Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 Custom Surveillance System Finally Installed

Old 05-07-2016, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought the front and rear f750 dash cam.

On the android app, the device shows GPS is enabled and working.

I see no GPS reading on the live view or the recorded files.

I see no mention in the documentation on how to show the GPS status/current position

Please advise how I can enable it both live view and it can be seen in recorded files

As well, what other items can be turned on/off in the live or recorded views
Old 05-08-2016, 01:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by waninae39
I bought the front and rear f750 dash cam.

On the android app, the device shows GPS is enabled and working.

I see no GPS reading on the live view or the recorded files.

I see no mention in the documentation on how to show the GPS status/current position

Please advise how I can enable it both live view and it can be seen in recorded files

As well, what other items can be turned on/off in the live or recorded views
Maybe you should try it here:
Support | THINKWARE Dash Cam
Old 06-22-2016, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

About the A6 battery. I had one of the first commercial cellular tracking/security systems in a car, and it had a minor software glitch. If I opened the car door (i.e. to get something forgotten in the car) and the system re-initialized the GPS without the car being restarted, it would never shut down until it was restarted. Which wasn't a big drain, but still was significant. Wound up eating a battery every 2-3 years like clockwork.

And I found out from one of the biggest battery makers, that any "SLI" battery (starting ignition, lights) is designed to never be discharged more than 10% in normal use. If you deep discharge it, you can kill it in as few as 6 really deep discharge cycles (near 100%).

So even if your A6 can keep it running over a weekend? Run some math on the DVR system. If keeping it running for more than 48 hours will take more than 10% of your battery's capacity, think about adding a dedicated lithium battery for it, or anticipate replacing the A6 battery way faster than normal.

Tracer (tracerpower.com) is one good source for those. Better made, integrated charge controllers, better pricing than anything on Amazon, once you find out that they don't play games with "equivalent amps" numbers.

FWIW.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
About the A6 battery. I had one of the first commercial cellular tracking/security systems in a car, and it had a minor software glitch. If I opened the car door (i.e. to get something forgotten in the car) and the system re-initialized the GPS without the car being restarted, it would never shut down until it was restarted. Which wasn't a big drain, but still was significant. Wound up eating a battery every 2-3 years like clockwork.

And I found out from one of the biggest battery makers, that any "SLI" battery (starting ignition, lights) is designed to never be discharged more than 10% in normal use. If you deep discharge it, you can kill it in as few as 6 really deep discharge cycles (near 100%).

So even if your A6 can keep it running over a weekend? Run some math on the DVR system. If keeping it running for more than 48 hours will take more than 10% of your battery's capacity, think about adding a dedicated lithium battery for it, or anticipate replacing the A6 battery way faster than normal.

Tracer (tracerpower.com) is one good source for those. Better made, integrated charge controllers, better pricing than anything on Amazon, once you find out that they don't play games with "equivalent amps" numbers.

FWIW.
Very interesting.. Thank you for sharing. I'm not an electronics expert but sounds like the system was wired to a source that would power every time the car hiccuped about something.

I have noticed that whether opening door, hood, or just for giggles.... the car on occassion electronically buzzes meaning it's doing/powering something for whatever check or adjustment, even when turned off.

My security system is basically on/off based on 12v power only meaning I wired it to fuse location where I was certain it was only powered when car ignition is on.

If wired for continual operation on constant 12V power, my system can operate 48 hours with ignition off, while still allowing car to start, but any more than that and yes the battery will drain below starting levels.

I have a successfully applied motion sensor implementation on a previous car I may adapt later, to help the system shut-down and turn-on only when needed but haven't had time to wire that into place.

Thank you for the info, it will help me with plans moving forward. Still learning how these Audi's work.