Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Another S4 vs A6 thread.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another S4 vs A6 thread.

October 2014 I need to change vehicles.

I keep going back and forth between 2013/14/15 S4 with a manual transmission and a 2012/13/14 A6 3.0.

There is NO WAY I'd own an S4 with an auto (even though by all accounts it's an excellent transmission) but if I end up going the pre-owned route it is very unlikley that I will find an S4 with a 6MT that is not in a colour that turns my stomach (like white which for some reason is super popular in North America)

Well if I have to go auto then I may as well go A6 as a full-on highway cruiser. I'd have to get an ECU upgrade to bring it up to the S4 in terms of acceleration but I do a lot of long drives so the softer ride may be a good compromise.

The other option is of course to order a new S4 exactly the way I want it, but paying an extra 9 grand for the privilege of breaking the car's cherry conflicts with my frugal upbringing.

I have plenty of time to mull it over and change my mind but any advice would be accepted with gratitude.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:52 PM
Banned

Isn't there a new A4 body for 2015? That would make the S4 look old, especially in the interior.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:42 PM
Banned

The S4 "Automatic" is a twin clutch. Its superior to the 6M in every possible way. Why would you not want that? I truly cannot fathom why, in this day and age, ANYBODY, would bother with a clutch and stick. Slower, worse economy, more work. Why?
Old 01-22-2014, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I came from a 2013 S4 and just traded it for a 14 A6 a few weeks ago.

I agree with the previous post, the 7 Speed DSG is just a phenomenal transmission and flat out destroys any manual. Shifts are lightning quick (quicker than a manual and I don't care how good you are) when your running and smooth when you are cruising. I would venture to say its one of the best shifters on the market today at any price range.

I think you just have to ask yourself 1)where to you drive most often and 2) what is your driving style.

I loved the S4, and thought it was a great sport sedan, but I found it tiring on the highway as it had a bit too much wind and road noise. Around town I loved throwing it around corners and for quick acceleration, but 90% of my driving is on interstate (I live in dallas in a community that is right off the interstate and work right off the interstate as well), so I never really got to experience that type of driving all that much. I live and work in the suburbs of a dense metro area, and its all families so speeding just isn't tolerated at all - there are police everywhere just dying to catch an S4 at 10 mph over. The S4 just begs to be driven hard, so the temptation was always there!

That being the case the A6 was a better fit for me, the S4 was a better car 10% of the time and the A6 was a better car 90% of the time. On the interstate commute, it just flat out glides and is a very smooth highway cruiser. Note though, that I actually chose the 2.0T on my A6 over the 3.0, and even coming from the S4 I am still satisfied with it. Its a highly underrated engine on both power and torque.

They are both exceptional cars, built for different purposes. That being the case, I think the A8 platform is growing a bit old on the interior design and I think the new one due out soon (s4 will likely follow 1 year after) will be pretty nice.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by josh Prieur
I actually chose the 2.0T on my A6 over the 3.0, and even coming from the S4 I am still satisfied with it. Its a highly underrated engine on both power and torque.
I am pleased to read your comments on the 2.0. I have a 2013 A6 P+ with the 2.0 and Quattro and love it. I got this car after two years of a 2010 A6 P+ with the supercharged 3.0 and find the 2.0 very well suited to this car - maybe the 8-speed Tiptronic has a lot to do with it. At times I am surprised at how smoothly and seamlessly it steps out – really! Yet, when I post here about it or talk to others I meet they scoff and can’t believe a four cylinder makes any sense in a big car like the A6. I have a couple of friends with C7 A6’s with the 3.0 6 and their cars do not feel as nimble as mine with the 2.0 – another thing I like about the 2.0 version.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

I appreciate the technical superiority of the S4's Dual Clutch transmission as well as the added acceleration.

But if I have to explain why I want a manual then it's probably something you wouldn't understand

As for the 2.0T being more nimble than the supercharged V6. Never heard THAT before, but after years in an APR chipped 1.8T I'm done with 4 bangers. Some people considered the 1.8T "quick" with some light mods, personally I thought it was a dog and can't see a few extra ponies putting the 2.0T in a different class all together.

I know the 2.0T is super versatile, but I told myself that my next Audi would not sacrifice speed for frugality (like I had no choice to do with my previous one)
Old 01-22-2014, 03:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Zatoichi

But if I have to explain why I want a manual then it's probably something you wouldn't understand
We understand just fine. Some people just need to live in the past, and have their antiquated transmission.

Even professional racers will admit that they're obsolete, but there are those few of you who just won't move into the new millennium.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

LOL, this is a new one. Someone belittling someone else on an internet forum for driving a MANUAL transmission. Usually it's the other way around. Were you the victim of such shaming? Have a chip on your shoulder?

Tell you what, how about I don't belittle you for choosing to drive an automatic and you leave me in peace to my manual? Fair compromise I think.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:16 PM
Banned

LOL, this is a new one. Someone belittling someone else on an internet forum for driving a MANUAL transmission. Usually it's the other way around. Were you the victim of such shaming? Have a chip on your shoulder?

Tell you what, how about I don't belittle you for choosing to drive an automatic and you leave me in peace to my manual? Fair compromise I think.
I've gotten the belittling. And now automatics are so far superior, that I can give it back. Thats why none of the exotics even offer manuals any more, and 94% of new cars sold in the US are automatic. Manuals are just so outdated that they're completely obsolete in 2014.

You want to buy one, thats your problem. Just know that people who bought the twin clutch are gonna be quicker than you, get better economy than you, have a higher resale value than you, have an easier time selling than you, and have a better drivers car than you.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well I think the overall point was that you were willing to accept a far more inferior automatic in the A6.

Just out of curiosity have you driven a S-tronic transmission?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another S4 vs A6 thread.