Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 MY12, Passenger seat back plastic cover fell + Rear view mirror trim broke

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 04:07 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Im curious where your lane assist camera is. It doesn't seem to be attached or plugged in. Did you disconnect it for some reason?
Old 08-12-2015, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by kobanna
Just out of curiosity, do you live where it is particularly hot? I had a black BMW for a few years and every summer I had to take it into the shop to have the window molding replaced because the glue they used to attach it would melt. When I had a land rover, I had to have a special strip screwed around the dash material because the heat warped it causeing it to come unattached. Every time something comes undone in the summer, I assume it's heat related unless it is obviously a broken clip.

I now have a garage, spent the money for Crystalline tint, and park in a garage at work so have had no issues with my Audi, but I still hate leaving my car out on a surface lot for an extended amout of time during the summer because I am scared it is going to melt.
From the OP's thread-starting post: "The temperature was around 115f outside which I think has loosen the glue."
Old 08-13-2015, 05:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
From the OP's thread-starting post: "The temperature was around 115f outside which I think has loosen the glue."
I guess I skimmed over that part because pictures are always more interesting than text Then I would say yes, heat can definately melt the glue used by auto manufacturers. Some quality tint may reduce the heat in your car and possibly save from having to re-glue things.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Totti808
The dealer asked for $200 to fix both seats and he will use the same glue that Audi uses in installation of seat backs, and that it will be done within the same day. I told him I will think about it. I might try the the double sided tape but I am tempted to go to the dealer and get a permanent/professional fix, although the asked price is kinda ridiculous for this job.
Double sided tape will like not work for long. Check with an auto upholstery shop. I bet they will be half of the dealer cost.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

There is a double side adhesive that 3M invented that is used in new building construction that holds so strongly that is is used to hold panels to the exterior of high rise buildings. It is VHB tape. Buy a roll on Amazon.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 537playing
There is a double side adhesive that 3M invented that is used in new building construction that holds so strongly that is is used to hold panels to the exterior of high rise buildings. It is VHB tape. Buy a roll on Amazon.
That stuff is amazing. They use that on the space shuttle too.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Is it removable in the event you need to get to the components in the photos?
Old 08-13-2015, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 537playing
Or see post #6 for a eBay link.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Numerous manufacturers test cars in the AZ desert for heat related failures. Some EU manufacturers use locations in Africa. The OP does not give his model or location but Audi should have information on this failure if it is common in certain hot areas. Leaving a car parked outside all day in Riyadh would probably change its shape yet alone loosen the seat backs.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Five years since the C7s were introduced (ROW) and this is the very first I've read of seat back panels coming off any of the models. Must have been a one-off defect in the application of the adhesive or whatever holds them on. An anomaly.

Quick Reply: A6 MY12, Passenger seat back plastic cover fell + Rear view mirror trim broke