Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 OEM tires in winter, ideas needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 01:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 OEM tires in winter, ideas needed

Hey everyone,

So I placed an order for an A6 3.0T S-Line a while ago, and the estimated time for arrival was around 4 months, which puts me in mid December. I have asked my sales guy about the stock tires and he said they are summer tires. Well, you can probably see my dilemma now, summer tires in the middle of winter equals a bad no no.

So right now the only methods I can think of is getting another set of winter tires (really costly), or switch the summers out for all seasons and stick with that, and maybe try and sell the summer tires. Any better ideas of what can be done?

Many thanks!
Old 10-05-2015, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

It all depends on the amount of winter weather where you live and how much driving in snow you will have to do. (You might want to put your location, model year, etc in your sig and avatar). The best A/S tires won't do well in deep snow or ice so, if you will be doing lots of driving in it you should get dedicated snow tires.

I live in MA where we get our share of the deep stuff but my wife's allroad serves for those conditions. Since I avoid driving my A6 in anything except the lightest snow conditions, I have the DWS 06 A/S tires which are about as good as it gets in bad weather for an all season. My A6 came with summer tires so I swapped them out and sold them on Craigslist a week after delivery.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good point. I live in Vancouver BC, and for the most part, the major roadways/highways are usually plowed and we usually don't have crazy deep snow either.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tire Rack has low priced winter wheel and tire packages. Down size to 18" wheels. They even have a 17" package for a $1000 or so. Summer tires are great in warm weather. Much better than A/S.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is tire rack only available in the US? Anyone have experience ordering from tire rack from Canada?
Old 10-06-2015, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chewy379
Is tire rack only available in the US? Anyone have experience ordering from tire rack from Canada?
Hi Chewy.
I'm in the Vancouver area as well. Too bad for us with our Canadian 'Peso', it's going cost way too much to bring tires &/or wheels or anything in from the US. As well, unless you have a ship to address in WA State, you're going to pay exorbitant shipping charges and maybe even duties if you import these yourself. Bottom line is that its cheaper to buy local. I've done my research. I've been dealing with Volco Tires in Coq, or check out their website at 1010tires.com. Prices are very reasonable and they look after premium autos like ours very well. PM me if you need a contact. This guy I know will discount a little more as I've dealt with them for a long time now. I've got a set of 19" Michelin Alpin PA4 winters waiting for me there already. I've also just received a set of replica 5-spoke Rotor style winters in my garage. Just when the temp consistently drops another few degrees here in Vancouver, I'll be over to install those.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Canada at Tire Rack
Old 10-06-2015, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
By all means, check out that website
Canada at Tire Rack

remember to add about $400 more for shipping, or enter your postal code to add, then multiply the total Tirerack prices by another 1.35 exchange, as it is in USD.
and then compare with this one I use locally, which is already in CDN$ delivered:
1010TIRES.COM

Take this from a fellow Canadian.....who understands importations and duties, etc. including what exchange rates does to cross border shopping costs, worst if you're using a credit card to buy as the rates will be 2 to 5 points more than the day's bank rates.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_aip
By all means, check out that website
Canada at Tire Rack

remember to add about $400 more for shipping, or enter your postal code to add, then multiply the total Tirerack prices by another 1.35 exchange, as it is in USD.
and then compare with this one I use locally, which is already in CDN$ delivered:
1010TIRES.COM

Take this from a fellow Canadian.....who understands importations and duties, etc. including what exchange rates does to cross border shopping costs, worst if you're using a credit card to buy as the rates will be 2 to 5 points more than the day's bank rates.
+1. Have used TR 7x over the past 10 years, but 1010tires is by far the best deal going at the moment. I'd be surprised if TR is getting any business from north of the border at the moment.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Another thing I need help figuring out is, my car comes with 20" rims with 255/35 R20 tires. I've found some pretty affordable sets of winter tires packages but they have 18" rims instead. Will that make a difference if i swapped from stock 20" rims with the OEM tires to 18" with 245/45 R18 tires?

Thanks for the help everybody!

Quick Reply: A6 OEM tires in winter, ideas needed