Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 vs 2015 Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It becomes a question of what is important to people. I know as I get older and and see retirement in the future and start to determine how to alight with those goals as much as I love the A6 I am beginning to weigh what is truly important to me. I am not wealthy, but I make a decent living and have been fortunate to have driven numerous decent just in the last 10 years. But as I spend less time pleasure driving and most of my time commuting I am on the fence as to what my next ride will be. I will say I love my A6 as it impressives me and thrills me every day it is one awesome well designed and executed machine.

That said I get what I think the original poster was getting at, but will agree with others, the real comparison is with the Genesis as a loaded AWD Gensis runs about $12-$13K less than the A6 and does offer true full time 40/60 AWD. Hyundai did a good job copying the Audi play book, down to similar grille design. They are miles from being in the same league with power train and handling, but then that may not be important to some.

While I doubt Hyundai will hurt Audi sales much the real squeeze is Acura and Infiniti, mostly Acura. Lexus has distanced itself from the Asian pack, enough so that they are the only asian plate that qualifies for Audi conquest cash. Infiniti at least has a plan to step up their brand, but poor Acura is going to be seriously squeezed as they were the real luxury value brand and now Hyundai is out doing them with style and features.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
There are different kinds of "value". One is intrinsic value which is what the actual object costs, more or less, to build the car plus a profit for the seller. Then there is comparative value which is derived by the competitive brands and models to each other. Finally, there is subjective value which is placed solely by the one assessing the value. Brand loyalty, uniqueness, status, appearance and pride of ownership are examples. Those, generally, who decide to purchase an Audi tend to place more importance on the subjective over the other two. Much like they probably do in other purchase decisions. Any car will get you to your destination but some provide a superior sense of satisfaction while getting there. "It's not the destination but the journey".
PERFECTLY SAID!!!

It's kind of like comparing a 1lb burger to a 12oz filet mignon. Is the burger going to fill you more than the filet mignon? Sure. Is the burger going to cost less? Sure. But I'll take the experience and taste of the fine dining experience of a filet mignon any day of the week over a burger because it's so much more satisfying.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I think that the KIA Optima is the solution. Tastes even worse than a Sonata and fills you up more.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keithl
But as I spend less time pleasure driving and most of my time commuting I am on the fence as to what my next ride will be.
Speaking as the distinct minority here, let me throw out a radical idea. How about the 2014 A6 in your signature?

In other words, if you're really trying to align with reduced financial expenditures, in most cases the immediate car-related way to do that is to stop buying cars every 3-4 years. I know, I know, heresy!

Even my C5->C7 transition (after 14yrs) is NOT a financially good decision. For the price of the new S6 I could fix everything on the C5 and have the engine completely worked over into a monster... and probably still have several years of maintenance costs banked.

Just $0.02 from a conservative old guy

P.S. I was at a stoplight next to a Sonata yesterday. It had spinners. I was jealous ... NOT!
Old 06-25-2014, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
I think that the KIA Optima is the solution. Tastes even worse than a Sonata and fills you up more.
I actually think that KIA's in general (specifically Optima compared to Sonata) are much more attractive (dare I say Euro?) than Hyundai's. The other day I saw a truck unloading KIA K900’s at my local KIA dealer, and they were all velcro'd up in their almost-white tailored protective transport covers, just like new Audi’s – lol.
To me the KIA and Hyundai corporate stable mates are pretty much like Oldsmobile and Buick back in the 1950’s and 1960’s: one a bit more staid, the other a bit flashier. I would likely go for a KIA Cadenza or K900 if I had to buy Korean at this point. Of course, Korean can mean built in the USA these days.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

When discussing "bang for the buck," I have found Audi's crap residuals make CPOs and other slightly used Audis to be great buys. The local Porsche dealership had a low mileage 2011 A8L, with the $98k window sticker still in the glove box, for $45k. The aftermarket extended warranty to cover the car until 2018 was $2k more. The car was spotless, cleaner than my A8 that only has 10k miles on it. I can't imagine how any Asian car can beat that value.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by samthemana8
With all due respect, if you are comparing an Audi A6 to a Sonata your not the type of customer who appreciates an Audi for what it is, and how it's different from a non luxury brand, I do not see why you would spend the money on an Audi in the first place.
Well said, sir!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I just saw a Yahoo News article that says the Hyundai Genesis combines GPS and braking technology to slow the car down if drivers are speeding when they approach a speed camera. The speed camera detection system will also alert drivers 800 meters in advance and sound a signal if the car is speeding ahead of a camera. Fixed-speed cameras and average-speed cameras are detected by the car, but the system will obviously not work with mobile cameras or highway patrol cars.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Maybe we should add a Hyundai Sonata discussion section to the AW forums.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Maybe we should add a Hyundai Sonata discussion section to the AW forums.
I know, right? I'm still trying to wrap my head around how these two cars are even being compared against each other.

Quick Reply: A6 vs 2015 Sonata