Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 MY12 Fuel tank system malfunction!

Old 08-10-2015, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 MY12 Fuel tank system malfunction!

My three years old A6 greeted me with this error code upon starting it earlier today:

"Fuel tank system malfunction! Contact dealer"

The fuel gauge went blank (tank is full). Stopped engine and restarted, same problem. Drove to work and MMI started to ask about a gas station, etc... After a few more minutes driving, the fuel gauge came back to life and the error message on the main display went away. Arrived at work, shut off engine, restarted and error code went up and fuel gauge blank again. What gives?

I've attached a picture of the display. It's late, so I won't be able to call dealer until tomorrow morning, but I am worried this could be something serious that might leave me stranded (bad fuel pump?) or a fire hazard (fuel leak?).

Any ideas as to what may be causing this?

Thanks,
Bill
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2015, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

My guess would be a faulty fuel tank sensor. Shouldn't be a big deal to fix.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Try tightening the fuel cap. A air leak on a cap will turn on a emissions warning or CEL on other makes.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had this issue on my A6 MY12 which happened intermittently and I got it fixed under warranty. I cannot remember exactly the cause of this but the fix was kinda costly.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd guess it's the float inside the tank that sends the tank fuel level to the computer. I don't think that you need to worry about getting stranded or any sort of hazard.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi
I'd guess it's the float inside the tank that sends the tank fuel level to the computer. I don't think that you need to worry about getting stranded or any sort of hazard.
You are right. I have always ignored the issue and the car drove normally. The fuel level reading used to work again after 10 minutes of driving.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I was in high school my summer job was working in a shop, specifically marine, but we worked on cars occasionally. One of these jobs came in and I dutifully got under the creeper, disconnected everything and finally took the straps off to lower the tank to get at the float (on top). Astute readers will note I omitted the most important part of removing a gas tank.

Well, before I knew it, I had what seemed to be a 1000 lbs of fuel tank falling on top of me with the gas flopping around side to side making it impossible to balance and yelling, "HELP, HELP, HELP!". It was a really crappy car too, and I also recall thinking, I don't want all of my friends knowing I was killed by dropping a gas tank on my head from a Toyota Celica or whatever it was.

Ah good times...good times. Not entirely sure how I'm here to talk about them (or why anyone would have employed me at the time), but, it was fun.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks all for the tips. On that same night, I tried resetting the fuel cap to no avail. Since yesterday morning, problem seems to have fixed itself and has not come up again.

I talked to a service rep and he asked if I had just filled up the tank (something I did the night before) after being "almost" empty (ok, ok, mea culpa). He then went on with what we all know, but sometimes (in my case) tend to forget:

Debris at the bottom of the tank can hinder correct operation of the fuel level sensor after refills, something that usually clears by itself after a while. He also recommended using a low flow setting when filling up. All is good now.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 08-12-2015, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Or by tightening the fuel cap, you solved the problem. It can take awhile or some miles for a warning message/fault code to clear itself.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by billmac
Thanks all for the tips. On that same night, I tried resetting the fuel cap to no avail. Since yesterday morning, problem seems to have fixed itself and has not come up again.

I talked to a service rep and he asked if I had just filled up the tank (something I did the night before) after being "almost" empty (ok, ok, mea culpa). He then went on with what we all know, but sometimes (in my case) tend to forget:

Debris at the bottom of the tank can hinder correct operation of the fuel level sensor after refills, something that usually clears by itself after a while. He also recommended using a low flow setting when filling up. All is good now.

Thanks,
Bill
Does that really still apply even when using Premium gasoline? I seem to always be that person riding in to the station on fumes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A6 MY12 Fuel tank system malfunction!