Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

audi connect

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 09:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audi connect

sorry im a bit new to the audi world.

do you have to sign up with audi for audi connect?

i have a prepaid sim with data plan from us mobile and i put it into my a6 and changed the apn and i can get data and do wifi from the car.

i tried to sign up on audi connects website but it asks for vin and sim number and when i input the sim card number it list it as tmobile but invalid sim.

is there a way to get this working ?

and what are the advantages of having audi connect vs just a pre paid sim ?
Old 06-29-2016, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

If you already have a working SIM, then you don't sign up on myaudiconnect.com. There you would sign up for service with T-Mobile or AT&T, depending on the car, but you already have a working US Mobile SIM. However, using a third-party SIM is not supported by Audi. The Audi connect functionality is not complete without signing up for a myAudi account at https://www.audiusa.com/myaudi#/. With a myAudi account you can send destinations from Google Maps or your phone through the MMI connect app to the car. However, it is my understanding that you cannot sign up for a myAudi account unless you have an official AT&T or T-Mobile subscription. Based on some comments from others, it verifies that you have an official SIM card with service through T-Mobile or AT&T. One way around the issue is to sign up for T-Mobile's month-to-month plan, create the myAudi account and then cancel the T-Mobile subscription and continue with your US mobile SIM. Once the myAudi account has been created it continues to work even if you use a third-party SIM.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

The only advantage to having an official myAudi account and sim is the Send to Car feature. If you can live without that and you are getting the other Audi Connect services on 3G, i.e. Google Earth, online destinations, etc., just stick to your US Mobile sim and account.

If you lose your 3G down to 2G only, that's another story and will require a modem update by the dealer and an active myAudi T-Mobile Audi Connect account. Do a search - there are several threads available on the subject.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow thanks for the write ups!