Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 OEM tires in winter, ideas needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year I purchased a set of Dunlop SP WINTER SPORT 3D 255/35R20 97W XL through TireRack. I did the wheel and tire package. I did not go crazy on the wheels since they would only be used in the winter and more prone to damage. These tires are quieter than the OEM Pirelli's and I did not have any issues last winter. Went through snow as deep as 10". The tires came well balanced and I was happy with the overall experience.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Chewy379
Another thing I need help figuring out is, my car comes with 20" rims with 255/35 R20 tires. I've found some pretty affordable sets of winter tires packages but they have 18" rims instead. Will that make a difference if i swapped from stock 20" rims with the OEM tires to 18" with 245/45 R18 tires?

Thanks for the help everybody!
It is standard procedure to run a smaller diameter wheel for winter duty. The overall diameter of the tire (summer vs winter) remains the same because the sidewall of the winter tire is higher.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Another thing I need help figuring out is, my car comes with 20" rims with 255/35 R20 tires. I've found some pretty affordable sets of winter tires packages but they have 18" rims instead. Will that make a difference if i swapped from stock 20" rims with the OEM tires to 18" with 245/45 R18 tires?

Thanks for the help everybody!
I have 20 for the Summer, 225/50-18 x-ice3 for Winter, the extra sidewall helps with the potholes in my region The overall diameter is off by +0.7%, the width is -8.2% (a narrower tire cut thru snow better) and you have 2.1% more sidewall to absorb the bump.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And now that you've got your Winter tires selected, remember these driving techniques which are most important going down hill.
https://www.hookedondriving.com/blog...-drive-in-snow
Old 10-11-2015, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the tips everyone.

So far I'm thinking along the lines of:

Dunlop Winter Maxx Tires (245/45 R18 XL)
TourenTR60 Wheels

Any comments about those?

Also each wheel/tire package comes with "Wheel Installation Kit (Bolts)", I don't believe this is a necessary option, but just wanted to confirm before ordering and finding out it is required.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TourenTR60 Wheels

Also each wheel/tire package comes with "Wheel Installation Kit (Bolts)", I don't believe this is a necessary option, but just wanted to confirm before ordering and finding out it is required.
There seem to be possibly better choices....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...o_desktop=true

Last edited by Sportstick; 10-11-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

TourenTR60 Wheels

Being Canadian like you, I just ordered my Winter set from:
for tires"
www.1010tires.ca

for wheels:
www.canadawheels.ca

Customer service at both these online stores are excellent and highly knowledgeable. They even guarantees fitment if you provide your car's year, make and model. Free shipment as well. Canadawheels is in Ontario where you are and they have both wheels and tires. Call them on their toll-free number and ask to speak with Clinton. Very helpful and knowledgeable guy. Good luck
Old 10-11-2015, 11:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ben_aip
Being Canadian like you, I just ordered my Winter set from:
for tires"
www.1010tires.ca

for wheels:
www.canadawheels.ca

Customer service at both these online stores are excellent and highly knowledgeable. They even guarantees fitment if you provide your car's year, make and model. Free shipment as well. Canadawheels is in Ontario where you are and they have both wheels and tires. Call them on their toll-free number and ask to speak with Clinton. Very helpful and knowledgeable guy. Good luck
Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at canadawheels as well. And actually I'm from Vancouver
Old 10-12-2015, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at canadawheels as well. And actually I'm from Vancouver
Good to know you're a fellow Vancouverite, Chewy!
In which case, with the mild winters that we have here on the westcoast, what made you choose the Dunlop Maxx, which is made with very agressive thread designed more for ice and deeper snow. It is not a high performance winter tire. Unless of course if you drive a lot over the Coquihalla or the interior in winter.

For a high perf car like the A6 with Vanc lower mainland type weather , shouldn't you be looking instead at the Perf Category of winters like the Michelin P4 or the Pirelli Sottozero or even the Dunlop Winter Sport class?

I'm no authority in tires, but just thought to offer my 2cents worth.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My original selection was based off of the available tires in 1010tires wheel and tire package selection. I was going for a performance/cost effective balance, obviously which the Maxx doens't seem to be holding up on the performance side from the additional info. My budget for a package set is around 1600 and the good performance tires sets I've seen are in the 3000+ category

Quick Reply: A6 OEM tires in winter, ideas needed