Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

5K Service on a CPO

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5K Service on a CPO

Just picked up a 2015 A6 CPO with only 4200 miles on it with just over 6 months since its initial in service date. The dealer says the next service is due at 15K or 1 year from now yet the service records only indicate that the CPO service was done which only topped off fluids.

I thought the 5K service needed a full oil change and was on Audi's dime.

Is the dealer mistaken and should a full oil change be done soon?
Old 09-04-2015, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, Audi owes you the 5k service based on what you stated:

"the service records only indicate that the CPO service was done which only topped off fluids."
Old 09-04-2015, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

The point of the first service at only 5K miles is to ensure the oil from being used in a new engine is changed as well as other checks to ensure nothing is amiss. Since Audi reimburses the dealer for a 5K service, It's not clear why the dealer just didn't do it before delivering the car to you. Ask them why it wasn't done.

It's also unusual for a car to only have 4200 miles when turned in after presumably a few months. Did the dealer offer an explanation of why the previous owner disposed of it so early?

Last edited by snagitseven; 09-04-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like it's an ex dealer loaner?
Old 09-05-2015, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tinbad
Sounds like it's an ex dealer loaner?
Yes, it was. The dealership uses their "service vehicles" for 6 months or 5K, which ever comes first and then puts them up for sale as CPOs. I had asked repeatedly if the 5K service was done and was told that the CPO inspection covers the same and that the next service was due at 15K. When I received a copy of the service records, it only shows the CPO certification which does describe the work done. The certification covers all the "ticks" under the 5K schedule except all it mentions is "top off all fluids" and does not list filters, etc. being replaced.

Thanks. I will contact them again.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate to say it, but it sounds like you are getting some misinformation and BS. And that gives me pause concerning the integrity and ability of your service department. What they are telling you is nuts.

The CPO inspection/repair work has nothing to do with Audi routine service requirements. CPO is purely inspection (and replacement of substandard parts) required for the CPO insurance policy and Audi marketing requirements.

The 5k is a mandatory service and, as noted, is fully paid for by Audi. When the 5k service is done, it will clearly show up on the vehicle's service record listed by Carfax - and will be necessary for Carfax to show the auto is getting manufacturer specified oil changes. If your dealer keeps giving you the runaround, either call Audi or go to a competent dealer. YOU MUST GET an AUDI service record showing the 5k service being done.

The dealership neglected to tell you the service loaner program has nothing to do with them; its a creature of VAG and all terms are dictated by VAG. Audi believes that using new cars for service loaners help sell new cars. Its not about being nice to you. Don't laugh, I have two friends that bought new Audis after their wives drove new service loaners under this program.

The service loaners are owned by VAG during the service period (title held by VAG Finance). The dealer has USE of them and is supposed to only loan these vehicles to people with the same grade of Audi or higher. In other words, they do not loan out an A7 to someone getting an A3 serviced.

I was told by the CPO manager at my dealer that VAG has a 6 month or 10k limit on VAG service loaners. As part of the agreement with dealers, when these are cars are taken OUT OF service loaner status, (1) the dealer must then buy car from VAG at a discounted price and (2) MUST do/purchase the CPO on the car. Its a great deal for dealers. The dealer gets a basically FREE car during the time they use the cars for loaners.

I currently have a former service loaner and love it. When I bought it, the dealer not only gave me ALL the CPO check sheets, but copies of each and every service record for the car. This included the pre-delivery inspection, each adjustment, all work required by/found by the CPO inspection, THE 5K SERVICE!!!, and even the final check out when it was handed to me.

Sorry to digress. Get the 5K service on your car and make sure it shows up on the service record. I would not trust a dealer that is not upfront about service and records. As many of us know on this forum, not all Audi dealers are created equal.

Good luck