Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Yet again another problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 01:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yet again another problem

A couple of days ago I noticed my car's fan (that cools engine) was working very hard after I turned off the engine, which was very unusual for me to see. I didnt pay too much attention. Today I was driving on freeway and I saw my coolant temp was max. I pulled over right away to check coolant but everything seemed normal, no leaks, coolant level ok, no smell etc. Fan was working hard again. So let it cool down and tried again to drive and yet again temp rises and fault signal comes up on the screen. I will definitely take it to a dealer on monday but I am really confused as what could be wrong with a car. Any ideas?
Old 09-29-2013, 02:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the thermostats in the 2011's are a known failure issue.....fortunately for me I was only stranded 2 blocks from work. They came and picked it up and replaced.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

I really wish it is not smth serious. So much for an improved Audi reliability.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Trian
I know the thermostats in the 2011's are a known failure issue.....fortunately for me I was only stranded 2 blocks from work. They came and picked it up and replaced.
So you were right. The overheating on my C7 was due to a failed thermostat. They are replacing now.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is this a common issue on the 2012 models?
Old 10-01-2013, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PunjabiM3
Is this a common issue on the 2012 models?
It doesnt seem to be common. My SA got surprised about overheating. My C7 has around 45K miles and it could be one of very few C7s with such a high mileage. I believe whether it can be a common problem remains to be seen as more and more C7s will be getting out warranty as most of these failure tend to happen after 50K miles.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by salvadorik
It doesnt seem to be common. My SA got surprised about overheating. My C7 has around 45K miles and it could be one of very few C7s with such a high mileage. I believe whether it can be a common problem remains to be seen as more and more C7s will be getting out warranty as most of these failure tend to happen after 50K miles.
Do you know how much labor was involved in the replacement? My trusty old A4 required a bunch of labor to replace the thermostat, such that I wound up consolidating one big service appt to replace the water pump, timing belt, and thermostat all in one shot.

Im not so concerned when its a warranty replace, but if this were to happen out of warranty Im concerned about the overall cost.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MileHighJC
Do you know how much labor was involved in the replacement? My trusty old A4 required a bunch of labor to replace the thermostat, such that I wound up consolidating one big service appt to replace the water pump, timing belt, and thermostat all in one shot.

Im not so concerned when its a warranty replace, but if this were to happen out of warranty Im concerned about the overall cost.
Your concern is undisputedly valid as it seems it is quite a work to replace a thermostat. And replacing other components such as water pump etc. all at once sounds like a proper thing to do. But I heard that C7s have upgraded water pumps coming from the factory that are not plastic anymore so they should last long. As far as the timing belt, I believe there is no need for that as well cause 3.0 engine has the chain (not belt) that should also last for the life of the vehicle. Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

I did not get my car back. It has been in a shop since Monday. They are waiting for a part to arrive. As soon as I get my car back, I will ask SA about the labor and perhaps the cost associated with it. Obviously it will be covered by the warranty but I am curious myself to find out the cost.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by salvadorik
Your concern is undisputedly valid as it seems it is quite a work to replace a thermostat. And replacing other components such as water pump etc. all at once sounds like a proper thing to do. But I heard that C7s have upgraded water pumps coming from the factory that are not plastic anymore so they should last long. As far as the timing belt, I believe there is no need for that as well cause 3.0 engine has the chain (not belt) that should also last for the life of the vehicle. Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

I did not get my car back. It has been in a shop since Monday. They are waiting for a part to arrive. As soon as I get my car back, I will ask SA about the labor and perhaps the cost associated with it. Obviously it will be covered by the warranty but I am curious myself to find out the cost.
You are correct about the timing chain and water pump... I was just curious if the C7 required a lot of labor to replace the thermostat. With the A4, it required removing the bumper, and a lot of other stuff to get to it. Just don't know if the C7 is a any more "friendly".
Old 10-03-2013, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHighJC
You are correct about the timing chain and water pump... I was just curious if the C7 required a lot of labor to replace the thermostat. With the A4, it required removing the bumper, and a lot of other stuff to get to it. Just don't know if the C7 is a any more "friendly".
JC, if the thermostat is not difficult to reach, I'm sure there's lot of other stuff that will be.

Quick Reply: Yet again another problem