Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

After 3 Months and 1500 miles...The brakes on my CPO 2013 A6 need replaced.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After 3 Months and 1500 miles...The brakes on my CPO 2013 A6 need replaced.

I bought a CPO 2013 A6 on March 29th from International Auto Audi of Milwaukee. In the 3 months I have had the car I have only put on 1500 miles including the 300 miles I drove it home from the dealership. The car had only 31,xxx miles on it at the time of purchase.

The front brakes started grinding and the service brake light came on a few weeks ago. I took it to my local Audi dealership in Naperville this past weekend and was informed that the front and back brakes are shot and need replaced. I explained to them that I had just bought the car from a dealership 3 hours away and I have only put 1500 miles on it. I showed them the CPO checklist stating that there was 5MM left on the front brakes. I was told that is the very minimum they have to be for a CPO. Also, the lug nuts on the car are in bad shape and aren't even the lug nuts that are supposed to be on the car.

I called my salesman and he told me he was no longer at the dealership and told me to call the service manager. The service consultant in Naperville reached out to him on Tuesday morning and he was told they weren't going to fix anything. So, I have been trying to reach the service manager myself for 3 days now and I have only received this email back from him a couple days ago.

Good afternoon,
When your vehicle was inspected for CPO the brake material remaining was at 5mm, which is above the qualification of CPO. Brakes may wear differently depending on the vehicle is driven.
The lug nuts on the vehicle are functional, if there were not the wheel would not spin and make contact with the backing plate. If you would like for us to address the issues on your vehicle we would need to perform the service here.

Sounds to me like he is saying its my fault because I drive the car like a maniac. The car is basically a garage ornament. It doesn't even get driven unless its a nice sunny day outside. It hasn't seen rain since I've had it. I could go on and on, but lets just say the car is treated like a baby.

I emailed him back and told him I guarantee its not the way I drive the car and I would be willing to drive the 3 hours back to the dealership IF they were going to fix the brakes. Since then I have tried contacting him and the sales manager with no luck. They won't call me back or even reply to any emails.

What do you guys think should be my next move?
Old 06-30-2016, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The lug nut on the right is what is on my car and the one on the left is what I was told should be on there.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Once pads get below 5mm, it gets more diffcult for them to dissipate heat which can accelerate wear. The pad sensors are designed to trigger a warning at 3mm on either axle so you have at least one pad that hit the 3mm. If the rotors still have some decent thickness, you can just replace the pads which, if you go with one of the good aftermarket brands, are not expensive.

The challenge here is it's the sales dept's nickel when it comes to an issue on a purchased car. The service dept. is a separate profit center and they will resist this kind of thing since they can't be reimbursed unless the sales dept. is willing to do so. You should be talking to the sales or general manager, not the service manager. The distance to the selling dealer adds complexity but you probably have no other recourse but to take it back to them if there can be any resolution.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Once pads get below 5mm, it gets more diffcult for them to dissipate heat which can accelerate wear. The pad sensors are designed to trigger a warning at 3mm on either axle so you have at least one pad that hit the 3mm. If the rotors still have some decent thickness, you can just replace the pads which, if you go with one of the good aftermarket brands, are not expensive.

The challenge here is it's the sales dept's nickel when it comes to an issue on a purchased car. The service dept. is a separate profit center and they will resist this kind of thing since they can't be reimbursed unless the sales dept. is willing to do so. You should be talking to the sales or general manager, not the service manager. The distance to the selling dealer adds complexity but you probably have no other recourse but to take it back to them if there can be any resolution.
I haven't received any word back from the sales manager or general manager. According to Audi in Naperville.... All four pads and rotors need replaced.

I would be willing to take the car back up there if they agree to fix it.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Well, expecting them to foot the bill to replace with new brakes on a used car would probably be unrealistic. If they were willing to share in the expense, IMO that would be a win.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by T2586
The lug nut on the right is what is on my car and the one on the left is what I was told should be on there.

If you have OEM wheels, you should have the ball seat lug on the left. If you have aftermarket wheels, chances are that the cone seat on the right is required.

The wrong lug will lead to loose wheels because of lack of contact, possibly damage to the wheel lug wells.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tenspeed
If you have OEM wheels, you should have the ball seat lug on the left. If you have aftermarket wheels, chances are that the cone seat on the right is required.

The wrong lug will lead to loose wheels because of lack of contact, possibly damage to the wheel lug wells.
OEM wheels
Old 06-30-2016, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If International Auto Audi of Milwaukee continue to dodge your calls, escalate it to Audi USA's customer service and get them to rattle Audi of Milwaukee's cage. It is best to write a letter describing your car's issues, include photos, and statements from Audi Naperville. I have a good hunch that the brake pads were already a tad bit below 5mm worn when your car was CPO'd. How could someone go through 2mm of pad thickness in just 1500 miles? That seems to be too fast.

That rusty wheel bolt is definitely not OEM. Having Audi of Milwaukee's service manager tell you that, 'it is functional', is not doing their due diligence to ensure their buying customer's safety. Yes, it may be functional. But, it is definitely not safe and goes beyond Audi corporate standards and good practices. If the dealership is willing to risk their customer running into a bad accident over a $5 wheel bolt, they need to be reported to Audi USA for being careless and cheap.

Last edited by plat27265; 06-30-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by plat27265
If International Auto Audi of Milwaukee continue to dodge your calls, escalate it to Audi USA's customer service and get them to rattle Audi of Milwaukee's cage. It is best to write a letter describing your car's issues, include photos, and statements from Audi Naperville. I have a good hunch that the brake pads were already a tad bit below 5mm worn when your car was CPO'd. How could someone go through 2mm of pad thickness in just 1500 miles? That seems to be too fast.

That rusty wheel bolt is definitely not OEM. Having Audi of Milwaukee's service manager tell you that, 'it is functional', is doing their due diligence to ensure their buying customer's safety. Yes, it may be functional. But, it is definitely not safe and goes beyond Audi corporate standards and good practices. If the dealership is willing to risk their customer running into a bad accident over a $5 wheel bolt, they need to be reported to Audi USA for being careless and cheap.
Thats exactly how I feel too. There was an issue with the paint on the back bumper that I noticed a couple days after I bought it and washed it for the first time. I called my salesman sent him pictures and he called back a couple days later saying that they were willing to have the bumper repainted if I took it back to them. I didn't really have the time to take it all the way back up there and everything else. So, I ended up just paying to have it done.

If I don't hear back from the GM tomorrow I will call AOA.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: After 3 Months and 1500 miles...The brakes on my CPO 2013 A6 need replaced.