Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

3M "Clear Bra" on LED lamps?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3M "Clear Bra" on LED lamps?

Monday I have an appt to get the entire hood, bumper, lights, fenders, etc.. the typical locations...

The package mentions having the headlamps done, is it safe to cover those LED lamps with the 3M scotchguard or the xpel? I just want to make sure it doesnt lead to overheating or anything of the sort..

thanks
Old 08-27-2015, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

I had xpel ultimate installed over my led headlights a year ago and have not had any issues
Old 08-27-2015, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I had xpel ultimate installed over my led headlights a year ago and have not had any issues
Three years Xpel for me and no problems either.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:09 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Yes, do it. Probably one of the most needed locations. They get sandblasted. Had a year on my S6. Looks perfect and two years on the SQ5.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No worries. One of the benefits of LEDs is that they burn cooler than traditional bulbs.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by KurtEiger
No worries. One of the benefits of LEDs is that they burn cooler than traditional bulbs.
Actually, the LED headlight arrays will run hotter than HID. Which is why there are small fans in the assemblies.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry for the stupid question, but who would do something like this? Is this window tint place or more custom shop that does mods, etc? Never heard of having my car 3M'd...
Old 08-31-2015, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Window tint shop installs the 3M or Xpel product. You can do a "bra", front end or even the whole car.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Colonel Angus
Sorry for the stupid question, but who would do something like this? Is this window tint place or more custom shop that does mods, etc? Never heard of having my car 3M'd...
You don't want just anyone doing this. Check this link at the bottom of the drop down under the SHOP tab and find a local approved installer. This takes experience and skill. BTW, Xpel Ultimate (the variety you will want) is a superior product to 3M currently (although 3M is supposedly developing a new product to be competitive again), for having less inherent color, self-healing, and a 10 vs. 5 year warranty.

Paint Protection Film - XPEL Technologies Corp.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Sportstick
You don't want just anyone doing this. Check this link at the bottom of the drop down under the SHOP tab and find a local approved installer. This takes experience and skill. BTW, Xpel Ultimate (the variety you will want) is a superior product to 3M currently (although 3M is supposedly developing a new product to be competitive again), for having less inherent color, self-healing, and a 10 vs. 5 year warranty.

Paint Protection Film - XPEL Technologies Corp.
Agreed - to have it done right you need an experienced installer, usually a franchised custom detailer shop. While there are many protective films, Xpel Ultimate is among the very best on the market to avoid rock caused paint chips and scouring. Do an Audi World search for "Xpel Ultimate" for discussions by those who have had the product installed.

Quick Reply: 3M "Clear Bra" on LED lamps?