Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Aspherical mirror Mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Aspherical mirror Mod

Added Rest of World (ROW) Aspehrical driver side mirror.
WOW... what a difference. It's like a side mirror on steroids! I can now see behind me as well as blind-spot all in one glimpse.

It's a little disorienting at first since I'm so used to previous mirror image... so it will take a few days to get used to this new mirror view. I took multiple photos to try and get as close to same shot/angle as possible for the before and after shots...to show difference in both mirrors. Sorry did best I could. Doesn't look like much of a difference but in person it's a MAJOR difference.

Pic 1. Before
Pic 2. After
Attached Images   
Old 01-30-2016, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still tinted mirror glass, right? How much was it and where did you source it? I had one on my GTI and when I got my A6 I looked into getting one as well... but not for the $400 price tag I found
Old 01-30-2016, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes all the connections for heated mirror and dimming are there. This mod was truthfully a byproduct of my top view retrofit project.

I purchased entire mirror assemblies with cameras for my top view retrofit from outside US. These units obviously had ROW mirrors which I had NO IDEA were different. So after a little investigating wondering WHY the glass had this hideous vertical dashed line on it's far left side... I found out this was an aspherical mirror. A great option not available in USA.

So hopefully a search can be done for Audi Aspehrical mirrors on ebay sites outside of USA for anybody else interested in this mod.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by McFuzz
Still tinted mirror glass, right? How much was it and where did you source it? I had one on my GTI and when I got my A6 I looked into getting one as well... but not for the $400 price tag I found
http://europrice.us/mirror-glass-asp...blind-spot-804

Cheap with regular glass but auto dimming is steep...
Old 01-31-2016, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

This is a great mod and I have thought about doing it for years, it just makes sense. There has always been the discussion of the proper setting for the drivers side mirror: I like a reference point so I set it to see the door handle. The purists set it farther out so that you cannot see directly behind you that is compensated for by using it in conjunction with the center mirror. The "correct" way involves looking in two mirrors, the alternate setting involves the necessity to look over the shoulder, your implemented solution solves the dilemma.

The convex solution should be designed to eliminate a blind spot to be certified for sale but, again, the "old school" will always say to look over your shoulder as if a mirror could lie.
The Acura RLX, among others, has a different lens on the outside portion of the mirror to eliminate the blind spot - only the outside portion is convex, you may have seen these on trucks and vans.

Great mod and make the most of it, cameras will replace all mirrors soon and they will double as in-car surveillance so the clunky dash-cam will also disappear.

You should really change the inside mirror too so that all "objects will be closer than they appear"

Last edited by DB22; 01-31-2016 at 04:25 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This is another standard outside of the USA I miss from my 2012 A6 that is not offered in my US 2016 model. It really makes a difference.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mjfloyd1
Cheap with regular glass but auto dimming is steep...
Those were listed as fitment for the A7/S7/RS7 C7.
These are for the A6/S6 C7:

Mirror Glass | Aspherical Blind Spot
Old 01-31-2016, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

$1K for mirrors?! Hellll nooooo....
Old 02-01-2016, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by McFuzz
$1K for mirrors?! Hellll nooooo....
It's "only" $524 for both sides...and that's just for the glass.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mjfloyd1
It's "only" $524 for both sides...and that's just for the glass.
Actually it's $524 for one; if you add both left and right sides, its $1,048!

Quick Reply: Aspherical mirror Mod