Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Apple announces "CarPlay" for 2014 but not for Audi

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Apple announces "CarPlay" for 2014 but not for Audi

Looks like Apple has today announced that "vehicles from Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo will introduce CarPlay-enabled infotainment systems in selected models in 2014. Other auto manufacturers planning to offer CarPlay-enabled systems include BMW Group, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai Motor Company, Jaguar Land Rover, Kia Motors, Mitsubishi Motors, Nissan Motor Company, PSA Peugeot Citroën, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota". Initially, it will work via the Lightning connector but it's planned to evolve to wireless soon after introduction.

It's unfortunate (and surprising considering Audi's partnership history with Apple) that Audi has decided to align only with Google/Android's in car system. IMO, while the Android system will appeal to a large segment of the market, it will be disappointing to many Audi owners for them to ignore the huge iPhone user base, especially since I've read that Apple's CarPlay will be able to ride on top of other systems.

http://www.twice.com/articletype/new...systems/110161
Old 03-03-2014, 07:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huge mistake on their part. Its going to cost them tons of customers. If they want to play with the big boys on the high end, they need to support the high end devices. The iPhone is the high end device. I mean, come on, if they'd have bothered to check demographics, I'd bet the iPhone has the millionaire cell phone market locked up. Nobody wants to be seen with an Android device.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mike_L
Huge mistake on their part. Its going to cost them tons of customers. If they want to play with the big boys on the high end, they need to support the high end devices. The iPhone is the high end device. I mean, come on, if they'd have bothered to check demographics, I'd bet the iPhone has the millionaire cell phone market locked up. Nobody wants to be seen with an Android device.
I truly hope the thread doesn't devolve into an Apple vs. Android argument (there are high-end Android devices available as well as the low end where Apple doesn't play) but at the same time, I completely agree that Audi would be ignoring the huge segment of Apple owners that represent an upscale demo that matches Audi's focus. If it's true that CarPlay can be implemented in addition to whatever other in car system is employed, why ignore it? Is Google requiring exclusivity?
Old 03-03-2014, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's a cost-based decision that lacks vision and insight into their market. VW group has a track record of doing things cheap to save money. The fact that they install a Bose in high end cars is a good example that almost cost them my business. I love my A6 TDI but it will be my last Audi if Audi doesn't embrace Apple carOS pronto.

It's already been said, the Apple system is high-end. There's nothing wrong with high end Google/Android systems. I rather like the system in the Audi, but the installed user base of iPhones is too big to ignore and continues to grow in market share.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't understand this. In my opinion, this is exactly how it should work. Some overlay that allows the base MMI to use the information off the driver's smartphone whether it is android or apple. I own an android but I still want my car to have the same full functionality with my wife's iPhone when she drives my car. There is just no reason to go all in with only one.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
I don't understand this. In my opinion, this is exactly how it should work. Some overlay that allows the base MMI to use the information off the driver's smartphone whether it is android or apple. I own an android but I still want my car to have the same full functionality with my wife's iPhone when she drives my car. There is just no reason to go all in with only one.
Well, it's possible we might be premature in condemning Audi. If the CarPlay can be added as an overlay to the new Android or current MMI system, perhaps Audi will yet do so in the future. It's probably too early to definitely know what their end game is here. I'm not even sure Audi can implement the full Android system in time for MY2015 this year. Some manf., like Honda and GM, appear to have announced they will support both systems. This could mean they plan to have both available in the same car or Android in some models and CarPlay in others. In any case, I hope Audi is not revealing the full story yet and will not abandon the hundreds of thousands of future iPhone/Audi potential owners.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Kudos to Audi for not buying into the overpriced Apple crap

Had to say that for all the Apple zealots out there

That said, android is the dominant mobile operating system worldwide with nearly 70% market share while Apple has about 20%. So the decision makes sense if you have to choose one or the other
Old 03-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61
Kudos to Audi for not buying into the overpriced Apple crap Had to say that for all the Apple zealots out there That said, android is the dominant mobile operating system worldwide with nearly 70% market share while Apple has about 20%. So the decision makes sense if you have to choose one or the other
Mmm I have an iphone 5s
I thought you were my friend mmmm
Old 03-03-2014, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by feralc
Mmm I have an iphone 5s
I thought you were my friend mmmm
Hey, everyone makes mistakes. Next time you can do the right thing, save money, get better functionality and get an Android phone

But seriously, just looking it from Audi's perspective, IF you have to choose one or the other, it makes sense to choose the system with nearly 70% marketshare worldwide

IF down the road it is proven that one can live with the other, then I could see why Audi may want to add that as an option

Last edited by Maverick61; 03-03-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AudioBear
I love my A6 TDI but it will be my last Audi if Audi doesn't embrace Apple carOS pronto.
That is most likely the least intelligent statement I have ever read regarding why not to buy an excellent automobile. Egad.

Quick Reply: Apple announces "CarPlay" for 2014 but not for Audi