Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 Custom Surveillance System Finally Installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default A6 Custom Surveillance System Finally Installed

Finally got around to installing my mobile DVR system I've had sitting around for a while

Cameras locations are only temporarily placed with general adhesives for now... once i'm fully satisfied with the angles and coverage I'll complete a more permanent mount and more finished look for cameras.

Front and rear cameras I've used for a year on previous car and have great night visibility and good day picture as well. Trying out new side cameras with greater 120 degree view, so hoping they're just as good.

Currently only setup to run when car is in accessory mode or running. Previous setup was installed on motion sensor to not drain car's battery, but since the A6 has larger battery, I'll have to test and see if the battery can handle the DVR system running all weekend without starting car, and hopefully still fire-up Monday morning.
Attached Images    
Old 01-23-2016, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sooo.... more details on this...?? What brand cameras, how is the DVR wired, where it is hidden...! DEETS MAN! DEETS!
Old 01-24-2016, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by McFuzz
Sooo.... more details on this...?? What brand cameras, how is the DVR wired, where it is hidden...! DEETS MAN! DEETS!
LOL,
Wasn't going to go into detail unless someone showed interest. After all... I mod my car to my personal taste, and not everybody shares the same interest. So for those curious how I built my system......

Connection to MMI
I found MMI cable thanks to Snagit's post for video into the MMI. I've read some guys found cheaper non-Audi aftermarket adapter cable online but I've heard it's a 50/50 chance these work.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...rized-2840907/

DVR system
I then installed my mobile DVR system. I bought two different types before I found a descent one. The first unit had bad video stitching and it would save the video every 15 minutes, causing a 15-30 second video gap. Obviosuly no video stitching on that unit. This was unacceptable so found another unit with seamless video stitching. Just do ebay search for "mobile DVR". Mine is 4ch to allow use of four cameras. The menu for playback is a little cumbersome, ehhhh.... it's a china product after all. It gets the job done with a 64gb SD card. I'm sure there's better systems but for larger cost. So do your homework first if you decide to go this route.

Cables
Unit obviously needs to have 10' or 25' AV cables routed for all four cameras.. so this is the hard part to figure out how. Unit is simply wired into fuse box like any other add-on device such as radar detector.. etc.

VERY important... the cables provided with most DVR system to connect cameras usually come with bare wires at end which were useless and incredibly hard to get connections to camera right. No matter what I tried I kept getting bad video signal. I'm just not good with wires. So to solve that frustrating wiring problem I bought pre-made cables with RCA connectors. Voila! Much better. Just used AV adapters to connect and less hassle install.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Feet-Waterproof-Female-4-Pin-to-RCA-A-V-Adapter-Wire-/281120398563?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417414dce3

Cameras
Camera I like is in pic 5 below, along with specs. This is the front and rear cameras (top left, top right on my DVR screen). Front is blurry however due to it being mounted inside windshield at this time. I will eventually move this camera outside to front grille for cleaner picture. It's a great small camera with 90 degree view.
For side cameras I'm testing bit larger camera with 120 degree view. Notice the lumens rating.. as this is the best rating I found for good night visibility.

Pic 1 shows the front camera inside front windshield. This will be relocated as soon as I run wire out to front grille.

Pic 2 shows rear camera. Unfortunately night visibility is shot when driving due to rear vehicle headlights washing out image, but great during day.

Pic 3 is side camera location i'm testing. I've mocked-up an enclosure while I have a better design 3d printed.

Pic 4 is image of same DVR system I use.

Pic 5 is the front and rear camera i use, along with specs. Note the sensitivity (lux rating)...as this is what gives the great night visibility.
Attached Images      

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 01-26-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Impressive. Now all you need is cellular communication so it can send you alerts when it detects close proximity motion detection!
Old 01-25-2016, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by McFuzz
Impressive. Now all you need is cellular communication so it can send you alerts when it detects close proximity motion detection!
Thank you. There was a system I found at one time that had GPS and 3G card slot for notifications, but I didn't need anything that complex. It's out there but be prepared to pay alot and deal with a complicated install since this isn't exactly a turn-key plug-n-play setup.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's brilliant. Your average degenerate would never think a parked car was eyeballing him.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nice mod! I didn't quite understand it at first, but a very neat feature to add to the car.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Very nice. You got the side angles I don't have on mine.

http://iroadkr.co.kr/global/?page_id=4463

This is what I have on mine and my wife's car. I can connect to the cams via wifi and download recorded videos and sounds. Sound, impact, motion activation for the cameras. After about 7-10 days of the car hasn't run, the battery of the car goes on power saving mode. You can still unlock the car with the fob, but not on the sensors on the door handle.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SILENCER
That's brilliant. Your average degenerate would never think a parked car was eyeballing him.
HA! That's funny.... My car is watching. LOL

Thank you guys for the nice props. I was going to buy a standard dashcam with rear camera but since i pretty much like engineering my own custom solutions... I couldn't resist. Was pricey though as I bought more than one DVR and multiple cameras until I found right combo.
This system was installed out of necesity. I found my garage partially open few times with car inside so wanted camera system. Then realized... why not install it in car since I also wanted a driving record for any bozos on the road.

I'm still not done wiring in all the features just yet.
I will be adding switches in front ashtray for each camera. Hitting each camera switch will enlarge any selected camera to full screen.

Inyouri
That is a very nice system. I like the phone pairing. Probably would have bought that for sure if I'd seen that back when I was looking for dashcam and didn't really find anything I truly liked... this would have caught my attention.
Nice find.

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 01-26-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

hello Inyoury

which one do you have?
v7 t8 v9 t10
there is no compare on the site, but lots of photos

Quick Reply: A6 Custom Surveillance System Finally Installed