Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Apple announces "CarPlay" for 2014 but not for Audi

Old 03-04-2014, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lmbatts
Just couldnt sit out this thread although I tried.
Here is the skinny as someone already pointed out. Google integration. Audi has the best google integration of any car manufacturer so it went all in with google and based upon the technological advances Audi has been putting in their cars it is the right choice.
And for my American friends; we just ain't that important. IPhone is a status symbol in the US but not in Europe and China where Audi sells more cars by volume. Andriods are not considered cheap or down market in Europe. So while the 70 percent of smart phones use Android worldwide I would estimate the percentage of users outside the US using android is higher than 70 percent. A lot higher.

But the real key to it is "open source" and RSAP.
Open source allows Audi to design a flexible system but also control the updates. Audi is very territorial about its head unit software as most of us requiring updates know.
RSAP. The world knows it; the US doesn't. Its the protocol that comes native on the majority of android devices that allows you to pair your phones SIM through Bluetooth without a data contract. In the ROW audiconnect users don't have to go through the hassle that Americans do the get data to their head unit. Apple doesn't support rsap. They support getting into your car and charging u to connect to the internet. Say hi to your new T-Mobile or data provider. Its coming to a car near u.
The car companies that are early adopters to carplay are desperate for US sales; aka BMW so they adopt US boutique phone carrier. If the iPhone was a bigger player in China or Europe Audi might have cared more. Finally since Audi is part of the VWAG expect slow apple adoption in porche, vw, lambos, seat, scooda etc...
imbatts - thanks, you articulated this better than I have.

And a few things to note:

1. What Apple has done really well is marketing their products in the US, making it hard for people to switch and somehow convincing them to upgrade often to the newest version. Great business strategy but to me it relies on that old PT Barnum saying about a sucker born every minute. They have been unsuccessful doing this in the rest of the world.

2. There are high end Android phones in the US. And contrary to what some of the Apple brethren say, there are low end Apple phones in the US. What Apple has done to try and reach the low end market is continue to sell older generation phones at deep discounts - directly targeting the low end market. So it is a myth that Apple has no low end phones just as it is a myth that Android is considered down market.

But as you note - the key is open source which provides car manufacturers like Audi much more flexibility and control over their vehicles and does not force them to be beholden to Apple's whims and fees
Old 03-04-2014, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
My understanding is that CarPlay will be focused on Siri voice control much like current iDevices allowing for mostly hands-free operation.
That was my initial impression as well.
Apparently while all the press is focused on the touch aspect, it has multiple options:

https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

I agree with the others that Audi should be device agnostic.
Am frankly not excited about drivers having additional possible distractions of texts, FaceTube, Tweeter, etc, no matter what system is used.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61
So you want it rolled into the cost for everyone. Hmmmm.
I think you will be disappointed. From what I have read, when Airplay comes out on a very small number of vehicles from Ferrari, Mercedes Benz and Volvo, it will be offered as an option. Which IMO is how it should be. if you want it, you pay for it.

Oh, and CarPlay requires special, bespoke equipment supporting Apple’s iPhone to be fitted into cars, which means that car manufacturers will have to build it in at the factory. And it is not compatible with anything less than an iphone 5. So just one more way for Apple to suck you dry into upgrading each year
As I wrote in my post that you responded to, we already pay for things that Audi includes that many don't use, i.e. Sirius and HD radio. I also wrote that offering either system as an option would be a good alternative.

I'm already disappointed that Audi has not announced what, if any, plans they may have for continuing to support iOS. You don't like Apple. We get that. But apparently 500M+ others do. Some portion of those same people may just look elsewhere if Audi ignores them.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am an Apple fanboy, I run iPads and iPhones and iPods, MacBooks, Minis, AppleTVs, I have Airplay all over my house. I am pretty sure I will never buy a Windows machine again. My wife has a Galaxy S (iPhone wasn't available on her preferred carrier) and we both think it kind of sucks.

I have also only driven Audis in the past 15 years or so (I think I am on number 4 now).

This decision puts me in quite a spot. In some ways I don't want my car to tie me to Apple, even though I am pretty bought in. A Car is a huge investment and the thought that I would need to tie my phone purchase to my car purchase seems wrong.

On the other hand, in my opinion Apple does almost everything better than anyone else, and if there is going to be an awesome interface in my car it will probably come from Apple...

My personal opinion is there needs to be an open Car API that any phone can communicate with. The car API provides access to a dumbish screen and any telemetrics available. The API would also give the phone access to car settings and systems.

You step in your car with your phone of choice and the screen lights up, completely driven by the phone. The phone stays in your pocket but the brains of the car interface are all on the phone. The car provides a big screen and the API to all the functionality. Now that would be cool.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:56 AM
Former Vendor

This is nothing but a fancy named implementation of the QNX/BlackBerry in car platform. Audi already utilized QNX software quite heavily in the MMI, so I don't see why they would not support this even thought their name was missing from the list of manufacturers on the press release.

http://business.financialpost.com/20..._lsa=5d10-efad
Old 03-04-2014, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

A good video about how a non-touch interface would work with carPlay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3_eLgKohHw#t=385
Old 03-04-2014, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

As I wrote in my post that you responded to, we already pay for things that Audi includes that many don't use, i.e. Sirius and HD radio. I also wrote that offering either system as an option would be a good alternative.

I'm already disappointed that Audi has not announced what, if any, plans they may have for continuing to support iOS. You don't like Apple. We get that. But apparently 500M+ others do. Some portion of those same people may just look elsewhere if Audi ignores them.
And you love Apple, we get that. But you are making this into far more of an issue than it is. The liklihood is the vast vast majority of people choosing a car do not do so because of the OS it uses. And you continue to ignore the business advantages to Audi of using an open system.

It is not like you and your iphone are going to be cutoff. You can still make and receive calls via bluetooth, and have some other functionalty. But you may have to use the NAVI's maps or google maps (which even Apple devotees acknowledge are better) or you may have to use the MMI jukebox, SD card, or the MMI interface to play your music - oh the horrors.

It really is no big deal to most people
Old 03-04-2014, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My understanding is that CarPlay will be focused on Siri voice control much like current iDevices allowing for mostly hands-free operation.
CarPlay will work with Siri based on this article from Sound & Vision.

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...play-hits-road
Old 03-04-2014, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61
And you love Apple, we get that. But you are making this into far more of an issue than it is. The liklihood is the vast vast majority of people choosing a car do not do so because of the OS it uses. And you continue to ignore the business advantages to Audi of using an open system.

It is not like you and your iphone are going to be cutoff. You can still make and receive calls via bluetooth, and have some other functionalty. But you may have to use the NAVI's maps or google maps (which even Apple devotees acknowledge are better) or you may have to use the MMI jukebox, SD card, or the MMI interface to play your music - oh the horrors.

It really is no big deal to most people
Ok, I'm going to respond one last time to your comments even though I'm somewhat violating my own wish that the thread didn't turn into an iOS vs. Android discussion.

Firstly, just about all the opinions in your last response are just that - opinions. We all have them. That's ok but no one has any idea how many people will choose a car based in its support of a particular advanced in-car OS. These more completely integrated systems are just now coming into the market. One only has to read through the multitude of MMI threads (something I do regularly as a moderator) to see there are quite a few Audi owner techies out there. I'm sure at some point, someone will put out some research on this in the future but for now it's all conjecture based upon what we know or think we know about marketing.

There is no information announced yet on what Audi will or won't support re iOS in the future. For those already invested in iOS, there is reason for concern for future new and repeat Audi buyers based on the current info available. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that feels it's an important consideration on the utility and enjoyment of the infotainment systems to come.

As to an "open" or "closed" system, (the war cry of Apple antagonists for years), I have a hard time believing Android in the car will be more "open" as evidenced by the limitation to the Android OS. Not really too much different from iOS other than you can choose which brand of Android phone you like. Great.

As to your previous comment re Apple forcing people to upgrade to their devices, (assuming one is feeling forced at all), I don't see much difference to Samsung or any other Android manf. coming out with the latest and greatest phone one or two times a year. Again, other than you can select a different brand of phone each time you upgrade - with essentially the same Andoid operation beyond cosmetic GUI variables. As to Apple controlling their ecosystem, I won't go into the benefits of standardizing a quality experience here. You can Google away on that one with no end to the arguments either way.

Finally, to sum up the differences in our tone of posts, while we both have our OS preferences and might even agree on Audi offering either system as an option, where we diverge is I don't denigrate Android but advocate a position of inclusion to either one.

I've now expended my enthusiasm for the subject so please go ahead and have the last word. I'm ok with that.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

All of this is no big deal to me. I tend to keep my phone separate from my car system. My Audi allows my wife and son to use their iPads in the car via the hot spot. I want less temptation not more to be using a device for surfing the net, tweeting facebooking and all that other stuff.

I'm a retiree of the largest computer/technology company in the world. I can get their stuff really cheap yet I choose to use Apple products instead for a lot of reasons.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Apple announces "CarPlay" for 2014 but not for Audi