Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 vs 2015 Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2015 Genesis is copying the 2012 BMW, MB, Audi, and Lexus car designs, tech, etc.

Sorry dude but its already 3 years behind. Take it apart individually, and it gets worse. Headlights are from 2008 Audi A5 designed like a 2013 GMC Acadia. Trunk rear lid is from a 2011 M37. The rear exhausts are from a 2010 MB e350.

So yeah it makes sense that the Genesis is cheaper. Its like buying a used car in 2015. Need more proof? You're not comparing the first model year 2012 A6 to a 2009 Genesis so why compare a 2015 Genesis to a 2012 A6? Because in 2012 the A6 was ahead of the genesis and in 2015 its on par with 2012 a6.

Finally, the Genesis has an identity crisis. Example 1: two radically different badge designs in the front and back. Example 2: my first impression when I saw it on the road was of confusion Example 3: oh its a copycat

Genesis looks good and blends in with the rest of the sheep. However, its not a wolf in sheep's clothing, it's a copycat in sheep's clothing. There's nothing wrong with that if it floats your boat. Just don't pretend its anything else or you'd be lying to yourself.

Last edited by stuckintraffic; 06-22-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Whenever I read a post like this from someone relatively new to participating in the discussion forums, I have to wonder if it isn't one of those "toss a hand grenade" things designed solely to enjoy watching the emotional responses. Kinda like sitting in the home stands of the home team at a football game and cheering for the other side just to see the reaction you get.
I felt like this when I read it. Not even comparing it to the Genesis, but the Sonata? I enjoy my A6 more than any other car I've owned. Before the Audi I was strictly Asian (Infinity, Acura, and Lexus). None in my opinion compare to this vehicle. Also, for the tough season we had in PA last winter, the Audi with winter tires did better then any other vehicle any of my friends and family owns. It was unstoppable. I'm already looking and dreaming of an S6/S7 when I'm ready for another in a few years.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Whenever I read a post like this from someone relatively new to participating in the discussion forums, I have to wonder if it isn't one of those "toss a hand grenade" things designed solely to enjoy watching the emotional responses. Kinda like sitting in the home stands of the home team at a football game and cheering for the other side just to see the reaction you get.
I must say that I felt the same way when I read the post before anybody had responded. Also, after I had read it I was stumped for a response (which is very unlike me!).
Old 06-23-2014, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by samthemana8
With all due respect, if you are comparing an Audi A6 to a Sonata your not the type of customer who appreciates an Audi for what it is, and how it's different from a non luxury brand, I do not see why you would spend the money on an Audi in the first place.
I think this sums up the context of the OP. There are certainly other cars that are a better bang for the buck, with some features that may be better implemented, but Audis are very much about the driving experience, fit and finish of materials, and the enjoyment you get from driving and owning such a machine.

I can't fault the OP for appreciating bang the for the buck and wanting to spend less on a vehicle. It would be interesting to hear why he decided on the A6 initially.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

...I have to wonder if it isn't one of those "toss a hand grenade" things designed solely to enjoy watching the emotional responses...
I agree.

On the other hand, if what you want is a "transportation appliance" to simply move you from one point to the other with minimal cost and fuss, then there are many cars that would be a better fit and buy for you than one of the German cars.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yep, has to be, or I feel sorry for the OP. For sure if it is a genuine question, the OP should go with the Hyundai. I think they make nice looking cars and have fine gadgetry, but I have never once been excited by the prospect of a Hyundai. Any Hyundai I have driven in has peeling chrome on the door handles and pieces falling off the exterior. Now to throw out the Sonata is laughable, a Hyundai Sonata... Really?

I almost feel like you should be booted out of the Audi club, maybe we can help facilitate your move to Hyundai.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I've tried one of these "bang-for-the-buck" moves in the past, specifically a Hyundai, after having owned BMW and Audi. For most people (probably very few of us here), the Hyundai would have been fine, but it only took me five months to unload it. Having subsequently owned more Audis and a couple of 911s, no Hyundai is going to cut it. Hyundai et al make decent enough cars, but it's what's underneath that counts, and spec sheet shopping is a fool's game.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a different take on the OP’s posting. I have loved my last four Audi’s, no question about it. However, I am the sort who can “settle” for things fairly easily and from time to time I see a KIA, a Chevy (whatever) – even a Subaru recently – and I think for a moment “ah, maybe that will be my next car.” Last time I rented a KIA Soul on a vacation I fell in love with it.
Audi’s are expensive, so I always wonder if I need the luxury and such they offer. Right now I am trying to decide what to do when my current 2013 A6’s lease is up in December 2015. I went through the same drill in 2008, 2010 and 2012 and each time wound up with another Audi. One thing that is making my uncertainty a bit more real this time is the little rear-ender I had in April last year. The damage was minimal (not structural) and the repair work good, but in some sense I can’t wait to get rid of this car because in my mind it is “damaged goods.”
I can settle for a simpler and cheaper car so long as it is solid and sound for what it is. That being said, I will be driving my A6 to Watkins Glen for the 6-Hour Tudor race this coming weekend, participate in the Audi corral events and have breakfast with the Audi drivers. Sometimes the grass does look greener for a moment or two, but we usually wind up not going across the street for some pretty good reasons.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a car that makes economic sense and gives you the best value for your money, Hyundai is probably a better choice than Audi.
Having said that, I think the A6 is one of the luxury cars that provides relatively good value for its price in its league. (compared to its competitor models or Audi's own A7)
Old 06-23-2014, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 44 Posts

There are different kinds of "value". One is intrinsic value which is what the actual object costs, more or less, to build the car plus a profit for the seller. Then there is comparative value which is derived by the competitive brands and models to each other. Finally, there is subjective value which is placed solely by the one assessing the value. Brand loyalty, uniqueness, status, appearance and pride of ownership are examples. Those, generally, who decide to purchase an Audi tend to place more importance on the subjective over the other two. Much like they probably do in other purchase decisions. Any car will get you to your destination but some provide a superior sense of satisfaction while getting there. "It's not the destination but the journey".

Quick Reply: A6 vs 2015 Sonata