Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 purchase: Your opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2016 A6 3.0T Quattro and I would never buy another Audi. I've had multiple problems with the car and it's only 6 months old:
1. auto on/off engages before car comes to a complete stop (and shuts off the power steering when it engages). it's like driving a car that is constantly sputtering and coughing. The car even shut off entirely in the middle of traffic a couple of times. not good for a brand new $66k car.
2. the dashboard computer (MMI) completely locked up at freeway speed. Audi had to reinstall all the software on the car to correct the problem - after denying it was even happening.
3. the rear sun shade wouldn't fully retract and had to be replaced.
4. the dealership returned the car to me with a big gouge in the windshield - which had to be completely replaced. At least they took responsibility for that.

Audi corporate has been awful to work with. It's not a big surprise that the company is in hot water for massive emissions fraud. As soon as I'm out of this car, I will never consider this brand again. The car looks great, but it's a lemon.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aaronlosangeles
I have a 2016 A6 3.0T Quattro and I would never buy another Audi. I've had multiple problems with the car and it's only 6 months old:
1. auto on/off engages before car comes to a complete stop (and shuts off the power steering when it engages). it's like driving a car that is constantly sputtering and coughing. The car even shut off entirely in the middle of traffic a couple of times. not good for a brand new $66k car.
2. the dashboard computer (MMI) completely locked up at freeway speed. Audi had to reinstall all the software on the car to correct the problem - after denying it was even happening.
4. the dealership returned the car to me with a big gouge in the windshield - which had to be completely replaced. At least they took responsibility for that.

Audi corporate has been awful to work with. It's not a big surprise that the company is in hot water for massive emissions fraud. As soon as I'm out of this car, I will never consider this brand again. The car looks great, but it's a lemon.
Sorry to hear this. How long before you can move on?

I'm 6 months in on our 2016 A6 and it has been rock solid with no issues. I guess you never know.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It depends on how the lawsuit unfolds. I know some people swear by Audis, but that's just not my experience.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronlosangeles

1. Has the dealer resolved this issue?
2. Reloading the MMI software is not a huge deal.
3. It appears this was corrected.
4. This is on the dealer, not Audi and it appears it was take care of with a new windshield.

While these issues were disappointing, IMO to call the car a "lemon" would be premature. Other than the first one, the other three problems do not seem to be significant and were corrected (and hopefully the first one as well). Any brand can have bugs to work out, especially when the car is new. If you experience continuing problems, than classifying the car as a lemon might be appropriate.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

The Auto Off is a PIA for me when I forget to defeat it with the dashboard button. However, I find it works just the opposite of yours. It never engages until a second or so after the car physically stops. And, it engages less than 50% of the time after the car comes to a stop. So, when it comes to your car, you definitely do have a lemon because it is operating incorrectly and is dangerous.

If California lemon laws are anything like Connecticut’s you have to give VAG three chances to repair it. Then an arbitrator, chosen by the state, will probably force VAG to buy the car back or negate your lease. You can probably file the paperwork yourself and pay a small fee to the state. If you lose you’re out less than a $100. More than likely you’ll get satisfaction from VAG before it goes to the arbitrator. Your other three complaints are not in the lemon category. So far I’ve found my 2016 A6 3.0 to be trouble free for the nine months I’ve owned it.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read that the auto off feature is linked to brake pressure, i.e. if you hold the brake softly, it won't shut the engine off but if you hold the brake hard, it will.

I can't attest because I have it switched permanently off.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by saad chaudry
I read that the auto off feature is linked to brake pressure, i.e. if you hold the brake softly, it won't shut the engine off but if you hold the brake hard, it will.

I can't attest because I have it switched permanently off.
This is true. In addition, if there are systems on board that require that engine be running, the engine will not turn off or it will restart. For example, if the A/C needs to be running to maintain the desired interior temperature, the engine will stay on or re-start before the driver intends to accelerate. Finally, with the 4 cyl model, auto stop/start program remains off if you set it that way, even after re-starting the car.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Finally, with the 4 cyl model, auto stop/start program remains off if you set it that way, even after re-starting the car.
Depends on model year. My 2013 A6 3.0T will remember the setting after the car is turned off. I believe only the latest U.S. models (2016+?) will default to "on" each time. Also, I believe the U.S. MY2012 C7s did not have the stop/start feature at all.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Depends on model year. My 2013 A6 3.0T will remember the setting after the car is turned off. I believe only the latest U.S. models (2016+?) will default to "on" each time. Also, I believe the U.S. MY2012 C7s did not have the stop/start feature at all.
Correct on both counts I believe. I keep mine off because it's not exactly smooth in operation but I guess it would be nice to have if you're stressing about making it to the gas station.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

In some situations, such as prolonged braking, it is normal operation for the start-stop to engage before coming to a complete stop.

Quick Reply: A6 purchase: Your opinions