fate. I push these bikes very hard and the brakes even harder, use after market metal sintered pads along with Motul racing brake fluid and never have I ever had a warping issue. I fully expected too but have not. Hmmmmmm....

OK I feel better now until I have the problem
Old 07-14-2016, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Dan quite possible you won't have the problem. My brother in law has an SQ5 with 45,000 km. He is a "heavy user" of the brakes and told me last night no issues. I agree w/you 100%. I save my spirited driving for my NSX and I use the A6 as my daily driver/commute vehicle -- it is driven as if a little old lady is at the wheel. No heavy brake applications, no heat, no horrific traffic jams/nasty stop and go scenarios. Nonetheless after 10K miles warped rotors. I'm not upset by this -- can happen to any manufacturer. What is upsetting/disturbing is the manner in which AOA responds to these issues by denying responsibility/coverage where one would reasonably expect warranty to provide coverage.

Best,
Jeff
Old 07-14-2016, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Only a wild guess on my part, but don't expect many more good will gestures on this question. The company has to make up for the $14.7 billion settlement in every way they can. Other luxury car manufacturers actually include brake pads and rotors under the 4 year/50,000 mile warranty. This includes wear and tear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 A6