Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

AdBlue question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AdBlue question

I have done an in between oil change on my '14 TDI. Right now I have 4,000km on the new oil. The service interval is showing service due in 1,500km for the oil change. AdBlue is also showing 2,300km. The dealer said its ok to go over the oil change interval because they have documentation that I did an in between oil change.

However, in order for them to do the "AdBlue" service, they want to charge me $80 for a gallon - because they have to reset the service light indicator, blah blah blah.

For the TDIs, do you really have to reset the service light for AdBlue or can you just pour in and go?

I should add that I have Audi Care so I don't really want to do the next service soon.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

There's no reason to reset the AdBlu indicator because there should be enough in the tank for ~20,000 km when full. If the AdBlu tank level gets low, the remaining distance warning will come on.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's what it did, the km countdown has begun, it is now at 2,300km. Read my post.

Also, my AdBlue was filled at 23,000km, now the car has 36,000km, so ~ 15,000km on a tank of AdBlue
Old 01-18-2015, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can someone confirm if AdBlue can be filled up and the computer will reset itself without the need to go to the dealer?
Old 01-18-2015, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Superfly_A6
Can someone confirm if AdBlue can be filled up and the computer will reset itself without the need to go to the dealer?
I do not have a A6 TDI but I am starting my search for my next Audi and this car is certainly on my list. I believe the computer in the A6 will adapt and learn how the AdBlue fluid is being consumed based on your driving characteristics. I'm 99% sure you would need to VAG COM to adapt this learning curve to how you drive and reset it for your next interval.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 180 Likes on 160 Posts

People here in the UK have confirmed that the system does reset itself following a top up. Some have been told by the dealer it needs a special tool to undo the filler cap when in reality it is just the wheel brace. With the growth in cars using Adboue here int he UK (and elsewhere in Europe) some filling stations are looking at adding an Adblue pump. Got to be cheaper than buying it by the 500ml from you Audi dealer
Old 01-20-2015, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have done an in between oil change on my '14 TDI. Right now I have 4,000km on the new oil. The service interval is showing service due in 1,500km for the oil change. AdBlue is also showing 2,300km. The dealer said its ok to go over the oil change interval because they have documentation that I did an in between oil change.

However, in order for them to do the "AdBlue" service, they want to charge me $80 for a gallon - because they have to reset the service light indicator, blah blah blah.

For the TDIs, do you really have to reset the service light for AdBlue or can you just pour in and go?

I should add that I have Audi Care so I don't really want to do the next service soon.
I have the same year/model as you do. Just did my 15K service. Bought the DEF from Amazon for $14 for 2.5 gallons (2 of them), used a transmission funnel to help get it in the tank. Didn't need to reset anything. VCDS shows the proper amound in the tank.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hi Guys...here is the 2014 Audi service guide. In this they do suggest an adaptation after filling w/ AdBlue.

http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/a...-Year-2014.pdf

If you don't have a VCDS cable they can be a huge help.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I hear you on the maint instructions, however, there isn't an obvious way to do it in the VCDS screens and the channel 80 hack for 2010 Q7 owners does not work on the 2014 A6 3.0 TDI.

I found a note from Ross-Tech saying the software has been fixed and an adaptation isn't required. I'm wondering if the scheduled maint instructions are correct, there are other errors like 5w-40 oil is preferred, but, it doesn't exist for their vw diesel spec'd oil only 5w-30 is possible.

As an aside, if it was required, I don't know why it isn't in the MMI right next to the tire pressure reset stuff... Adding the adblue is probably as easy as adding diesel.

Anyways, I filled it didn't do anything and it seems ok, including VCDS reported values. Additionally, if it matters, I didn't have a warning indication about miles remaining prior. If I get a warning light later, I'll update this thread, but, I think it has a float in there and this adaptation instructions are bogus.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've now put close to 10 gallons of DEF in my car and have never needed to perform the adaptation as mentioned in the owners manual nor have I even seen anything in the VCDS to actually do that on the A6.

Since I've replenished to capacity almost twice, I'd think I would have had a problem by now and I think its fair to say adaptation and the 3.0 TDI A6 isn't necessary.

Long story short, don't let the owners manual dissuade you from filling it up yourself, you'll save some money and it couldn't be easier.

Quick Reply: AdBlue question