Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

20in all season tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Separate set for the winter??

Greetings,

Jumping in here a bit late… It is my humble opinion that 20" tires for any kind of snow represents a risky proposition. I too had an A6 and loved the summer rubber. For the winter, I went to a 19" wheel and tire combo that gave me a a taller sidewall and more protection from ice and other cold weather issues. In fact 18" tires will work as well (unless you have gone to a big brake kit). Tire Rack has winter options that will be very inexpensive compared to 20" tires and over the life of the car, you will break even of better by doing it this way. Before I moved to LA, I always had two sets of tires for my Audi's. In that respect I could mount severe service duty snow tires on the smaller wheels (still high performance tires, such as Pirelli P210's). This really helped match the tire compounds to the external temperatures that I was encountering.

Best of luck

Eric

Last edited by eric strauss; 05-02-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
That is the largest problem with the DWS but it really only manifests itself on higher profile tires (eg. 50 or 55). On a 35 you shouldn't be able to tell (compared to other AS tires) due to the higher pressure that you need to run anyway.

If anything, it's a benefit over the summer rubber on 20" wheels since it softens the ride a bit, something I think the A6 w/ sport suspension needs.
Good points Jason, and for those who aren't going to track their A6s with 20" and are okay with tires that can handle less than 150 to 170mph then opting even for W or H rather than Y grade DWS can help make for a quieter smoother ride with still plenty of grip on 255/35-R20 low profiles...

It's a good option anyway if you can find the new ExtremeDWS-06 model in 100 to 97 W or H as a replacement tire...so many of the h grade tires on high Pro summer or AS tires are hard to find other than as OEM tires from Audi, BMW and MB on cars speed limited to 130moh in the U.S.... But it can be worth searching for and ordering if you find a sports suspension plus 20" needs a little softening ... Some do find that and others don't and like the tauter but not at all jarring ride of the A6 -20" plus sports suspension...

Probably has a lot to do with road quality in your region of use too.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
That is the largest problem with the DWS but it really only manifests itself on higher profile tires (eg. 50 or 55). On a 35 you shouldn't be able to tell (compared to other AS tires) due to the higher pressure that you need to run anyway.

If anything, it's a benefit over the summer rubber on 20" wheels since it softens the ride a bit, something I think the A6 w/ sport suspension needs.
Jasonlitka, did the Conti Extreme DWS come as OEM tires with your '16 S6?

You have the 19" wheels with sports suspension right? . Or rather you probably have the Air suspension/sports diff with torque vectoring I imagine ?? Just curious if Audi put DWS06 on the new S6 19"
Sports pak?

I requested Conti DW summers since that is what comes with the 20" wheel and Sports pack with my officially on the boat now '16 A6 3.0T as of my update from Audi today. In my past experience, Extreme DW summer tires are generally smoother and quieter riding than even compared to Conti-SportContact 3

Although I doubt they will go out of their way to meet my request and if they do put on Conti summer tires I suppose they will be SportContact 3s or 5s and not my preferred DW.

Anyway, I may swap out to DW summers anyway at the dealer or DWS06 A/S at 255/35 R20 100W if I can find them. I'd be very happy with the later too and save having to buy a set anyway in early November through late March here in Sedona mountain area.

Your experience with the OEM might help my planning here in a month before pick up day... Thanks ... counting the days!

Last edited by Hulamau; 05-04-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tman007
Continental DWS. I noticed a lot less road noise when I got them (to replace original Yokos). Many good reviews from forum members and other online reviewers like tirerack.com.
+1 !
Old 05-05-2015, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hulamau
Jasonlitka, did the Conti Extreme DWS come as OEM tires with your '16 S6?

You have the 19" wheels with sports suspension right? . Or rather you probably have the Air suspension/sports diff with torque vectoring I imagine ?? Just curious if Audi put DWS06 on the new S6 19"
Sports pak?

I requested Conti DW summers since that is what comes with the 20" wheel and Sports pack with my officially on the boat now '16 A6 3.0T as of my update from Audi today. In my past experience, Extreme DW summer tires are generally smoother and quieter riding than even compared to Conti-SportContact 3

Although I doubt they will go out of their way to meet my request and if they do put on Conti summer tires I suppose they will be SportContact 3s or 5s and not my preferred DW.

Anyway, I may swap out to DW summers anyway at the dealer or DWS06 A/S at 255/35 R20 100W if I can find them. I'd be very happy with the later too and save having to buy a set anyway in early November through late March here in Sedona mountain area.

Your experience with the OEM might help my planning here in a month before pick up day... Thanks ... counting the days!
My car came with 20" Pirelli P Zero tires.

All S6s delivered in the U.S. have Air Suspension.

The DWS06 isn't available until right about now. My car was delivered more than a month ago so I bought the regular DWS. Even if they were available, I probably would have bought the older ones, just because I know they're great.

Last edited by jasonlitka; 05-05-2015 at 06:02 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Conti confirmed by email that DWS06 aren't available yet in the 20" sizes. July or maybe earlier, they said. Gary@tirerack posted in the Tires forum that his info shows they are 8 weeks or more away from being in stock (at least in our 255/35-20 size). I assume the 18" and maybe 19" sizes will be available earlier, but I didn't ask about that.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LeadingEdge
Conti confirmed by email that DWS06 aren't available yet in the 20" sizes. July or maybe earlier, they said. Gary@tirerack posted in the Tires forum that his info shows they are 8 weeks or more away from being in stock (at least in our 255/35-20 size). I assume the 18" and maybe 19" sizes will be available earlier, but I didn't ask about that.
Thanks LeadingEdge, I got the same message from Tire-rack too about the DWS06s, and that they are doing field tests on them now. The rep I spoke too said the word they have gotten among the reps at Tirerack is there is a notable improvement in wet and dry grip with the DWS 06 versus prior DWS ... just a bit better tire all around with improved tread wear as well he said, but the actual test results and review isn't out yet.

Since it won't be available anyway until well after my car arrives by mid June, Ill just run with whatever it comes shod with and buy the DWS06 in the fall before it gets cold here,

As of this moment on 5-11-15 at 1pm PST my new A6 is onboard the Grand Neptune that left its last EU mainland stop over at Zeebrugge Belgium this morning and is now just about to enter Southhampton port along south English coast for the last stop (no doubt to drop off a bunch of UK bound Audis, Porsches and VWs) before the big trek to the Panama Canal and San Diego. This voyage started after picking up all the Audis and leaving the Emden Germany port on Saturday May 9th with an ETA in San Diego of June 3rd or a day or two earlier .. then 8 to 10 days max for the car to arrive at North Scottsdale Audi .... Christmas in June!
Old 05-11-2015, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hulamau
Thanks LeadingEdge, I got the same message from Tire-rack too about the DWS06s, and that they are doing field tests on them now. The rep I spoke too said the word they have gotten among the reps at Tirerack is there is a notable improvement in wet and dry grip with the DWS 06 versus prior DWS ... just a bit better tire all around with improved tread wear as well he said, but the actual test results and review isn't out yet.
With any luck they won't have messed up the winter performance in the process since that's the real reason to buy these.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been running NITTO Motivo AS tires and have been very happy with their performance so far. Since we have not had much rain in SoCal can't really speak much about wet roads but the little I have driven on did have any issues.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hi guys, anyone know if the DWS06 20" tires for 2016 A6 are available? I see on the continental website the 255/35ZR20 97W are listed. However I don't know if those will fit the A6. I also called the Tirerack sales guy. He didn't have the model number on file and he told me he thought they might carry them a year from now...

A local continental dealer said they would have to special order the tires, $214 each plus $50 for shipping and handling. Before I order the tires I think are for my car, can someone else confirm these tires are in fact available? And is the price reasonable?

Many thanks

Edited:
So i called the local guy and he totally didn't listen to what I said. He thought I wanted the DWS not the DWS06. I told him I would have ordered the DWS via internet at a significantly lower price plus free shipping if I wanted the DWS. Awkward silence... crickets chirping... I just told him, thank you for your time and I will call you back when the tires are available. NOT!!!!

Edited again...
I finally got in contact with Continental. They said the 255/35ZR20 97W will roll out on the first week of August.

Last edited by Inyoury; 06-09-2015 at 10:35 AM.

Quick Reply: 20in all season tire recommendations