Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Anyone know how to erase entire phone memory on the MMI?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone know how to erase entire phone memory on the MMI?

I have replaced two phones and am on my third. The problem is that each phone, when paired, stores all my contacts. That's all fine, in general, but now, on my third phone, it will only store about 1100 contact because the memory is full, for some reason, the MMI system has kept the contact from the other two phones.

I can erase my current directly but that doesn't free up any of the other space. Anyone have a fix?

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2012, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The manual gives the process for clearing the MMI memory. I can't recall it at the moment, but it's there. There are 4, if memory serves, for phones and not sure what else other than the jukebox.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by WannaS6
I have replaced two phones and am on my third. The problem is that each phone, when paired, stores all my contacts. That's all fine, in general, but now, on my third phone, it will only store about 1100 contact because the memory is full, for some reason, the MMI system has kept the contact from the other two phones.

I can erase my current directly but that doesn't free up any of the other space. Anyone have a fix?

Thanks!
So your phone is copying mmi contacts and adding them to the phone? What phone is it?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!
My recent experience was that it can't be done. The dealer even wiped the MMI and the phone books remained. When you try to add another phone after the fourth it will warn that you must override an existing one.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

dealer did this for me, look under restore defaults, check phone only.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did the restore defaults but it doesn't do anything. There's no way to "activate" restore defaults. You put a little check in the box by telephone, and then ... nothing. There's no enter button and it isn't just getting out of that screen. It just doesn't do anything. I'll stop at the dealer, thanks all for trying to help. I'll also check the manual but I'm guessing that'll be useless. BMW is looking better and better
Old 12-18-2012, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

No, the MMI imports my contacts from my phone, because I have an iPhone the car can do this. That's how you search your phone via voice commands. The issue is that it's done this for 2 previous phones and even when you delete the previous phones from your bluetooth connection, the old memory from those contacts remain. They are not deleted and I can't manually delete them and they're taking up too much space in the memory.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No, the MMI imports my contacts from my phone, because I have an iPhone the car can do this. That's how you search your phone via voice commands. The issue is that it's done this for 2 previous phones and even when you delete the previous phones from your bluetooth connection, the old memory from those contacts remain. They are not deleted and I can't manually delete them and they're taking up too much space in the memory.
I'm having a similar issue. It duplicated entries..and won't let me delete the copies. it becomes a problem when using the voice commands and 6 numbers come up for a person but doesn't show you which one has the correct # attached. I also tried manually deleting the extra numbers from the MMI but was unable to do so. Please let us know if you get a solution to this.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 178 Likes on 158 Posts

Had a play and on the EU SD Card MMI system (as opposed to NA and/or the HDD based system) when the directory is being displayed you can press the Settings option and then select "Delete all private contacts" and then press confirm at the prompt. This only deletes them from the car and not from any connected phone (in my case iPhone 4). In Audi terminology "Private Contacts" are those on your phone and "Public Contacts" are those where you have stored a navigation destination in the car and it is thus available to all drivers. Public Contacts are deleted via the factory reset option, which having selected the items you wish to reset you need to further turn the MMI control until you get to the Yes which you then need to select

Hope this helps
Old 12-18-2012, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did the restore defaults but it doesn't do anything. There's no way to "activate" restore defaults. You put a little check in the box by telephone, and then ... nothing. There's no enter button and it isn't just getting out of that screen. It just doesn't do anything. I'll stop at the dealer, thanks all for trying to help. I'll also check the manual but I'm guessing that'll be useless. BMW is looking better and better
sorry its directory and not telephone.
place a check in directory and then scroll down to the bottom and select restore default.

Quick Reply: Anyone know how to erase entire phone memory on the MMI?