Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2016 Audi A6 - fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
With my 2016, the all weather lamps do not light when cornering at low speeds. (I have the standard Xenon headlamps)
I have LED headlights on my 2016 A6. The all-weather lamps go on only when the appropriate button (in the grouping that includes the rear fog lights) is pushed. As cornering lamps, they only go on when the turn signals are engaged and then only the side chosen (left all weather light goes on when turn signal is pushed to indicate a left turn, etc.)
Old 01-06-2016, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I have LED headlights on my 2016 A6. The all-weather lamps go on only when the appropriate button (in the grouping that includes the rear fog lights) is pushed. As cornering lamps, they only go on when the turn signals are engaged and then only the side chosen (left all weather light goes on when turn signal is pushed to indicate a left turn, etc.)
If the 2016 is like other U.S. C7 years with LED head lights, they are actually called "static cornering lights" and per the manual, each will come on automatically when the turn signal is on at speeds below 44 mph or if no so signal is on, at speeds below 25 mph.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by John Simcox
As I understand it pressing the "all weather" light button on the dash activates selective LEDs within the LED Headlight array to give lighting appropriate for fog. Maybe the US version of the LEDs does not do this. I don't have the LED headlights so have no firsthand experience of how effective they are in real life, but I have also never found front fog lights of any type to be of much use
In my manual, separate from the "static cornering lights" description, it does mention the operation of all weather lights for reducing glare on wet roads. It has an * which indicated it either is an option or not available in certain locales. I'll have to play with it some more to see if I can detect a difference in the LED array but I doubt it since all the individual LED bulbs (except hi beams) are lit on normal head lamp operation and, of course, they aren't designed to move whlle driving like the HID head lamps.

Edit: further investigation reveals this from 2012:

"High-intensity halogen headlights are a standard feature on the new A6. Xenon plus units that include new all-weather lights"

So, even if it were on U.S. models, it would not apply to LED headlights.

By the way, there appears to be some confusion between the terminology of "all weather lights" and "static cornering lights". They are two completely different things. All weather lights would be as described above for the halogens and the cornering lights are found on C7s equipped with LED head lamps as separate lights that point down and to the sides useful only for cornering. As mentioned, the all weather lighting operation may not be available in North America.

Last edited by snagitseven; 01-06-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My S6 has matrix headlights and the fog lights are built into the headlights. There are two buttons to the left of the headlight rotary switch. The top one is front fog lights and the bottom one is rear fog lights. The matrix headlights also have turning lights that come on automatically and light up the curb in the direction you are turning. Best headlights I've ever had. Just wish it remembered the last state of the automatic high beam, when you turn off the car.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting. The trouble is the video doesn't say where he got the fog grill from?
I ordered one from online for audi A6 C7 but it doesn't fit. It's ment for 2015 not 2016.
apparently they there is difference. Even taking it off is different.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO..true foglights are a must-have *if you live where you need drive in dark rainy/foggie conditions. Real fog lights are very close to the ground and project a beam low..higher up lights will never be as effective since they bounce light back. I personally need them since I live in potentially rough winter weather (this AM: sleet/fog) then throw in a few winter trips to montana for TG'ing and Xmas and my 09 sixer excellent halogens have saved the night many times..
..I may not update cars (not much reason really) until find a proper FL mod for my next a6 or maybe a4.

Last edited by mystrodo; 02-04-2017 at 04:19 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mystrodo
IMO..true foglights are a must-have *if you live where you need drive in dark rainy/foggie conditions. Real fog lights are very close to the ground and project a beam low..higher up lights will never be as effective since they bounce light back. I personally need them since I live in potentially rough winter weather (this AM: sleet/fog) then throw in a few winter trips to montana for TG'ing and Xmas and my 09 sixer excellent halogens have saved the night many times..
..I may not update cars (not much reason really) until find a proper FL mod for my next a6 or maybe a4.
But in the USA you cannot put fog lights on without the headlights on so the low height of the fogs is negated.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mystrodo
There are plenty of LED light bars that could be used on your next Audi. See what is available and where they would fit on your car.

Wire them up independent of the headlights and you can control when they are on.

Here's a eBay listing of one as an example of the size and shape.
17 034 144W CREE LED Light Bar Flood Driving Lamp Jeep 12V24V 4WD Boat SUV ATV Fog | eBay
Old 02-04-2017, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
There are plenty of LED light bars that could be used on your next Audi. See what is available and where they would fit on your car.

Wire them up independent of the headlights and you can control when they are on.

Here's a eBay listing of one as an example of the size and shape.
17 034 144W CREE LED Light Bar Flood Driving Lamp Jeep 12V24V 4WD Boat SUV ATV Fog | eBay
They would be ok on a 2004 civic but an A6?
Old 02-04-2017, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Then there's this. Would be classy on an A6.

Quick Reply: 2016 Audi A6 - fog lights