Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6: C7 - Changing the front brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A6: C7 - Changing the front brake pads

Has anyone done a pad change on the Audi A6 front brake pads. If so, was it difficult and also if anyone wants to give advice about which brake pads have worked out best for the C7 version of the A6 please feel free to chime in. From my own experience changing the pads looks easy enough but never having done any brake work on an Audi I'd appreciate it if anyone who has, please chime in.
Thanks.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did mine a few months back. Fronts are easy. Nothing really different from any other front brake job. As for pad recommendations, I went with Akebono ceramics. Though I hear EBC Red Stuff pads are good also.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Calimus,Thanks for the input. The ceramics, I thought your car needed some sort of special rotor to use the ceramic pads, I see I was wrong therefore I think I'll go with the Akebono pads as I'm sure the ceramics will cure any speaking problems. Thanks again.
1Guitar
Old 02-16-2016, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

No problem. Keep in mind that to do the rear brakes properly, you need a Vag-Com to fully release the electronic E-brake system. There are those that have done this successfully without the Vag-Com, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Besides, if you're in Jersey, it shouldn't be hard to locate one of the members here that has one that would help you out for a pizza/beer combo lunch.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would be the difference if you don't use Vag com? Why would you not recommend it?
Old 02-16-2016, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Calimus
No problem. Keep in mind that to do the rear brakes properly, you need a Vag-Com to fully release the electronic E-brake system. There are those that have done this successfully without the Vag-Com, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Besides, if you're in Jersey, it shouldn't be hard to locate one of the members here that has one that would help you out for a pizza/beer combo lunch.

LOL just be very careful with rear brakes.

I learned the hard way (I have a VAG come) but didn't know is needed for ebrake......PLUS accidentally activated the ebrake when the calipers were OFF!.....

it was not pretty.......luckily I found a used caliper for $100 as a replacement
Old 02-17-2016, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Superfly_A6
Would be the difference if you don't use Vag com? Why would you not recommend it?

You could destroy the calipers as VodkaG has mentioned. Here's the proper procedure using the VCDS.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Superfly_A6
Here's a thread about non VAG COM rear brake pad change. Not that I'm recommend it but it does show the parts and their interaction along with the mechanical side of the pad change.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...agcom-2888072/
Old 09-16-2016, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1guitar
Has anyone done a pad change on the Audi A6 front brake pads. If so, was it difficult and also if anyone wants to give advice about which brake pads have worked out best for the C7 version of the A6 please feel free to chime in. From my own experience changing the pads looks easy enough but never having done any brake work on an Audi I'd appreciate it if anyone who has, please chime in.
Thanks.
Here is a video on how to do it:
Old 09-19-2016, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nice job on the front brakes on the A6. One question, if you know, what is the torque value for the two bolts that hold the brake caliper onto the wheel? Good luck.