Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi A6 Fuel door issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 11:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A6 Fuel door issue

Hi All,

I am having an issue with my 2013 A6 3.0 Prestige that I got last November. It is about the fuel door and I am not sure if it is a problem or it is a normal behavior of the car. Basically, the fuel door won't open when the car engine is running. Every time I go to a fuel station, I have to switch the car engine off, lock the car, then unlock it twice using the car remote in order to unlock the fuel door. After unlocking the fuel door, it stays unlocked even if I switch on the car engine, and it stays unlocked until I switch off the car and locked it for a longer period (something like 4 hours or more).

At my last visit to the service center (In January) I have told my Audi service guy about this and he seemed clueless and said that there is not an issue and he asked the service center to only lube the door.

My next service will be at the end of May and I just wanted to see if anyone else faced this issue and how he dealt with it.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm pretty sure the engine must be off. I turn off the engine, open the driver door and the filler door is automatically unlocked. Then, it stays unlocked (as with the doors) until the car reaches 9 mph.

Check your Car>Car systems>Vehicle settings>Central locking>Unlock doors. I believe the fuel door is synced to your door lock setting and if set to "All", will auto unlock when the engine is turned off and the driver door is opened. The fuel door may not unlock if set to "Driver" unless the key fob is pressed twice.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I'm pretty sure the engine must be off. I turn off the engine, open the driver door and the filler door is automatically unlocked. Then, it stays unlocked (as with the doors) until the car reaches 9 mph.

Check your Car>Car systems>Vehicle settings>Central locking>Unlock doors. I believe the fuel door is synced to your door lock setting and if set to "All", will auto unlock when the engine is turned off and the driver door is opened. The fuel door may not unlock if set to "Driver" unless the key fob is pressed twice.
I know the engine does not have to be off. I filled up a ton of times this winter and left the vehicle running. I never had a problem opening the fuel door. I would check the vehicle settings like Snagit recommended. But I can confirm that is not normal behavior.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by NightCrawler
I know the engine does not have to be off. I filled up a ton of times this winter and left the vehicle running. I never had a problem opening the fuel door. I would check the vehicle settings like Snagit recommended. But I can confirm that is not normal behavior.
I guess I assumed the engine had to be off for the fuel door to be unlocked (which I always do) since it's dangerous to refuel while the engine is running (and illegal in some states).
Old 04-24-2014, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a known issue with the fuel door actuator (it also sometimes goes by the name "throttle control element"). Please refer to the diagram below. The latest revision is "D" making the part number 4L0862153C to 4L0862153D.

The older actuator sometimes "sticks", thus showing the symptoms that you are complaining about. I had the same problem, especially in cold weather. I was out of warranty so just forked over $50 for a new one and changed it myself!
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Joseph Kohler Jr. (12-26-2020)
Old 04-24-2014, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue with my 2012 A7. The dealer knew exactly what the issue was and replaced some parts. There should be a TSB on the issue. Just tell your dealer they need to find the TSB and get it done.
The following users liked this post:
Joseph Kohler Jr. (12-26-2020)
Old 04-24-2014, 07:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I guess I assumed the engine had to be off for the fuel door to be unlocked (which I always do) since it's dangerous to refuel while the engine is running (and illegal in some states).
I think its illegal in all states. If its legal its probably in some dumb redneck state, like Georgia or Texas, where anything goes. Either way, its pure stupidity to leave the engine running while fueling and creates an explosive situation.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike_L
I think its illegal in all states. If its legal its probably in some dumb redneck state, like Georgia or Texas, where anything goes. Either way, its pure stupidity to leave the engine running while fueling and creates an explosive situation.
Mike if you ever hear of an A6 blowing up in Eastern PA with the car running while fueling you can say I told you so. I've been doing it on those bitter cold winter days for years. I'm more cautious about not using my cell, and not going back in the car while fueling.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

LOL. Just plain dumb.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Mike if you ever hear of an A6 blowing up in Eastern PA with the car running while fueling you can say I told you so. I've been doing it on those bitter cold winter days for years. I'm more cautious about not using my cell, and not going back in the car while fueling.
Why would you leave the car running? It won't cool off in the couple of minutes it takes to fill up.

Quick Reply: Audi A6 Fuel door issue