Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6/C7 Navigation Update

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 10:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6/C7 Navigation Update

Purchased/ordered A6/C7 in summer of 2012 as a model year 2013. Nav version prior to this update was v5.6.5. After upgrade, version is now v6.10.2.

I phone ordered my Nav map update in March (2015) and when it came in, I picked it up before scheduling service to update. The item I received was a dual SD card set with no instructions or docs. When I finally scheduled service trip for 45K mile oil change to also do the Nav map update, my dealer informed me I had received the dealer Nav software and that it had no maps. So they ordered a replacement and discounted the media update cost.

Finally, a month later, they said the update was in and to schedule a 2 hour appointment. I decided to do it early on a Sat, walk to the nearby McDonalds for breakfast and return and wait. 5 hours later the job finished. Dealer had never done a Nav update on a C7, so they had no idea how long it would take and gave me all the labor free.

When I left and inspected the Nav map version, it wasn't the latest version available (reported by new A6 owners on these boards). However, the price I paid for this update, I'm not complaining.

Likely future cost: $300+ for media plus $150@4+hours labor = $900+

If your dealer only quotes 2 hours labor, take them up on it before they learn how long it will really take.

Aside from new map data, I have seen the non-Google map version offer many new additional POIs (categories not offered in prior map version). I run in Google map overlay mode mostly, however, so this doesn't matter much to me.

Just FYI...if anyone was interested. I do realize the Google map search uses Lat/Long coordinates and will plot a destination even if you have no map data showing street access. The Google map overlay will show streets, but the Nav system will think you're driving off-road.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Those who have had the dealer update the nav software have reported the cost around $400 total with labor, not $900. Still, a ridiculous amount of money for a nav update.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Those who have had the dealer update the nav software have reported the cost around $400 total with labor, not $900. Still, a ridiculous amount of money for a nav update.
My quote was for $350 for the media and $300 for labor.

I ended up paying under $300 total due to the kindness of my dealer.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wow, is that for cars outside warranty? I was going to ask the dealer for a nav update during my next visit but if it's going to cost this much, never mind. I'm under warranty still.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Tinbad
Wow, is that for cars outside warranty? I was going to ask the dealer for a nav update during my next visit but if it's going to cost this much, never mind. I'm under warranty still.
Unfortunately, nav updates are not covered under warranty.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 180 Likes on 160 Posts

Don't know what Audi USA will do but in Europe those who have the HDD based sat nav on a facelift car (ie the LTE version) get a free mapping data update every 6 months for the first three years of ownership. The update can be either downloaded over the air or downloaded to an SD Card from My Audi and then loaded.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by John Simcox
Don't know what Audi USA will do but in Europe those who have the HDD based sat nav on a facelift car (ie the LTE version) get a free mapping data update every 6 months for the first three years of ownership. The update can be either downloaded over the air or downloaded to an SD Card from My Audi and then loaded.
I was speaking to the U.S. pre-facelift models with 3G. U.S. MY2016 with LTE apparently also promises some ability of nav update uploads though I haven't seen the details posted in AW yet.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was speaking to the U.S. pre-facelift models with 3G. U.S. MY2016 with LTE apparently also promises some ability of nav update uploads though I haven't seen the details posted in AW yet.
Updated my MY 2016 S6 by downloading the nav update files to a SD card from the MyAudi website then uploading it to the car. Worked flawlessly.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by schwantz
Updated my MY 2016 S6 by downloading the nav update files to a SD card from the MyAudi website then uploading it to the car. Worked flawlessly.
Nice. Was it free?
Old 07-27-2015, 01:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice. Was it free?
Yes. It stated that I get 6 nav updates for free. After that I have no idea.

Quick Reply: A6/C7 Navigation Update