Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2016 A6 has built in sun visors, should I still tint?

Old 08-23-2015, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2016 A6 has built in sun visors, should I still tint?

so my A6 has the sun visor on the rear/side windows, would you still suggest tinting them?
I'm still considering doing so just for the sun protection. I'm wondering if tinting the windows defeats the purpose of having the visors, maybe the rear window wouldnt need it so much since the visor is pretty decent there.
what are your thoughts?
Thanks...
Old 08-23-2015, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djjuice
so my A6 has the sun visor on the rear/side windows, would you still suggest tinting them?
I'm still considering doing so just for the sun protection. I'm wondering if tinting the windows defeats the purpose of having the visors, maybe the rear window wouldnt need it so much since the visor is pretty decent there.
what are your thoughts?
Thanks...
I would recommend tinting if you want heat reflection. The shades will just shade the areas from the sun light and not do a whole lot for heat reduction. In fact it might increase the heat in your car. It also doesn't protect you from the UVA/B. I will get Suntek CXP 35 all around and CXP 70 (both Ceramic films) in the front next week. The installer has been doing this for 20 years in Florida and recently moved up to my area. So a good installer is just as important.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

tinting the windows does not defeat the purpose of the visors. it does serve to make the car more comfortable depending on the degree of tint.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I concur with Inyoury on the Suntek CXP 35 on the sides you can go with the CXP 18 on the rear too and still see out and in very well but with the nice darker contrast .. depends on the color of your car whether that added contrast works well. Lighter colors like Florett Silver, Tornado Gray, Glacier White, look great with the bit darker tints on the rear side doors and far rear.

I too have the prestige trim with the side manual shades and rear auto shade and still you definitely want the tint on those windows.

In Arizona I leave the side shades up most of the time in these hot summer months as every little bit helps and the rear shade is always deployed when parked and at times when the sun is coming through the back window, but otherwise I drop the rear shade.

As Inyoury noted, the UV protection and much greater heat reduction will come with the tint .. and with the tint the shade further helps reduce overall temp inside the car, but without the tint, the heat will come right through the glass and inside the car within the space between the glass and the shade.

The car would no doubt look a bit odd having no tint at all on your car with the shades going up and down, and will likely make summers a lot tougher and even the rest of the year as well. Plus, it just looks better on almost all these cars to have some tint, IMHO, than without any at all.

Ive got a 70 3M Crystalline on the front and it greatly helps lower overall heat, thought for color matching I would choose the Suntek CXP 70 for nearly the same heat reduction performance and a more uniform hue with the CXP all around .

The heat is reduced remarkably so from a very light percentage windshield tint ... which really helped when down in Phoenix week before last at 118 degrees .. though, frankly, saying it helped was only relative in that hellish condition. 118 degrees is just plain HOT no matter what!

Hulamau

Last edited by Hulamau; 08-24-2015 at 06:33 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

One thing I would add about the film type. I had the 3M crystalline installed in my wife's Mercedes. 30% all around and 70% front. The 70% tone wasn't great and I noticed a very slight blurred or almost warped look around the bend point. In the evening it wasn't noticeable. I contacted the installer and they installed it again and the same thing. Because of this I will have the windshield redone with the CPX70 after my car this week. I don't want anything to impact the safety of driving for myself of my wife. The clearly in terms of darkness from inside looking out is very good when get any premium film/company.

Again, the installer is as important if not more... See how the installer's car is and go by that work.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I dropped off the car this morning, getting 18% CXP on all the windows, except the rear, i'm going to toy with the sunshade there for a bit before deciding if I want the rear window tinted. I'm also trying to avoid the antenna lines showing up with the tint.

They did offer the Hüper Optik but it was just a bit too expensive. this is in WA state
Old 08-24-2015, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by djjuice
I dropped off the car this morning, getting 18% CXP on all the windows, except the rear, i'm going to toy with the sunshade there for a bit before deciding if I want the rear window tinted. I'm also trying to avoid the antenna lines showing up with the tint.

They did offer the Hüper Optik but it was just a bit too expensive. this is in WA state
The police allow 18% in your area? Reminds me of the 13% I had in Korea, there are no tinting laws there. But here 30% was the lowest I can go without getting pulled over.

Make sure you get what you want in the rear since taking off the film from the rear can be very difficult. Sometimes the installers refuse to take it off in fear of damaging the antenna.