Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Adding sub and amp to Bose system

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you use the Ipad for? The data cap is 2gb, that means if you want stream anything good, you will need your own 3G connection?
Old 03-23-2012, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

I use the iPad for navigation, streaming, movies, emails, surfing, home automation etc. It connects to the internet through a 3G router in the trunk. I have a flat rate 3G plan, so no limits. Upgrading to 4G soon, giving me up to 80MB/s. That should be enough to stream movies from my home theatre server while on the road. How cool is that?
Old 03-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mickelin,

Couple of questions -- did you use just one wire tap for the two positive input wires on the amp to the brown/blue wire?? And one wire tap for the two negative wires into the brown/white wire? How does that work? What wire taps did you use? I thought you would need 4 taps for the 4 wires coming out of the harness provided by JL for the high level inputs.

Also, where did you plug the negative (ground) wire? I know there is a place by the Bose amp but that has the black plastic "shelf like" piece that holds up the amp screwed into it -- is that where you screwed your ground wire into?

Thanks in advance for your assistance -- the parts should be here today and want to plan all my steps before I begin!
Old 03-25-2012, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I didn't want to splice in the JL harness directly, since I'll probably add an LC2i and use the low level inputs eventually. I just spliced in a few inches of regular wire, using two T-splices, and then used a "sugar cube" connector to screw the harness onto the wire, with both + and both - in the same screw.

The T-splices are the regular kind that you find in any RadioShack or hardware store.

There is a grounding point just in front of the Bose amp, on the wheel well. There are 4-5 wires grounded there already. Just unscrew the nut, stick on your ground wire and replace the nut.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mickelin
I didn't want to splice in the JL harness directly, since I'll probably add an LC2i and use the low level inputs eventually. I just spliced in a few inches of regular wire, using two T-splices, and then used a "sugar cube" connector to screw the harness onto the wire, with both + and both - in the same screw.

The T-splices are the regular kind that you find in any RadioShack or hardware store.

There is a grounding point just in front of the Bose amp, on the wheel well. There are 4-5 wires grounded there already. Just unscrew the nut, stick on your ground wire and replace the nut.
Thanks!
Old 03-25-2012, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Mickelin,

Very cool that you'll be able to access server library on the road.

Who is your mobile provider?

How much do you pay for data? *ie. part of bundle/family plan?*
Old 03-25-2012, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm in Sweden, so the operators and plans probably don't mean much to you. But typically a 3G flat rate plan here runs at the equivalent of $30-35 a month, the 4G plans at $40-45.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Looks good! Thanks for the "how to" on everything; definitely something I'm considering, this, or the all-in-one option as I'd really like to wake this system up a little.

FWIW, I reached out to Bose with an inquiry as to what (if any) components (theirs, of course) could be swapped to increase performance. One would think an upgraded amp or speakers may do the trick without interfering with the interface built into the MMI. They're response was as expected:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Bose Automotive Music System in your 2013 Audi A6. In answer to your question, Bose Corporation does not offer add on components and we also do not recommend adding any after market components to the factory installed systems, they are not compatible and typically will degrade the sound quality of the system.

Also, I will enter your feedback into our Consumer Feedback Database that is reviewed by our Marketing and Engineering Teams.Thank you for contacting Bose Corporation."

Perhaps if enough people gave them this kind of feedback we may see something come available......not. {sigh}
Old 04-30-2013, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by owdidave
Looks good! Thanks for the "how to" on everything; definitely something I'm considering, this, or the all-in-one option as I'd really like to wake this system up a little.

If you enjoy music, I highly recommend that you do this simple upgrade asap. I added the same exact JL Audio sub on my A7 (along with a JL Audio XD300/1 sub amp, and an Audio Control LC2i). The improvement was amazing. Total cost from a custom audio shop was around $800.

The JL Audio sub takes up very little trunk space, stays put, sounds fantastic - and can easily be removed. Highly recommended.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2846037
Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the detailed write up!

I have never installed aftermarket stereo equipment, so please excuse my ignorance. Once you adjust the frequency and bass boost on the amp the way you like it, do you just leave it alone. Does it sound good for all sources, types of music and listening volumes? Is the stock bose sub still functional?

Quick Reply: Adding sub and amp to Bose system