Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 12:58 AM   #1
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 270778

Default Audi A6 Fuel door issue

Hi All,

I am having an issue with my 2013 A6 3.0 Prestige that I got last November. It is about the fuel door and I am not sure if it is a problem or it is a normal behavior of the car. Basically, the fuel door won't open when the car engine is running. Every time I go to a fuel station, I have to switch the car engine off, lock the car, then unlock it twice using the car remote in order to unlock the fuel door. After unlocking the fuel door, it stays unlocked even if I switch on the car engine, and it stays unlocked until I switch off the car and locked it for a longer period (something like 4 hours or more).

At my last visit to the service center (In January) I have told my Audi service guy about this and he seemed clueless and said that there is not an issue and he asked the service center to only lube the door.

My next service will be at the end of May and I just wanted to see if anyone else faced this issue and how he dealt with it.
Totti808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:20 AM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 22753

I'm pretty sure the engine must be off. I turn off the engine, open the driver door and the filler door is automatically unlocked. Then, it stays unlocked (as with the doors) until the car reaches 9 mph.

Check your Car>Car systems>Vehicle settings>Central locking>Unlock doors. I believe the fuel door is synced to your door lock setting and if set to "All", will auto unlock when the engine is turned off and the driver door is opened. The fuel door may not unlock if set to "Driver" unless the key fob is pressed twice.

- 2013 A6 3.0T Prestige, Quartz Gray/Black, 19" Sport, Driver Assist, LED headlights,Cold Weather and B&O;
Bridgestone RE970AS tires; XPel Ultimate full front, mirrors and rocker panels, Opti-coat Pro
- 2002 allroad 2.7t - 13y/50K mi and still like new
- 2009 A4 3.2 Prestige w/Nav (sold at 4y/48K mi)
- 2001 A6 2.7t (sold at 8y/98K mi)
snagitseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:14 AM   #3
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 273382

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagitseven View Post
I'm pretty sure the engine must be off. I turn off the engine, open the driver door and the filler door is automatically unlocked. Then, it stays unlocked (as with the doors) until the car reaches 9 mph.

Check your Car>Car systems>Vehicle settings>Central locking>Unlock doors. I believe the fuel door is synced to your door lock setting and if set to "All", will auto unlock when the engine is turned off and the driver door is opened. The fuel door may not unlock if set to "Driver" unless the key fob is pressed twice.
I know the engine does not have to be off. I filled up a ton of times this winter and left the vehicle running. I never had a problem opening the fuel door. I would check the vehicle settings like Snagit recommended. But I can confirm that is not normal behavior.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:06 AM   #4
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 22753

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightCrawler View Post
I know the engine does not have to be off. I filled up a ton of times this winter and left the vehicle running. I never had a problem opening the fuel door. I would check the vehicle settings like Snagit recommended. But I can confirm that is not normal behavior.
I guess I assumed the engine had to be off for the fuel door to be unlocked (which I always do) since it's dangerous to refuel while the engine is running (and illegal in some states).

- 2013 A6 3.0T Prestige, Quartz Gray/Black, 19" Sport, Driver Assist, LED headlights,Cold Weather and B&O;
Bridgestone RE970AS tires; XPel Ultimate full front, mirrors and rocker panels, Opti-coat Pro
- 2002 allroad 2.7t - 13y/50K mi and still like new
- 2009 A4 3.2 Prestige w/Nav (sold at 4y/48K mi)
- 2001 A6 2.7t (sold at 8y/98K mi)
snagitseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #5
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 235276

Send a message via AIM to Jatmobil

There is a known issue with the fuel door actuator (it also sometimes goes by the name "throttle control element"). Please refer to the diagram below. The latest revision is "D" making the part number 4L0862153C to 4L0862153D.

The older actuator sometimes "sticks", thus showing the symptoms that you are complaining about. I had the same problem, especially in cold weather. I was out of warranty so just forked over $50 for a new one and changed it myself!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuel filler flap.jpg (30.0 KB, 155 views)
Jatmobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #6
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 194454

I had the same issue with my 2012 A7. The dealer knew exactly what the issue was and replaced some parts. There should be a TSB on the issue. Just tell your dealer they need to find the TSB and get it done.
craignhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:46 AM   #7
Banned
Account #: 267421

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagitseven View Post
I guess I assumed the engine had to be off for the fuel door to be unlocked (which I always do) since it's dangerous to refuel while the engine is running (and illegal in some states).
I think its illegal in all states. If its legal its probably in some dumb redneck state, like Georgia or Texas, where anything goes. Either way, its pure stupidity to leave the engine running while fueling and creates an explosive situation.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 273382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
I think its illegal in all states. If its legal its probably in some dumb redneck state, like Georgia or Texas, where anything goes. Either way, its pure stupidity to leave the engine running while fueling and creates an explosive situation.
Mike if you ever hear of an A6 blowing up in Eastern PA with the car running while fueling you can say I told you so. I've been doing it on those bitter cold winter days for years. I'm more cautious about not using my cell, and not going back in the car while fueling.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #9
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 280657

Quote:
LOL. Just plain dumb.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #10
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 182428

Quote:
Mike if you ever hear of an A6 blowing up in Eastern PA with the car running while fueling you can say I told you so. I've been doing it on those bitter cold winter days for years. I'm more cautious about not using my cell, and not going back in the car while fueling.
Why would you leave the car running? It won't cool off in the couple of minutes it takes to fill up.
2009 911 C4S
2010 S4 Meteor Grey
2006 911 C2S
2006 325i
2000 S2000

NABS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement