Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A7 wheels on an A6

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Prince Gitau
Hey there,
I tried the exact thing you are saying. I thought I outwitted Audi. By putting 265/35R20 on my Allroad on the rear they were fine but on the front wheels I experienced rubbing as I steered to get into parking. I had to take them off for a week as I got some offset rims. Now they are perfect. The main problem is your front wheels getting limitted to steer
Looking at the alteration values;
That's 10mm laterally and only 3.5mm vertically.

Spacers is not the way to go. It'll affect the cars stability but Offset rims have the stability aspect factored into the offset.
All the best.
Thanks for your input! question -The Allroad is an A4 base right? I wonder if the A6 wheel well is larger and that results in the clearance required for the 265's? I don't have the sport suspension btw so right off the bat it looks like there's enough space.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually the Allroad is built of the A6 platform, mine is off the C5 with the airmatic suspension...
which came with 225/55R17 Standard. Then I pushed it up to 255/35R20 then to 265 which I know is my limit. Come to think of it, I dint really look much into what was being rubbed against. You could fit one on the front and watch how it travels full left-right. Could be the stone guard that's in the path..that can be forced to make way but if its the inner walls well there...we don't wanna mess with the safety..

When I took mine off I'ws looking at a worst case scenario where I have to swerve at high speed and my tire getting cut into on the side wall..
It could work-again its trial and error and just watch the limits.. Audi's are built to be safe-lets keep it that way..
All the best..
Old 05-04-2015, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All,

just wanted to report that I mounted the 20" A7 wheels with the 265/35R20 and so far so good! the wheels/tires look awesome and the ride (at least to me) is just as comfortable as it was with my 18". It feels more sure-footed but probably because the tires are new (vs. my old ones that reaaally needed to be replaced. Here are a couple pics.

Oh and by the way, I'm looking at selling my 18" in case you know of anyone! thanks
Attached Images    

Last edited by jcamber; 05-05-2015 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I sent you an email regarding this. Did you run into any issues considering the tire section width is 265 as opposed to 255? Thanks.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:42 PM
Wza
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey guys,
I found a set of these 20" A7 wheels for sale and am thinking about replacing my 20" A6 wheels that have some curb rash. My problem is I just bought new 255/35/20 PS3's for the stock A6 wheels 500 miles ago. Has anyone mounted the 255 on the wider A7 wheel or will they stretch too much to look/ride right? (I don't need to go back to my GTI stance days!) Thanks for your input.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Wza
Hey guys,
I found a set of these 20" A7 wheels for sale and am thinking about replacing my 20" A6 wheels that have some curb rash. My problem is I just bought new 255/35/20 PS3's for the stock A6 wheels 500 miles ago. Has anyone mounted the 255 on the wider A7 wheel or will they stretch too much to look/ride right? (I don't need to go back to my GTI stance days!) Thanks for your input.
Each tire manufacturer publishes a range of acceptable wheels by tire size which is available on their websites.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:13 AM
Wza
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
Each tire manufacturer publishes a range of acceptable wheels by tire size which is available on their websites.
Thanks NABS4. I did some more searching and found a great site to compare tire/wheels sizes from an A5/S5 group. It let's you plug all you tire and wheel specs in and tells you how the rim will sit and potential clearance issues. It has probably been mentioned here before, but just in case...

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

And best of all, it says the 255/35/20 will fit just fine on the 9.0" 37ET offset A7 rim. It will even stick out 8mm further than the stock A6 wheel. Just what I was looking for!
Old 10-09-2015, 04:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jcamber
All,

just wanted to report that I mounted the 20" A7 wheels with the 265/35R20 and so far so good! the wheels/tires look awesome and the ride (at least to me) is just as comfortable as it was with my 18". It feels more sure-footed but probably because the tires are new (vs. my old ones that reaaally needed to be replaced. Here are a couple pics.

Oh and by the way, I'm looking at selling my 18" in case you know of anyone! thanks
Jcamber, can you throw one of your old rims on a scale and tell us how much they weigh?
Old 10-09-2015, 09:22 AM
Wza
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by EasyRider
Jcamber, can you throw one of your old rims on a scale and tell us how much they weigh?
I have the 20" A7 wheel with me today at work. I put it on our scale here and it weighed out at 29.7 lbs. That is wheel only, no tire.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:32 PM
Wza
Audiworld Junior Member

Just wanted to thank you guys for all your input on this thread and the 100's of others I have read. I got the A7 rims installed with my 255/35/20 Pilot Sport A/S 3's from my other rims. Ohh, and I added the H&R springs since I was getting it aligned anyways!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: A7 wheels on an A6