Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Adaptive LED lights for US models?

Old 06-03-2014, 02:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Adaptive LED lights for US models?

Hello,

I have a 2012 A6 (US model) with the full LED headlight option.
When I go to the car menu in the MMI and select exterior lights, there is an option that says "Audi adaptive lights", and it is selected as "yes".
However, when I drive, I don't notice the headlights "adapting" anything. lol
Does anyone know what the adaptive lights do?
Old 06-03-2014, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

With LED headlights, the only adaptive feature is the corner light that is turned on at lower speeds when turning. Even in Europe LED headlights do not move like HID/Xenon adaptive headlights do to illuminate the road "around" corners.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I think:
Adaptive headlights are for HID and allow for the beam to move left and right on steering input.

Full LED headlights adjust up and down for auto leveling. (can be seen on start up).

Audi Matrix LED headlights are the latest Audi EU innovation that uses many LED's in a matrix to turn on and off in various conditions: cornering, pedestrians, high beam height, oncoming cars etc. Of course, these are banned in the USA because our lawyers have not made any money off of them yet.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
With LED headlights, the only adaptive feature is the corner light that is turned on at lower speeds when turning. Even in Europe LED headlights do not move like HID/Xenon adaptive headlights do to illuminate the road "around" corners.
Correct. Otherwise known as "Static Cornering lights" (the triangular shaped lights nestled below the LED DRL strips), they throw light down and to each side of he car. Either light switches on when the steering wheel is turned at a certain angle up to 44 mph or when the turn signal is activated at speeds up to 25 mph. IIRC, the "adaptive light" MMI setting in cars with the LED headlights allows for this operation to be either on or off. Both static cornering lights can also be turned on by pressing the upper left button next to the headlight control selector.

Since the design of LED headlight covers a wider angle pattern than other types (via static aiming of each LED bulb), there's less need for the left to right swiveling of adaptive lights and the cornering lights help in sharp turns at the slower speeds.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Correct. Otherwise known as "Static Cornering lights" (the triangular shaped lights nestled below the LED DRL strips), they throw light down and to each side of he car. Either light switches on when the steering wheel is turned at a certain angle up to 44 mph or when the turn signal is activated at speeds up to 25 mph. IIRC, the "adaptive light" MMI setting in cars with the LED headlights allows for this operation to be either on or off. Both static cornering lights can also be turned on by pressing the upper left button next to the headlight control selector.

Since the design of LED headlight covers a wider angle pattern than other types (via static aiming of each LED bulb), there's less need for the left to right swiveling of adaptive lights and the cornering lights help in sharp turns at the slower speeds.
Now that is a great recap...appreciate the info
Old 06-03-2014, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
You are correct for the old LED system but the new Matrix system turns lights on and off according to what the car sees in front of it and in which direction it is travelling. $3000 option on A8 and is coming to A6 soon.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
You are correct for the old LED system but the new Matrix system turns lights on and off according to what the car sees in front of it and in which direction it is travelling. $3000 option on A8 and is coming to A6 soon.
Just to clarify, you are speaking to ROW and not the U.S. At least not until the all seeing, all knowing, omnipotent NHTSA decides after years of hand wringing, extensive testing and unanimous board assent that it's ok to allow them.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
Just not in the US for now.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I'm gonna pay more attention next time on the road when I make a turn to see if the static turn lights make any difference. haha
Old 06-03-2014, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by agjil
I'm gonna pay more attention next time on the road when I make a turn to see if the static turn lights make any difference. haha
You can turn them on "permanently" by switching on your fog lights. Personally, the swath of light (with the fog lights lit) is pretty much 180 degrees. I cannot see how the swivelling HIDs could possibly do any better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adaptive LED lights for US models?