Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 vs 2015 Sonata

Old 06-23-2014, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you want to compare the Sonata to the A6? If you want best bang for the buck, your best bet would be a honda accord or a toyota Prius. We bought the Audi A6 for a reason and it is definitely not for best bang for the buck! By the way, I have a honda fit as my daily driver and i think it is my best bang for the buck period. OP, you will feel better selling the car. That's my opinion.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Audi’s are expensive, so I always wonder if I need the luxury and such they offer.
You don't. As my salesguy pointed out "Nobody comes to this store with a need."
Old 06-23-2014, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

A Sonata ???? really ????

Not much to say if you are trying to compare the two

I guess if you want basic transportation, you can buy a lot of cheaper cars that give you more bang for your buck. That is not Audi's target market

A Sonata ???? really ????
Old 06-23-2014, 12:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

dude you should have bought a Korean or Japanese or possibly even American.
you paid more for what you don't care or cannot appreciate and gotten less of what is important for YOU with your Audi.
this is not wrong - it is just you have different needs and values than most Audi/BMW drivers
Old 06-23-2014, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A6ninja
So I am starting to regret my new A6 purchase. I just saw all the specs and pricing on the new sonata and in opinion, its way more bang for your buck! I realize that its only 200hp, but I don't drive fast so the hp is a moot point for me. Wondering what you guys thought? Amazing that the new Sonata has 106 cu/ft of total passenger Volume to the A6's 97cu/ft. The cargo area is bigger on the Sonata as well. Its electronics options and safety options blow Audi out of the water (minus Audi's Google maps).

I recently test drove the new v6 2015 genesis and it definitely out-performs my Audi hands down, and its much quieter and the AC seats work 10x better. Will be curious to see how much of the Genesis engineering carries over to the Sonata. I guess this is all no surprise seeing as Peter Schreyer is now running the show at Hyundai, bad move by Audi to let him go. Looks like I may be trading in my Audi soon!

Wow to compare an A6 to a Sonata is really a long leap. That is getting to just basics, they both have 4 wheels, an engine and tranny. These cars are in different leagues, and actually different worlds for target market.

Now your Genesis comparison holds up better. The A6 to me is still a superior machine, but the a Hyundai offers very similar features at a significant discount. They stole,the Audi play book literally by hiring an ex-Audi executive to help them. If you look at Genesis buyers roughly half of them are coming from pricier luxury cars. The AWD Genesis is 40/60 full time just like Quattro and I assume when they offer it in an R-Spec V8 sporty model and learn to market the AWD as a performance option as much as for foul weather they will sell even more.

If you look at a loaded V6 AWD Genesis it runs just shy of $53K and an A6 with comparable features is about $12-13K more. Hyundai still lacks the suspension tuning and handling that the Germans excel at, but I can see many value oriented folks swapping a German badge for a Korean badge.

I will be honest as I see that car payment deducted every month from my account the new Genesis is appealing, but then I get behind the wheel of my A6 and realize what a damn amazing machine it is. Hyundai has a long way to go on the suspension and power train, but if you just want a really nice riding value packaged car then the Genesis is nice, if you want an well crafted engineered machine then the Audi is still the way to go.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sorry for slow response

Hey guys. Thanks to everyone who had constructive responses. I am actually on my 4th Audi in 18 years as I have never driven anything but Audi. I was just starting to wonder if maybe like some of you guys I was also drinking too much of the kool-aid. Thus, wondering your opinions on the surge of Korean luxury vehicles.

I love Audi's, always have. My dream car is RS7 if money were no object. The point of my post was just that its surprising to see how little Audi offers outside of the driving experience for the price you pay. I realize that the Sonata is not a comparable vehicle to my A6, but it is amazing that it has more interior space and more gadgets and safety features. The Napa leather in the new Genesis is amazingly gorgeous and without a doubt comparable to my A6's leather. Do I want to drive a mini-van? No. But I do want to drive a luxurious mid-size car which it seems is a market that the Koreans are trying to grab up.

Anyway, didn't mean to get everyone all riled up. Was just wondering your thoughts.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I realize that the Sonata is not a comparable vehicle to my A6, but it is amazing that it has more interior space and more gadgets and safety features.
Ummm, a school bus has more interior space than the A6 - doesn't mean people want to go out and buy school busses. If interior space is your sole criteria, man, you have been wasting your money buying an Audi. get yourself a nice schoolbus, perhaps a big box truck, or a minivan

Gadgets and safety features??? Really. How about listing and comparing them

And while you are doing that, ponder this:

Does the Sonata have AWD - that is one huge safety feature right there.

And lets not even get into a comparison of engines and transmission - because you seem enamored with silly things, that I am sure when you go to list and show us the difference, you will find nothing of importance

The Napa leather in the new Genesis is amazingly gorgeous and without a doubt comparable to my A6's leather.
And there you go switching from the Sonata to the Genesis. Which shows the shortcomings of the Sonata that you must refer to the Genesis to talk about its leather
Old 06-23-2014, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Anyway, didn't mean to get everyone all riled up. Was just wondering your thoughts.
You didn't get me riled up at all. I am just about where you are in terms of looking around, evaluating, asking questions and re-thinking assumptions. I think one has to be open to all the alternatives in life, and one for me might be to have two new cars for the price of one next time.

Last edited by irenesbob; 06-23-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I remember back in the 80s when Toyota, Nissan and Honda jumped into luxury with Lexus, Infinity and Acura. People thought that the Asian competitors who do value so well would crush the Germans. But guess what? Didn't happen. Lexus is no doubt the king of the heap of Asian luxury and they make fantastic luxury cars, but even 30 years later with all it's success Lexus is still seen as the "value" buy with slightly less cachet than the three German brands. I think the fate of Hyundai and Kia will be the same. If you want a Genesis go and have fun, but you won't convince me that it's a better value.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now I'm really curious what better gadgets and safety features the Sonata has over the A6.
OP, do you mind giving us a few examples?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A6 vs 2015 Sonata