Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi to Buy Back 25,000 3.0-Liter Diesel Models in U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume that Audi operates under its own business group under VW and may have more influence in the final descision as to how they will handle a settlement with our group. If it ends up being a bad deal for us then we should not just roll over and accept it like those 2.0 guys. Audi will need the majority of us to go along with this deal to make it work for them and the government. I suggest we wait and see what is offered and hold acceptance until we all weigh in through this forum which seems to be the most active on this subject.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by r1racer
Trade-in value if your lucky...
I would not be so pessimistic. The government is actually your friend on this matter. They are pissed at VAG and are forcing them to a fair resolution. I have a friend who took the deal on a Jetta. It was a great deal for him.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsC6
I would not be so pessimistic. The government is actually your friend on this matter. They are pissed at VAG and are forcing them to a fair resolution. I have a friend who took the deal on a Jetta. It was a great deal for him.
Yes, they are receiving the "clean" trade-in value for their cars as of the day before the news broke, regardless of actual mileage and condition. That value is locked until the date that the program expires (2 years?). This is a good financial deal for those affected.

I have no expectation as to how this is going to turn out. I really like my car, but if this takes another couple of years to get resolution the timing will probably coincide with needing a new car anyway.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by audi40
The 25k "older generation" vehicles they're referring to must be Q7's since the A6, A7, A8 and Q5 TDI's weren't in the US until 2014. Hopefully the newer generation TDI's will get the option of a fix + compensation or a buyback. If the right buy-back offer is on the table, I'd be very interested in the new S5 Sportback, otherwise I'm perfectly willing and happy to hold onto my A6 for another couple years at least.

I think this post hits the nail on the head. In the CARB rejection note there was gen 1, gen 2 and gen 2.1. I suspect gen 1's at this point get the buyback (VW Touregs- sp? too) and the overall cost on doing that is quite modest. I think they're having some inner monologue about the gen 2's and 2.1's.

From my readings the 2014 A6 TDI is gen 2. I don't know when "gen 2.1" became active.

I do still love the car, but, if they give me a buyback, see ya! I think they've spent enough of everyone's time on it and should just buyback them all. It'll be difficult for us owners to ever sell or recapture normal value in these cars.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi
I do still love the car, but, if they give me a buyback, see ya! I think they've spent enough of everyone's time on it and should just buyback them all. It'll be difficult for us owners to ever sell or recapture normal value in these cars.
This is where I am at, at least at this point.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Will have to wait and see, but really do not want to get rid of my car. Will be really disappointed.

Have always purchased used cars, kept them 10+ years. The A6 is my 5th car, and the first I bought NEW as I could not wait until the 2014 model became 'used'. Right now, nothing on market interests me.

In the event you didn't see Canadian Lurker's post elsewhere in the forum (Stop-sale initiated...), it is interesting to see what the dieselgate investigator thinks of the whole ordeal. (I copied and pasted, so link on bottom may not work.)

West Virginia professor says investigation, lawsuit overblown; says soot from “rolling coal” is “absolutely worse” than NOx emissions....

Dieselgate investigator speaks out on Volkswagen emissions - Motor Trend

Last edited by AMDG75; 10-24-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I am a former Passat TDI SEL Premium owner. VW is set to pay me the "good" NADA value as of September 15th 2015. Adjusted for my very high mileage they are paying me roughly $4000 more than retail is on my car right now. Plus $5000 in restitution, plus the $1000 credit cards they gave us some time ago.

And if you drive less than 1000 miles a month, your car will no longer depreciate. You have 2 years to turn it in.

I purchased a 2014 A6 TDI Prestige 3 days ago. Based on the current NADA value, I decided it was worth the risk to buy the car now.

Last edited by 50pascals; 11-01-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

^A great car indeed but not sure I would have taken that risk. Unless you got an unbelievable deal on that 16' and plan on putting 200k on it. At this point it's way too soon to know how the value is going to be affected once a settlement is reached. Did you at least get a warrantee with it?
Old 10-26-2016, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AMDG75
West Virginia professor says investigation, lawsuit overblown; says soot from “rolling coal” is “absolutely worse” than NOx emissions....
I think that one can always find that something is worse than something else. Coal power plants comes to mind as worse than all of them, but, I think that's a false premise argument to make.

VW/Audi didn't need to certify their diesels against the latest rules. They could have said "nah, too hard", but, instead they did sign the forms. They even went to washington dc at one point to try and get the govt to grant stickers to allow "clean diesel" access to the carpool lane. (I was all for that btw!)

Anyways, if meeting the emissions standards means that the controls are prohibitively expensive then I suppose we should put diesel in the bygone era and move onto newer technology that is overall better.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone know how BMW is able to produce a three liter diesel for their 535d which has essentially the same performance/fuel economy numbers as the A6 TDI without cheating on emissions?

Quick Reply: Audi to Buy Back 25,000 3.0-Liter Diesel Models in U.S.