Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 TDI Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
The biggest issue was Audi at the time was that they were ****, let alone the spastic 60 minutes piece that dragged Audi through the mud, which everyone ate up. This is an issue which has tagged VW mostly and peripheraly Audi, but it is not safety related. Again, how much has this affected GM (hardly the gold standard for quality) or Chrysler, which announces a large recall seemingly weekly? The answer is not much.
Plus...lest we forget...it's two DIFFERENT engines. The 3.0TDI uses the AdBlue/Urea injection, whereas the 2.0TDI does not. This is a significant difference between emission systems.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NoahWeb
Plus...lest we forget...it's two DIFFERENT engines. The 3.0TDI uses the AdBlue/Urea injection, whereas the 2.0TDI does not. This is a significant difference between emission systems.
Yes. FWIW, MB's Zetsche was saying in news over the weekend he wasn't worried (yet) about their 4-cylinder diesels (MB uses AdBlue in those). As does GM in the Chevy Cruze diesel 4-cyl. Aside from Passat (IIRC) just VW/Audi opted not to on their 4-cyl diesel...

Last edited by A7_TDI; 09-21-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoahWeb
Not entirely correct. The 2012-15 Passat uses the SCR treatment (AdBlue/Urea). Though it appears only vehicles 14-15 are affected. Since Volkswagen Group of America brought the new EA288 2.0TDI here, every car equipped with it uses the SCR treatment too, including Audi A3 TDI (2015) and all VW models of 2015 using the ubiquitous 2.0TDI.

EDIT: You are right though in saying certain models for this are of a different emissions system. They use a DPF regeneration cycle solely without a SCR feature. This decreases their fuel economy but was designed at a time when SCR was just being born from the likes of VW and Mercedes Benz.

Our 3.0TDI of discussion here is the newer variant to the engine, as used in the Toureg, A6/7 and Q5. Porsche Cayenne uses a tweaked version; essentially the same. The A8 and Q7 use an older engine (merely from 2009/10 IIRC). VAG has since replaced this 3.0 240hp engine with a ~272hp engine currently being sold in Europe.

Last edited by DasA6; 09-21-2015 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just read that this issue impacts 11 million vehicles worldwide, including the 500,000 in the US. What we don't know for sure is whether or not the 3.0 is impacted. The UWV study only used the 4-cylinder TDIs.

If you are leasing, I suppose it shouldn't be an issue. If you are purchasing, it might be worthwhile to wait until more details emerge. When was you car expected to arrive at the dealership?

I bought a TDI last month. While I really like the car, had this news been made public at that time, I would probably have not purchased a diesel. There are just too many good cars in the marketplace to take the downtime/depreciation/reputation risk.

Originally Posted by Chewy379
So I put an order down for an A6 TDI over 4 weeks ago, and now with the diesel fiasco with VW, am wondering what I should do about my order.

One of the main lures of the diesel was its power efficiency plus power combination, if the 3.0 TDI is indeed affected, I may want to opt for the 3.0T SC engine instead.

Any ideas?
Old 09-22-2015, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

"As of late Monday, the EPA is reported to be investigating the 3.0-liter turbodiesel V6 made by VW Group and used in vehicles like the Audi A6 and Q5, Porsche Cayenne and Volkswagen Touareg..."

Name:  AudiTDIDC_zpsrihpoing.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  113.0 KB
Old 09-22-2015, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are at all concerned about resale, reputation, decreased performance or downtime - you should run, not walk away from any VW / Audi diesel purchase at this time

This is no small thing. VW's stock has been absolutely crushed. Fines will be huge. Reputation will suffer.

And if anyone is foolish to think the EPA is stopping just at the 2.0 diesel, please. The EPA will now scrutinize every diesel made by VW / Audi.

This is just the tip of the iceberg

Last edited by Maverick61; 09-22-2015 at 05:09 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Agreed that the VW brands including Audi will take a hit and not just TDI vehicles. The viability of VW is at stake. My A6 is on the boat and I'm glad it is not the TDI right now, but I wonder how the financial hit will affect the service and warranty in the future. This is so large it will take years to sort out I would think.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Yammyhaha
Agreed that the VW brands including Audi will take a hit and not just TDI vehicles. The viability of VW is at stake. My A6 is on the boat and I'm glad it is not the TDI right now, but I wonder how the financial hit will affect the service and warranty in the future. This is so large it will take years to sort out I would think.
My 2016 A6 is on the boat at this time as well. This EPA deception issue might well have an impact on many things Audi, including future resale value IMO. That is another reason that I am happy I am leasing. Perhaps AoA will have to absorb the reduced value three years down the pike. not me.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
"As of late Monday, the EPA is reported to be investigating the 3.0-liter turbodiesel V6 made by VW Group and used in vehicles like the Audi A6 and Q5, Porsche Cayenne and Volkswagen Touareg..."

It's funny because my TDI does regen. About every 2500 miles or so when I turn it off the fans are roaring and you can smell it.

Wonder if it's certain vehicles only if the 3.0 TDI is involved?
Old 09-22-2015, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would cancel my order and I'd try to pick a TDI on a dealer lot who's running scared with all of this bad press. The TDI is very much discountable right now for all the reasons you are thinking about cancelling your order! Capitalize on this moment!

The problem is absolutely "fixable" and ultimately will be solved to everyone's satisfaction. I'm not even convinced that the A6 has a problem. Those that value diesel cars will continue to put a premium on having one, the earth will continue to spin around the sun, depreciation on autos will still be insane, blah blah blah.

VW will be busting their chops to work this to resolution and get off the front page as soon as possible. They need to start controlling the messaging on this problem and they will.

Quick Reply: A6 TDI Problem