Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 vs 2015 Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 01:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A6 vs 2015 Sonata

So I am starting to regret my new A6 purchase. I just saw all the specs and pricing on the new sonata and in opinion, its way more bang for your buck! I realize that its only 200hp, but I don't drive fast so the hp is a moot point for me. Wondering what you guys thought? Amazing that the new Sonata has 106 cu/ft of total passenger Volume to the A6's 97cu/ft. The cargo area is bigger on the Sonata as well. Its electronics options and safety options blow Audi out of the water (minus Audi's Google maps).

I recently test drove the new v6 2015 genesis and it definitely out-performs my Audi hands down, and its much quieter and the AC seats work 10x better. Will be curious to see how much of the Genesis engineering carries over to the Sonata. I guess this is all no surprise seeing as Peter Schreyer is now running the show at Hyundai, bad move by Audi to let him go. Looks like I may be trading in my Audi soon!
Old 06-22-2014, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Koreans are building some very nice cars these days. I think they're the Japanese cars of the early 80's - excellent but not yet recognized for that.

With all that said, I think Audis have never (at least across my time with them) been "worth" the price objectively. It's the 100s or 1000s of little subjective things that add up to one suddenly thinking a $60K car is "worth" it.

The only thing I'd say, is your money is already spent on the A6, drive it and enjoy it. Otherwise you'll quickly find out that Audi puts the resale value right on the hood.... 0000
Old 06-22-2014, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I've never driven a Sonata or a Genesis but I always thought the Genesis was a better comparison to the A6. I do think the Genesis looks good, and maybe even better, on paper, but these are not a fantasy league exercise. In my book it's more than what's on the paper that persuades me, and the A6 has that something special in spades IMHO. Yesterday I found myself cruising nexted to a new Infiniti Q50. Nice looking machine. And I'm sure it has better amenities for less money than my 3.0T Prestige, but that guy doesn't know what he's missing and that's just fine by me.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A6ninja
So I am starting to regret my new A6 purchase. I just saw all the specs and pricing on the new sonata and in opinion, its way more bang for your buck! I realize that its only 200hp, but I don't drive fast so the hp is a moot point for me. Wondering what you guys thought? Amazing that the new Sonata has 106 cu/ft of total passenger Volume to the A6's 97cu/ft. The cargo area is bigger on the Sonata as well. Its electronics options and safety options blow Audi out of the water (minus Audi's Google maps).

I recently test drove the new v6 2015 genesis and it definitely out-performs my Audi hands down, and its much quieter and the AC seats work 10x better. Will be curious to see how much of the Genesis engineering carries over to the Sonata. I guess this is all no surprise seeing as Peter Schreyer is now running the show at Hyundai, bad move by Audi to let him go. Looks like I may be trading in my Audi soon!
With all due respect, if you are comparing an Audi A6 to a Sonata your not the type of customer who appreciates an Audi for what it is, and how it's different from a non luxury brand, I do not see why you would spend the money on an Audi in the first place.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by A6ninja

Since passenger and cargo volume seem to be important to you, have you considered a minivan with air conditioned seats?
Old 06-22-2014, 04:58 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

So wait, the sonata has a bigger trunk and is half the price. Which safety features are you lacking on your A6 that the Sonata has?

You said you don't drive fast, so why does it matter if the Genesis out performs the A6? And I'm sorry, but there's no way in hell I'd pay that kind of money for ANY Korean car, I don't care how good it is.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

As far as "bang for the buck" cars, used simply for transportation, I thing the Genesis along with the Subaru WRX sti are way up there.

My issue is, when I get some free time and the kids are sleeping, I take my instant detailer out to my garage, wipe down my car and think "damn I love this beautiful *** car." When my wife is around to watch the kids and I have free time, I go for a drive to nowhere and think "damn I love driving this car."

While I appreciate many of the cars produced by Asian manufacturers, they don't give me that feeling that a car guy should have for his car. If I viewed my car merely as transportation, there would have been many better options than my Audi and I would probably be in a Genesis. My relationship with Asian care can be defined by the old adage "Its not you, its me..."
Old 06-22-2014, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, if you sell it I'll trade ya my 19" OEM wheels for your 20's!!
Old 06-22-2014, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are certain things a person should have a sense of pride in, whether it be family, career, or in many of the posters' here case, their cars. A passion for something and a love for that passion can offer you a place of reconcile when things go rough, and as a person with past mistakes, cars offered me a place of refuge. Enjoy what you love and work towards keeping it.

The Sonata was just redesigned for 2015. The A6 was designed for 2011/12. When Samsung and Apple come out with phones that run circles around last year's phones, it goes to show that it is hard to beat something brand new with an old design. If cars are more of a transportation factor, keep to that. There are quite a bit of bargain buys out there, as Hyundai just showed. For some though, they are an extension of themselves, something that shows pride in what you've worked for.

To each his own.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Whenever I read a post like this from someone relatively new to participating in the discussion forums, I have to wonder if it isn't one of those "toss a hand grenade" things designed solely to enjoy watching the emotional responses. Kinda like sitting in the home stands of the home team at a football game and cheering for the other side just to see the reaction you get.

Quick Reply: A6 vs 2015 Sonata