Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 TDI Problem

Old 09-22-2015, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chewy379
So I put an order down for an A6 TDI over 4 weeks ago, and now with the diesel fiasco with VW, am wondering what I should do about my order.

One of the main lures of the diesel was its power efficiency plus power combination, if the 3.0 TDI is indeed affected, I may want to opt for the 3.0T SC engine instead.

Any ideas?
If I was considering an A6 TDI I'd think seriously about leasing, to lock in a guaranteed residual value. Once the market sours on VW diesels, many will not take the trouble to differentiate one model from another, and all will take a hit in resale value.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Diogenes
If I was considering an A6 TDI I'd think seriously about leasing, to lock in a guaranteed residual value. Once the market sours on VW diesels, many will not take the trouble to differentiate one model from another, and all will take a hit in resale value.
I am not getting a TDI but I was surprised that the residuals are pretty good right now. On my current 2013 A6 P+ 2.0 QT the residual was 46% for 3 years @ 10,000 miles per year.
Now the residual is 58% for 3 years @ 12,000 miles per year. The money factor is better too.
I went from $670 a month on my '13 to $580 on the '16 - both zero down, only sales tax and fees upfront. That's $90 a month less for the same trim A6, 3 years newer, with 2,000 miles a year more and a lot more standard features. This time I added the 19" sport package as well. Both included Audi Care.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gtidriver
just read that this issue impacts 11 million vehicles worldwide, including the 500,000 in the US. What we don't know for sure is whether or not the 3.0 is impacted. The UWV study only used the 4-cylinder TDIs.

If you are leasing, I suppose it shouldn't be an issue. If you are purchasing, it might be worthwhile to wait until more details emerge. When was you car expected to arrive at the dealership?

I bought a TDI last month. While I really like the car, had this news been made public at that time, I would probably have not purchased a diesel. There are just too many good cars in the marketplace to take the downtime/depreciation/reputation risk.
I placed my order just over a month ago and was given an ETA of 4 months, so sometime in december as a rough estimate. This was a purchase, I'm not so sure what I should do now. Should I still stick with Audi or head to another brand? This was gonna be my first Audi and I was pretty excited, now I'm not too sure.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Does anyone have any suggestions for a phrase Audi can use to replace "Truth in Engineering" now that this situation has emerged? lol
Old 09-22-2015, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Does anyone have any suggestions for a phrase Audi can use to replace "Truth in Engineering" now that this situation has emerged? lol
"Re-engineering Truth"
Old 09-22-2015, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I placed my order just over a month ago and was given an ETA of 4 months, so sometime in december as a rough estimate. This was a purchase, I'm not so sure what I should do now. Should I still stick with Audi or head to another brand? This was gonna be my first Audi and I was pretty excited, now I'm not too sure.
I'd say keep the order and see what happens in another 2-3 months....worst case, if this turns into an issue involving all TDI engines, you can walk away before delivery if you get cold feet. Personally, I'm not worried about the 3.0 TDI being impacted by this (call me naive). I'm not sure if this meaningful or not relative to the current emissions issue, but I am amazed to this day (after 2 yrs and 30k miles) how clean my TDI's tailpipes are (with little or no effort to keep them clean) compared to my prior 3.0T A6 and 2.0T A4....I can only assume though that this is a testament to the effectiveness of the "clean diesel" technology on this car.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audi40
I'd say keep the order and see what happens in another 2-3 months....worst case, if this turns into an issue involving all TDI engines, you can walk away before delivery if you get cold feet. Personally, I'm not worried about the 3.0 TDI being impacted by this (call me naive). I'm not sure if this meaningful or not relative to the current emissions issue, but I am amazed to this day (after 2 yrs and 30k miles) how clean my TDI's tailpipes are (with little or no effort to keep them clean) compared to my prior 3.0T A6 and 2.0T A4....I can only assume though that this is a testament to the effectiveness of the "clean diesel" technology on this car.
I also had to put a downpayment that was supposedly non refundable.... Do you think they will refund it if I decide to cancel if there IS an issue with the 3.0 TDI? I'm thinking they should have to as when I bought the car with the mentality that there was going to be no issues with it.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default A6 TDI Problem

I've got an A6 TDI coming in November.

Not really worried about this, maybe a little. It's a great car, that's why I bought it. It's a lease but my intention was to buy it out at the end. So we'll see how this turns out. If it is impacted I may think about cancelling my order. Anybody know when news of this may come out?
Old 09-22-2015, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I also had to put a downpayment that was supposedly non refundable.... Do you think they will refund it if I decide to cancel if there IS an issue with the 3.0 TDI? I'm thinking they should have to as when I bought the car with the mentality that there was going to be no issues with it.

Did you sign anything agreeing that the deposit was non-refundable? Did you pay by check or credit card - if by credit card you could always contact the bank and ask them to reverse the charge as you haven't taken delivery and are concerned that there's a problem (i.e. the emissions recall) that warrants cancelling any agreement you might have signed with the dealer. Normally a deposit is refundable if you don't take delivery of the car, unless it was an Audi Exclusive order or a color/options combination they might have difficulty selling.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audi40
Did you sign anything agreeing that the deposit was non-refundable? Did you pay by check or credit card - if by credit card you could always contact the bank and ask them to reverse the charge as you haven't taken delivery and are concerned that there's a problem (i.e. the emissions recall) that warrants cancelling any agreement you might have signed with the dealer. Normally a deposit is refundable if you don't take delivery of the car, unless it was an Audi Exclusive order or a color/options combination they might have difficulty selling.
This was my first time buying a car, I believe I did sign something, my memories fuzzy about this part, not sure whether it was the deposit being non-refundable or for the custom order. I didn't get a copy either, the only paper they gave me was the build info. (This will teach me to get a copy of everything next time )

I'm hoping I can get my deposit back if I do end up cancelling later on.

EDIT: I'm thinking since last I checked (a week ago) my car was still on wait list (weird since its been almost 5 weeks since I ordered) should I take the chance to switch it now to the regular 3.0TFSI engine?

Last edited by Chewy379; 09-22-2015 at 07:48 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A6 TDI Problem